PDA

View Full Version : Revs faster dropping because of A/C

EP3Lov3
03-20-2012, 02:01 PM
I was just cruising home from the gas station and it's hot as hell in Chicago now (87 f) so I turned on the A/C full blast and noticed that my revs drop really fast when changing gears as if I had a super light flywheel. Is this normal for our cars or is something not working right? Thanks in advance

gtolio
03-20-2012, 02:27 PM
I would guess that you're just observing the resistance the motor is going against when it's driving the A/C compressor as opposed to "free-wheeling" it when the compressor is off.

Probably nothing to worry about unless it's really drastic.

EP3Lov3
03-20-2012, 03:25 PM
It doesn't seem drastic, it was just kinda weird for me experiencing it the first time lol thanks buddy!

RotaryGreg
03-20-2012, 05:05 PM
yeah, AC compressors can take up to 15 hp to run, although the one in the EP3 is a scroll type, which should take alot less, around 5hp. but still, thats alot of load on the engine when you concider you've closed the throttle and the fuel has been cut to allow the revs to drop while shifting.

mitchlikesbikes
03-20-2012, 05:12 PM
i can feel a considerable jolt when i kick the AC on doing 75. 130hp A3 for the lose haha

sleepy ep3
03-20-2012, 10:26 PM
Its called parasitic loss if I remember right.

RotaryGreg
03-21-2012, 05:10 PM
i can feel a considerable jolt when i kick the AC on doing 75. 130hp A3 for the lose haha

lol also, the compressor will click off when you rev the engine out. my rx8 was pretty bad for that. you'd be cruising along and want to pass someone, or you're holding a gear up a long hill and as soon as you go over 5000rpm, the compressor clicks off and that extra 15 hp feels pretty cool. haha.

i rarely use the AC anyways, I love having the windows down and the top open. even when it would be more comfortable to have the AC on instead, i'd rather have the breeze.

EP3Lov3
03-23-2012, 05:20 AM
lol also, the compressor will click off when you rev the engine out. my rx8 was pretty bad for that. you'd be cruising along and want to pass someone, or you're holding a gear up a long hill and as soon as you go over 5000rpm, the compressor clicks off and that extra 15 hp feels pretty cool. haha.

i rarely use the AC anyways, I love having the windows down and the top open. even when it would be more comfortable to have the AC on instead, i'd rather have the breeze.

Lol so I can pretend to have vtec when my AC is on =)