PDA

View Full Version : need HELP... can't open/close my driver door w/key

pdubski
03-15-2012, 10:54 PM
Okay, so here is my problem... I cannot open the driver's side door using my key. I have to open the car through the passenger side and open/lock the door through the inside. When the door is open I cannot push the locking knob down to lock the doors, the door has to be closed for it to stay down.

What could the issue be? Also, I only have one key for the car no remote opener. If I get a remote key fob and click it to unlock, should it open even with the problem I'm having?

Thanks in advance!!!!

gamma6
03-15-2012, 11:00 PM
Maybe the door lock actuator?

pdubski
03-15-2012, 11:15 PM
to my understanding the door actuator is the part that locks/unlocks the knob if you push your remote key fob, it's the "motor" that pushes it up. could be wrong though...

gamma6
03-15-2012, 11:27 PM
As far as the door not manually locking while open is normal cuz my car does it, but if the acuator is siezed it wouldnt allow movement... But then again u wouldnt be able to lock from the inside... So u use the switch thing on the door to lock from the inside or the manual pushing of the lever correct?
Dont know much of the issue just trying to help

pdubski
03-15-2012, 11:34 PM
^yup i either use the switch or manually push the knob up/down. I didnt mean to offend, thanks for your help mate!

JoelzEP3
03-15-2012, 11:46 PM
If you want to lock the driver door while its open, pull and hold the inside handle open and then switch the knob down then let go of the inside handle. That should work. When I bought my second ep the actuators did not work so I had to manually lock/unlock my doors.

gamma6
03-15-2012, 11:48 PM
No worries... but reading the diy on the actuator, it seems like other ppl have had that issue or it would "act" up then they replaced it and it worked again... If it were a simple fix id suggest that but u will have to buy a part then install it which some say is a pain while others say its an easy task...

JoelzEP3
03-15-2012, 11:50 PM
No worries... but reading the diy on the actuator, it seems like other ppl have had that issue or it would "act" up then they replaced it and it worked again... If it were a simple fix id suggest that but u will have to buy a part then install it which some say is a pain while others say its an easy task...

Yeah thanks to that DIY thread I bought the actuator and replaced it, and now my doors unlock with the remote key fob.

gamma6
03-15-2012, 11:57 PM
Andyman97: The remote and electric switch use the actuator. The actual lock mechanism is mechanical. Your electric actuator has failed. Pulling out the handle and using your key strictly uses the mechanical assembly and does not use the actuator. Everything works as it should except for the actuator.

Since u have no remote its kinda hard to single out ur problem although all the quick reading i did ur problem is resolved with the actuator... Gl dude

pdubski
03-16-2012, 10:33 AM
can anyone confirm that it's probably the actuator?

Jdmdomo
04-02-2012, 09:42 AM
I have the same problem with my 02 ep3 but on the passenger side.

But on mine I can't open the passenger door , not iven with the key .

I got only 1 key and the remote , but if I press the remote , they only open the look for the trunk ..lol

I have to go on the driver side door put the key and open manually .

Wired .

ghil1984
04-02-2012, 12:33 PM
im not trying to be a mechanic here but try to open the panel of your door maybe some cable just got loose open both driver and passsenger door and try to see if all the cable is in same place hope this will help....

15000rpms
04-03-2012, 06:14 AM
im not trying to be a mechanic here but try to open the panel of your door maybe some cable just got loose open both driver and passsenger door and try to see if all the cable is in same place hope this will help....

I second that. If its not that then, there's not much to the door.

Jdmdomo
04-04-2012, 11:56 AM

Well let me check it out . And I post soon what I found . Ok?

MugenReplica
04-04-2012, 12:29 PM
Don't ever rule out that you may have a door from another Ep3. Even clean carfax's sometimes have accidents on them.