PDA

View Full Version : New to Ep3, wanting to tune

gmhoward
03-22-2012, 07:29 PM
hi there, im recently bought myself a 2004 ep3 si and have been looking into performance upgrades.
i already have a AEM cai installed, but im not sure were to go next? Im not too expeirenced in this area and I am not looking for top tier performance, and i wont be racing or anything much like that, im just into spirited driving. I have a relativley limited budget, and idealing wanting to keep the total price tag around $1000 but could spend as much as $1500. thanks in advance, and any help would be apreciated.

Cheers

bluedemonep3
03-22-2012, 07:43 PM
hi there, im recently bought myself a 2004 ep3 si and have been looking into performance upgrades.
i already have a AEM cai installed, but im not sure were to go next? Im not too expeirenced in this area and I am not looking for top tier performance, and i wont be racing or anything much like that, im just into spirited driving. I have a relativley limited budget, and idealing wanting to keep the total price tag around $1000 but could spend as much as $1500. thanks in advance, and any help would be apreciated.

Cheers

full cat exhaust and race headers, that should keep you within budget. Then you could use the rest for some suspension work. Welcome:mbiggrin:

gmhoward
03-22-2012, 08:03 PM
Thanks for the reply. I am way to much of a noob to be installing parts myself. If I were to go and have a shop install the aforementioned upgrades, would I still be in budget? Also, what sort of hp and torque gains should I be expecting? and do you have any recommended brands? Sorry for all the beginner questions.

ep3k20
03-22-2012, 08:52 PM
Thanks for the reply. I am way to much of a noob to be installing parts myself. If I were to go and have a shop install the aforementioned upgrades, would I still be in budget? Also, what sort of hp and torque gains should I be expecting? and do you have any recommended brands? Sorry for all the beginner questions.

header and a exhaust is pretty damn easy to install. there are plenty of how-to's on installs of headers and/or exhaust. i agree tho, those two things, while they wont give HUGE gains, will make a noticable differnce for driving around town. look around ephatch to see who might be selling a used RH and try to find a good deal on a cat back exhaust. you could potentially pick both up for 700 if you find the right deal, then go buy some good lowering springs so your ep doesnt look like its waiting for a flood, and then spend the rest on a good tune up ( ngk spark plugs, synthetic oil, tranny oil change, etc etc) all very basic bolt ons and i think you will be very happy with the results

edit: paying a shop to install these things is gonna cost you probably upwards of 2-300 bucks. dont pay a shop to do such an easy task, think of this as a great opportunity to learn how to work on your car, to better familiarize yourself with your car. if you gain a better understanding of how your car works, and YOU know the out and ends to the car, you will have a greater respect and appreciation for it.

mitchlikesbikes
03-22-2012, 08:55 PM
i agree with these guys^^^

do some searching around, there's a buttfuckload of info around here about different options as far as brands and quality, price, etc.

ep3k20
03-22-2012, 08:58 PM

do some searching around, there's a buttfuckload of info around here about different options as far as brands and quality, price, etc.

lmao thats a new one :mtongue:

mitchlikesbikes
03-22-2012, 09:01 PM
lmao thats a new one :mtongue:

keeping things interesting :thumbu:

bluedemonep3
03-22-2012, 09:08 PM
header and a exhaust is pretty damn easy to install. there are plenty of how-to's on installs of headers and/or exhaust. i agree tho, those two things, while they wont give HUGE gains, will make a noticable differnce for driving around town. look around ephatch to see who might be selling a used RH and try to find a good deal on a cat back exhaust. you could potentially pick both up for 700 if you find the right deal, then go buy some good lowering springs so your ep doesnt look like its waiting for a flood, and then spend the rest on a good tune up ( ngk spark plugs, synthetic oil, tranny oil change, etc etc) all very basic bolt ons and i think you will be very happy with the results

edit: paying a shop to install these things is gonna cost you probably upwards of 2-300 bucks. dont pay a shop to do such an easy task, think of this as a great opportunity to learn how to work on your car, to better familiarize yourself with your car. if you gain a better understanding of how your car works, and YOU know the out and ends to the car, you will have a greater respect and appreciation for it.

buttfuckload rofl, made me cry a bit lol. But yea man just keep your eyes open on here or on the facebook page, usually a lot of good things will pop up. But like ep3k20 said installing the headers and intake is not so hard, there a lot of DIY threads and helpful people on here. as far as brands well i can't vouch for too many being that ive only had an AEM Cold air intake and dc headers, but those work well for me. theres also Injen,Fugita,etc for intakes. Read up on the threads you will find a lot of useful info on this forum.:mwink:

gmhoward
03-22-2012, 09:21 PM
Ok thanks for all the useful info guys, i'll spend some time snooping around the forum and ill see what i can find.