PDA

View Full Version : New EP3 Owner in NY

joshuafr
03-29-2012, 07:52 PM
Hey everyone, new EP3 owner here, coming from an E36 M3. Loved driving the M3, but Ive always liked EP3s, and Im in college, so I decided to get something a bit more economical. I lost a bit of money in the turnover, but IMO it was worth it as the the M3 needed about the cost difference in maintenance coming up soon (although it was never unreliable, just needed typical maintenance), and the general cost of ownership should just be a lot less.

Anyway, picked this up last week, bought it from the original owners, an older couple, who kept it down south for most of its life till they moved up because theyre in the military. The car has 96k and has been meticulously maintained at the dealer. Only mods are a iPod head unit (a $300+ Kenwood) and tints. Only damage to the car is a small dent on the front bumper which I know I can easily pop out by hand.

Heres the pics:

http://i990.photobucket.com/albums/af27/joshfriedman/Joshs%20EP3/exterior5.jpg

(Damage is pictured here, itll be fixed this week)
http://i990.photobucket.com/albums/af27/joshfriedman/Joshs%20EP3/exterior2.jpg

http://i990.photobucket.com/albums/af27/joshfriedman/Joshs%20EP3/exterior3.jpg

Spotless engine:
http://i990.photobucket.com/albums/af27/joshfriedman/Joshs%20EP3/engine2.jpg

And my old M3 for good measure:
http://i990.photobucket.com/albums/af27/joshfriedman/M3%20for%20sale/008.jpg

Future plans are Konis/Eibach Pro-kit and the DC5 ITR rear sway.
Id like some new wheels, but thats a bit of a way off because of cost probably.

-Josh

EUB44
03-29-2012, 08:11 PM
Buy sportlines they give more drop.

joshuafr
03-29-2012, 08:24 PM
I prefer the looks of the Pro-Kit over Sportlines... Im an OEM+ kind of guy. Also the spring rates of the Sportlines are barely firmer than Prokits so Im not concerned about that. I am considering Ground Controls though.

EUB44
03-29-2012, 08:52 PM
IF you are a oem guy than nothing to say. Just one little recommendation please take off those side moldings.

joshuafr
03-29-2012, 08:54 PM
How do I do that? Heat gun? And is the door flush underneath?

bluedemonep3
03-29-2012, 09:00 PM
How do I do that? Heat gun? And is the door flush underneath?

welcome! nice find bro, car looks clean and maintained. Yea those side moldings gotta go. Im sure they are held by double sided tape, so you can get some floss or fishin line and stick it in thru one corner and pull it back. Then you can just clean up the residue with some goo gone or something. Then wash and wax. GL man and enjoy the forum and car. A lot of awesome and knowledgeable folk in here

joshuafr
03-29-2012, 09:09 PM
Oh cool Ill probably do that when I do the bumper next week. I agree the side would look better flush.

bluedemonep3
03-29-2012, 09:53 PM
Oh cool Ill probably do that when I do the bumper next week. I agree the side would look better flush.

Yea those moldings aren't stock so it will look better

EP3Lov3
03-29-2012, 09:54 PM
Welcome, so much info on here and everyone is really friendly and helpful. Your gonna learn alot

Pandamanda22
03-29-2012, 09:57 PM
enjoy modding and owning the EP3. looks like a good buy

yyi
03-30-2012, 04:47 PM
I would have rather stabbed myself in the eye than go from an e36 m3/2/5 to that......
:shifty

MugenReplica
03-30-2012, 05:00 PM
I would have rather stabbed myself in the eye than go from an e36 m3/2/5 to that......

I dunno, have you ever seen how those plastic water pumps implode on themselves? I'll take a reliable DD Honda any day over the spontaneous implosion of catastrophic expensive fixings the average BMW creates. Oh, and I have an turbo'd E30 to boot. F' the maintenance costs of these old ass Kraut mobiles! I'll eat rice and be happy!

joshuafr
03-30-2012, 05:26 PM

Theyre two different cars, I fell out of love with *my* M3 (although not M3s in general). Im not trying to achieve the same thing with the SI that I wanted from the M3, but I just decided something cheap and reliable that can take me for another 100k without anything too pricey is more appropriate for me right now (Im 19).

Anyway driving the M3 feels amazing though, Ill definitely have another E36 or E30.

I dunno, have you ever seen how those plastic water pumps implode on themselves? I'll take a reliable DD Honda any day over the spontaneous implosion of catastrophic expensive fixings the average BMW creates. Oh, and I have an turbo'd E30 to boot. F' the maintenance costs of these old ass Kraut mobiles! I'll eat rice and be happy!
Yea like I said it needed some maintenance soon (more than one specific item). It would have been a decent chunk and honestly its just a huge load off the shoulders knowing I can have something to drive where I dont have to worry about anything. Once I have a real job and can afford to get everything sorted out once and for all, then Ill get another.

Also I made about $4500 working my part time job over the summer, and when everything that I did over the summer was said and done (gas money, a few small mods, maintenance etc) I had about $1500 left over. The BMW was sweet but Id rather have my money for other stuff.

Id love to see pics of your E30 though!

EUB44
03-31-2012, 09:55 PM
dlt

StimulisRK
04-02-2012, 07:12 AM
Clean! If you're going for new shock/spring setup, definitely do Koni's, but for springs I'd go with H&R. They're the stiffest springs I could find for the EP3. Everyone else makes their springs too soft for comforts sake IMO, which just leads to more $$ down the line replacing stuff.

Or if you're all for looks and cheap, just go with Raceland coilovers - cheaper than any spring/shock setup

joshuafr
04-03-2012, 07:26 AM
Ok, pulled the moldings and cleaned the paint underneath up yesterday. Theres a little but of clearcoat damage around the edges from all of the accumulated dirt, but its way better than it was before. Didnt get to fix the dent as I was short on time so I didnt want to jack it up and take off the splash guard.

Clean! If you're going for new shock/spring setup, definitely do Koni's, but for springs I'd go with H&R. They're the stiffest springs I could find for the EP3. Everyone else makes their springs too soft for comforts sake IMO, which just leads to more $$ down the line replacing stuff.

Or if you're all for looks and cheap, just go with Raceland coilovers - cheaper than any spring/shock setup

Ehh I like H&R as a brand and they would normally be my first choice but I keep reading that dropping that low is bad for the EPs suspension geometry. And Koni's can be used with stock springs, which are obviously the softest you can get, so I dont see why going even firmer would be any issue (albeit not as firm as H&R but still firmer than stock).