PDA

View Full Version : Engine build questions.

Powers
03-14-2012, 10:45 PM
So as some of you know I am a newbie to hondas. I've been going back and forth on which way Id like to go for my ep like should I boost it or should I do a all motor build. From the searching I did it seems like a k24 is really the best platform to start out with. So ill probably start searching for a k24a1/a2. I know I'm going to absolutely need kpro, no if ands or buts. My ultimate goal would be to have about 250-275 whp and as much torque as I can get.

So back to the boosted or all motor thing. Which one would give the best to go with as far as torque is concerned? Personally im really leaning towards the all motor build. So I plea to the k24 gurus....help me please.

Ba82Ep3
03-14-2012, 10:57 PM
K24a1 block/crank.
k24a2 rods/wristpins
k24z7 pistons/ringset (11.0:1)
k20z3 head (complete)
RRC IM/Hybrid Racing 70mm TB (port matched)
Hytech header
JRSC @8psi

Build it with all OEM components and enjoy 350+whp. Add the $ up and cry... lol

Ba82Ep3
03-14-2012, 11:02 PM
Yeah all of that is close to $7k -/+ sourcing some used parts. Then you gotta have a trans to make use of it. Thats another couple G's.

You can drop $10k in a nice k swap easily...

Powers
03-14-2012, 11:02 PM
K24a1 block/crank.
k24a2 rods/wristpins
k24z7 pistons/ringset (11.0:1)
k20z3 head (complete)
RRC IM/Hybrid Racing 70mm TB (port matched)
Hytech header
JRSC @8psi

Build it with all OEM components and enjoy 350+whp. Add the $ up and cry... lol

Just the guy I was hoping would tune in! I hear ya on the money and crying. Thats how it was when I started looking at the reciepts after I did the Small Block Chevy and 700r4 to my Jeep Wrangler. But 350+whp is overkill for me. I have no need or want for all that power.

Ba82Ep3
03-14-2012, 11:05 PM
Then drop $3k off the list and about 50+whp. That setup without the JRSC would still be a beast... prolly everybit of 300whp/230wtq.

Powers
03-14-2012, 11:12 PM
Then drop $3k off the list and about 50+whp. That setup without the JRSC would still be a beast... prolly everybit of 300whp/230wtq.

Well then let me take out my pen and notepad. Would a itr tranny be good with that setup? Im hoping to do this in stages like start out buying kpro first then go and get the tranny and after that start working on building the motor. The way I did it with my jeep was get all the supporting mods first and then went balls deep into the V8 swap and Im hoping to do the same with this.

Ba82Ep3
03-15-2012, 06:12 AM
Thats actually a great way to start. You can also source parts of your build individually... since that list is full of parts from different platforms. That would give you time to rebuild/finish any work to that section, and manage to empty your wallet a tad slower at a time. lol

The complete k20z3 head CAN be the most expensive component on that list.

The Hytech header can be the next most expensive piece.

KPro is up there too.

As far as a trans goes, sourcing a used k20z3 trans with plans for a rebuild is pretty much best. Its the closest thing youll get to an ITR 6 speed trans with an OEM LSD. The rebuild plans are mainly because a lot of the older trans had a TSB for 3rd gear synchros. Unless you track down the VIN with a dealer that will give you the time of day, you wont know if it ever got done. So, plan on crackin open both transmissions, ordering a few new parts, and making a kick ass 6 speed with LSD and mechanical reverse lockout (theres a 6 speed rebuild thread in the trans section that will be helpful).

Will that trans be helpful on a k24? Absolutely. Will it be a tire roaster? Yep. But i know what traffic is like there... youll definitely be able to appreciate creeping in traffic in 1st gear... and then when the interstate frees up... being able to jump in the left lane w/o having to drop 2 gears to go somewhere. Just mash the gas n go. IF you decide that the gears are too short for you... just add an easily sourceable RSX-S 4.3FD. It will be inexpensive to get the ring gear and the countershaft... since most people ditch them in favor of the 4.7FD you would already have.

If you add a 6th gear to your EP trans its a cheap way to get a 6 speed, but you have taller gears, and 2 cone synchros on 3rd gear up. The k20z3 trans has 3 cone syncs (carbon coated). If you decide the EP trans gearing is too tall... youll have to source a JDM 5.0FD and countershaft... and thats $500 just in parts.

Ba82Ep3
03-15-2012, 06:16 AM
You need to meet up with a local (well hes in Gloucester but i still call him local) his name here is K20AEP3. Chris has a JRSC'd k24 with a legit ITR trans. Go for a ride with him if you wanna know what 350whp and short gearing feels like... : )

Powers
03-15-2012, 07:20 AM
Ok I'll have to look him up on here. Also would a 5 lug conversion be a smart idea with this amount of power for more strength and the fact that I can get a 17x8 or 17x9 rim and run 235 or 245 tires?

AKEP
03-15-2012, 08:37 AM
that and rsx-s brakes to stop all that power too.