PDA

View Full Version : Question on caliper and rotors

tatsu666
03-15-2012, 12:46 PM
So my 03 is still running oem rotors and i've been getting pulse braking for a while. I think changing the rotors should solve the problem. but i'm thinking of throwing the Type S caliper on as well. I know everyone did the 5 lug swap to put on the Type S caliper, but i was wondering if it's enough if i get a bigger rotor to fit the bigger caliper, but keep 4x100. Perhaps someone can tell me other concerns other than just the rotor size for that caliper?

Thanks!

tinman5
03-17-2012, 03:22 PM
The easiest thing to do is getting the rotor re-drilled to the 4 lug pattern. The trick however, is finding someobe to do it, unless of course you have access to a drill press.
Keep in mind there are liability issues that a given machine shop will not deem worth the trouble, and by the same token the first place you go to will simply quote you a price, take your money and safety be damned.
I personally have no problems with a dual drilled rotor, I do however advise you go over the new holes with a file or dremel. Chamfer the edges to help resist cracking.

fir3monk3y69
03-17-2012, 09:31 PM
why not just get wilwood big brake kit if you dont want to change your bolt pattern. Thats what i want to do when i get $$$ but one can only dream

AKEP
03-17-2012, 09:34 PM
or you can go ep3 5 lug and use rsx caliper and rotor. or like tinman said just get the rotors redrilled to fit the 4 lug. never heard of anything happening with dual drilled rotors. up to you. type s upgrade is kinda spendy but if you have the money go for it. i just picked up a rsx master cylinder and prop valve for $50.

you should see if you can get the oem ones resurfaced.

tinman5
03-18-2012, 11:37 AM
The only other concern with going 5 lug of course will be sourcing wheels. Could be cheap, could be expensive. Fortunately for me my S13 is 5 lug and I am something of a wheel whore so going 5 lug on the EP was an easy decision for me I ran the least aggressive wheels I had for a couple of months until I picked up an alternate set.
The Wilwood set up is a good value, but I was able to piece up my Type S brakes for about half the cost.
New rotors front and rear with warranty was under 150, I paid $30 for used S2k calipers and $10 for the seal kits and a new Type S m/c was something like $60. I will probably order up sone Russell or Goddridge lines here soon just for the sake of completing the system. Hope that helps a bit.

RhINoX^
03-18-2012, 11:46 AM
I saw a thread not to long ago for a guy who upgraded to 280mm Mini front breaks. Rotors are 4x100 and all was done for cheap. Search it if you are interested.