PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust ideas

Reaper27
03-14-2012, 02:53 PM
ok so right now I have a Skunk2 RH and a hacked up DC sport cat back (had to have it cut and rewelded to fit with the RH) and I'm not too thrilled with it right now plus it hangs kinda low and I'm wanting to upgrade and switch it out. In the near future I'm going to be replacing the suspension (shocks and springs) and the car will be dropped about 2 in. I've looked into the skunk2 megapower R since Skunk says its garenteed to fit but a lot of people also say that it sits low and I don't want endless scraping on sppedbumps and driveways around town. So does anyone have any ideas of exhausts that don't hang down to the ground and will bolt up to a RH? I'd like to run about a 70mm system if possible so if any of you have any ideas or experience with set up similar to minelet me know what worked for you.

Ba82Ep3
03-14-2012, 02:59 PM
70mm is gonna hang low no matter what brand. Its the only way a mass produced exhaust system will fit a mass produced car with minimal rubbing and noise. There are just too many tolerance variables.

If i were to do it all over again... i would find a REPUTABLE shop and have them MAKE me a 65-70mm catback and add my choice of header and muffler. I wouldnt even do it in stainless... just do it in mild steel and have it coated. Im pretty much over buying 80% of the available aftermarket parts out there...

Reaper27
03-14-2012, 03:53 PM
Ok, I was kinda leaning toward doing a custom set up. Would I need to get an axle back for it or would that even help? Also would a shop like meinekie be a good choice? I know a few guys that work at one and they are pretty knowledgable at what they do

Blah1219
03-14-2012, 04:03 PM
What engine are you running?

Ba82Ep3
03-14-2012, 04:13 PM
I think knowing the people/quality of work, is more important than what place they work. As long as they can do mandrel bends, chop pipe, and weld properly then youre likely good to go.

As far as axleback goes... you need a different axleback if you want true 70mm all the way back.

Personally, i dont think there is anything wrong with the stock axleback, and if my EJ would look right with dual tips out the back, i would have an EP axleback on it... and match piping size from the header (collector in my case) right up to a donut flange for the EP axleback.

The WHP gain you get between 2.75 and 3.00" isnt as significant as the WTQ in the midrange you retain if you stay around 2.75". Its always a tradeoff between WHP and WTQ, chassis clearance, and NOISE. lol Id rather hear the engine sing than exhaust...

Ba82Ep3
03-14-2012, 04:16 PM
I need to add that i lean more towards OE parts use and performance... and making the best of both with minimal aftermarket influence. My posts on stuff like this will definitely be biased... so remember it is MY idea of what is good... so take it with a grain of salt. lol

Draw7Seven
03-14-2012, 04:27 PM
Honestly I agree with Ba82Ep3, but if you don't have a stock axleback laying around just grab an OBX twin loop. It's a Mugen rip-off and will stay pretty quiet in the low ranges and scream up top. But just do all the piping custom and remember with the width that the majority of the time unless it's a track car, you're going to be between 2-5k rpm, don't go buying an exhaust that gives you 2 more hp at 6500k...