PDA

View Full Version : Quick Compatibility Question

logos22
03-23-2012, 07:16 PM
I'm looking to lower my car this coming week and a guy contacted me about my craigslist ad looking for used drop springs/coilovers and he said that he works for a junk yard that has access to all kinds of used parts. He said that he found coilovers from a 2000 civic (didn't specify what trim) and said that it would fit my 2002 SI.

Is this true? The prospect of cheap suspension parts is tempting, but the whole thing feels kind of weird. Thanks for the help!

gamma6
03-23-2012, 07:20 PM
Ive never heard of them fitting... BUT u can get racelands (cheap adjustable coilovers, use the search box if u want more info) for around 300 bucks

Draw7Seven
03-23-2012, 08:06 PM
Did the 2000 still have double wishbone? Our cars have a McPherson strut setup, but I don't know if they changed it before or after 2000.

logos22
03-23-2012, 11:25 PM
Ive never heard of them fitting... BUT u can get racelands (cheap adjustable coilovers, use the search box if u want more info) for around 300 bucks

I've actually been seriously considering Racelands, but there is always that little voice in the back of my head telling me "you get what you pay for." I googled around and the reviews seem to be mostly positive, but there are always those few who absolutely hate them. I'm not sure how much of the hate is actually justified, or just brand whores bashing other people's attempt to save some cash. Right now, it's between Eibach pro-kit springs on stock shocks or Racelands.

Draw7Seven - I have no clue. The whole thing seems kind of sketch to me. I don't want them to install something that's not supposed to be on my car and then have it break while I'm on the freeway or something.

Anyway else have any insight?

Satinsilver03
03-24-2012, 04:04 AM
The 2000 civics came with double wishbone suspension therefore it will not work......they started putting the macpherson struts in the 2001+ civics.....

Draw7Seven
03-24-2012, 09:58 AM
The 2000 civics came with double wishbone suspension therefore it will not work......they started putting the macpherson struts in the 2001+ civics.....

Well there you have it, that's what I thought... I'd grab some racelands for sure, man.

logos22
03-24-2012, 05:45 PM

Thanks! Saved me some time and money :)

Draw7seven - What is the minimum drop from the Racelands? I heard they "slam," at least from what I've read about them. However, my EP is used strictly for DD and I still need the car to be functional for real life driving (driveways, speed bumps, rough roads, etc). My goal is to achieve about a 1.5 - 2.0 inch drop at the max. Eibach springs seem to be perfect, but I wouldn't be pairing them with performance shocks so I'm not sure if that will negatively impact the ride at all. Although, when comparing the price, the Racelands are only $100 more than the springs which makes them tempting. Then again, I doubt I will ever adjust them after I find my perfect ride-height so it makes the coilovers seem a bit unnecessary. Hmm, choices, choices.

Also, I heard that some people have problems with tie-rod ends or something when they go too low. Would I need anything else in addition to the Racelands?

Draw7Seven
03-24-2012, 06:22 PM
If you're going only 1.5-2" you probably won't need any further modification. Some people get steering creak and increased tie-rod wear on a case-by-case basis, but that tends to happen when you slam the ride. Racelands are popular because of their price and because they WILL slam if you WANT them to. If you don't want them to, you certainly don't have to, and you'll have the convenience of that adjustment if you ever end up changing your mind. If you want to go with springs and struts you can piece those together over time, but I wouldn't fear the Racelands option, especially considering how affordable it is.

logos22
03-25-2012, 02:42 AM
If you're going only 1.5-2" you probably won't need any further modification. Some people get steering creak and increased tie-rod wear on a case-by-case basis, but that tends to happen when you slam the ride. Racelands are popular because of their price and because they WILL slam if you WANT them to. If you don't want them to, you certainly don't have to, and you'll have the convenience of that adjustment if you ever end up changing your mind. If you want to go with springs and struts you can piece those together over time, but I wouldn't fear the Racelands option, especially considering how affordable it is.

Cool, thanks man! Do you think the Racelands would be a pretty doable install for a first-timer? The shop I usually go to wants $400 for work and I would like to avoid that if at all possible.

Draw7Seven
03-25-2012, 08:50 AM
Why, that's exactly what ephatch is for!

http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?55036-DIY-Coilovers

http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?58064-DIY-Stop-your-Racelands-from-clunking

logos22
03-25-2012, 05:37 PM
Why, that's exactly what ephatch is for!

http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?55036-DIY-Coilovers

http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?58064-DIY-Stop-your-Racelands-from-clunking

Wow, these are detailed! Thanks!

Draw7Seven
03-25-2012, 05:51 PM
We play for keeps. Welcome to the hatch!