PDA

View Full Version : Z3 guts... Where to Buy?

Kerby
03-14-2012, 06:16 AM
I might be keeping the beast.

so that being said... where can i buy new OEM Z3 transmission guts?
Looking to buy I guess everything and install it in my A3 case.

Can you guys point me in the right direction? Thanks,

Ba82Ep3
03-14-2012, 09:22 AM
Its touch n go man. Youre best sourcing a used trans and plan for a rebuild/replace of whats torn up. The trans you are likely to find (because of age) may not have had their TSB done... so youll automatically need to replace 3rd syncs. In the end its still a costly endeavor, but if you do the work yourself youll only need $150 in tools. Weigh tthat against labor cost, and trusting a shop that might not know what theyre doing.

Either way there are plenty of resources here to walk ya through it...

Kerby
03-14-2012, 09:35 AM
removal and install is gonna be done by me.

Transmission work is gonna be done by a guy that specializes in honda transmissions. He's only going to charge me for the labor.

Ba82Ep3
03-14-2012, 09:50 AM
Well that sounds like a decent deal. In all honesty though, you really only need him to press the countershaft gears off and on the countershaft. You can do the rest with basic tools and some patience. Have you read through the 6 speed trans rebuild thread?

Once its open, and the countershaft parts are pressed off its just a simple measure (calipers) and swap with the new parts. That sounds like an oversimplification... but if you do it... in the end... youll realize it WAS that simple.