PDA

View Full Version : k20z1 tranny not going into 5th easy

the_real_7
03-22-2012, 09:32 AM
hey guys just did a k20z1 engine a tranny swap , Im having a hard time finding the 5th gear coming back from the 4th . . . is there any modding i have to do to the ep3 shifter ? , ive only been driving stick all my life and definitely it being a pain

Ba82Ep3
03-22-2012, 11:27 AM
Any grinding? Make sure your cables arent crossed and your hydraulics are bled properly?

the_real_7
03-22-2012, 02:33 PM
Any grinding? Make sure your cables arent crossed and your hydraulics are bled properly?

no grinding at all , and will go into gear , but i have to go in a weird place to the right and look for the notch to slide in , very difficult cables don't look crossed , im guessing hydraulics are bled cause I'm catching gears 1 - 4 easy , anything else could it be

the_real_7
03-23-2012, 05:59 AM
ok maybe this makes more sense, on all cars when you go into 5th , you go the furthest right on stickshift then up and your in 5th gear , in my car i go right but have to come back 1inch to get into 5th , why do i have to come back a inch now. . . if anyone understands help would be great

USAF EP3
03-23-2012, 02:36 PM
Because you probably don't have a reverse lockout solenoid engaged like I do. It's because that extra travel is for getting into reverse. You'll get used to it, try to go easy into 5th kind of like going from 2nd to 3rd, let it follow through. Don't force the travel in like your old 5spd trans you will break stuff.

Ba82Ep3
03-23-2012, 03:00 PM
Hmmm... is the shift shaft hitting your airbox? It moves higher the further over you go on the shifter. Have a friend manually move the shifter through the gears (engine off) and watch to see if the airbox moves up as he goes into 5th... just an idea.

the_real_7
03-23-2012, 08:24 PM
Because you probably don't have a reverse lockout solenoid engaged like I do. It's because that extra travel is for getting into reverse. You'll get used to it, try to go easy into 5th kind of like going from 2nd to 3rd, let it follow through. Don't force the travel in like your old 5spd trans you will break stuff.

This make so much man USAF EP3 makes sense now , was nervous. . . I had a k20z1 swap and i used the ep3 ecu and sent to hondata , so i have no reverse lock out , ok im just going to have to get used to this soft shift like your saying , no forcing lol paid to much for this tranny even had the 06 lsd installed , definitely going to take time to adjust

Hmmm... is the shift shaft hitting your airbox? It moves higher the further over you go on the shifter. Have a friend manually move the shifter through the gears (engine off) and watch to see if the airbox moves up as he goes into 5th... just an idea.

thanks man i was thinking that to , untill you remind me about the reverse lockout usaf ep said that , im going into where to reverse lockout would be ,

Civic5lug
03-24-2012, 05:15 AM

That happen to me once at the track :mangel: thought I bent the shift fork :tehe:

USAF EP3
03-24-2012, 11:52 AM
This make so much man USAF EP3 makes sense now , was nervous. . . I had a k20z1 swap and i used the ep3 ecu and sent to hondata , so i have no reverse lock out , ok im just going to have to get used to this soft shift like your saying , no forcing lol paid to much for this tranny even had the 06 lsd installed , definitely going to take time to adjust

thanks man i was thinking that to , untill you remind me about the reverse lockout usaf ep said that , im going into where to reverse lockout would be ,

Once you tried what I said was it easier to get into 5th then?

Your welcome for the advice, I felt weird going into 5th for the first time as well when I put my K20Z3 trans in my EP.

Remember, you won't have reverse lockout unless you have the solenoid that goes to the shift lever mechanism connected to the wire harness. The EP3 does not have this connector you would need to swap a 02-04 RSX-S harness to have it. You can also wire up your own flip switch to inside the cabin or not shift into reverse while driving (impossible to do unless you're a complete idiot).