PDA

View Full Version : Steering wheel pulls...

02TafWhtSi
01-06-2003, 06:31 PM
Anyone experience this? Whenever the roads around me are uneven (as in half is lower than the other) my steering wheel jerks to the side and my car cuts hard either left or right. Even smaller indentations make the wheel turn on its own and steer the car either left or right. This is really annoying and I was wondering if there's anything I can do to fix this. I have lowered it with Eibach Pro-Kits (1" @ all 4 corners) and have 205/55/zr15 Bridgestone Potenzas on the stock wheels. If anyone can help I would really appreciate it - this is driving me crazy!

02SilverSiHB
01-06-2003, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by 02TafWhtSi
Anyone experience this? Whenever the roads around me are uneven (as in half is lower than the other) my steering wheel jerks to the side and my car cuts hard either left or right. Even smaller indentations make the wheel turn on its own and steer the car either left or right. This is really annoying and I was wondering if there's anything I can do to fix this. I have lowered it with Eibach Pro-Kits (1" @ all 4 corners) and have 205/55/zr15 Bridgestone Potenzas on the stock wheels. If anyone can help I would really appreciate it - this is driving me crazy!
it may be your tires....if I'm getting what your saying. I had some yokohamas on my last car that were about the same size and rating. It seemed that the slightest change in the road...i.e. tar strips, cracks in the road...and the car would try and follow that path and the wheel would jerk left or right...depending on where the part of the road is different from the rest. Hard to explain. I could be totally off, but it may just be the z rated tires.
The reason I say this is, I put on some bfgoodrich tires after I had that problem and it went away..same tire size, but not a race type of tire like the yoko

02TafWhtSi
01-06-2003, 08:02 PM
Thats exactly what I'm experiencing! I knew it wasn't my allignment b/c I just had it done at my dealership and on smooth, straight roads it tracks in a perfect straight line. The only times that it pulls is when the roads have, like you said, indentations or tar strips or potholes...and the Potenzas are Z rated. Is it possible that tire PSI can cure this? In other words, if I inflate them about 5 psi more than reccomended would it stop? I hate to change these tires to the originals - I just spent over $400 on them not 3 months ago. Thanks for the input though.

02SilverSiHB
01-07-2003, 08:09 AM
Thats exactly what I'm experiencing! I knew it wasn't my allignment b/c I just had it done at my dealership and on smooth, straight roads it tracks in a perfect straight line. The only times that it pulls is when the roads have, like you said, indentations or tar strips or potholes...and the Potenzas are Z rated. Is it possible that tire PSI can cure this? In other words, if I inflate them about 5 psi more than reccomended would it stop? I hate to change these tires to the originals - I just spent over $400 on them not 3 months ago. Thanks for the input though.
I don't think tire pressure will work, you can try. I think I pretty much got over it and accepted that it would be that way :) sorry I can't help more

EP33
01-08-2003, 06:56 PM
The same happens to me. If I don't have both hands on the steering wheel and I hit some uneven road (especially when accelerating out of a turn) the car will "dart" usually toward a curb. I have 215s on my car.

chunky
01-08-2003, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by EP33
The same happens to me. If I don't have both hands on the steering wheel and I hit some uneven road (especially when accelerating out of a turn) the car will "dart" usually toward a curb. I have 215s on my car.

I find that to be an artifact of the EPS. the wheel doesn't return to center very quickly under acceleration like regular steering wheels. not necessariliy a problem, but something to keep in mind.

as for the original poster's question, make sure the tire pressures are even left and right.

also, anytime you get stickier tires, they WILL follow the grooves in the road more strongly than less sticky tires. just a price you pay for more grip.

EP33
01-08-2003, 09:06 PM
Chunky you are right. The EPS is kinda slow to react compared to regular PWR STRNG.

chunky
01-08-2003, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by EP33
Chunky you are right. The EPS is kinda slow to react compared to regular PWR STRNG.

careful how you phrase it.

the EPS isn't slow to react - but it is slow to move back to "center" while accelerating compared to regular power steering systems.

try this sometime, find a regular power steering car, turn the wheel all the way to the left or right, and then punch it. the wheel will come back to center pretty quickly. then try it in your si. the wheel will stay to the right or left for awhile or until you nudge it slightly and then it comes back to center.

02TafWhtSi
01-13-2003, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by chunky
try this sometime, find a regular power steering car, turn the wheel all the way to the left or right, and then punch it. the wheel will come back to center pretty quickly. then try it in your si. the wheel will stay to the right or left for awhile or until you nudge it slightly and then it comes back to center.

hmm...I wonder if this is a good or bad thing? I guess I'll try to accept this steering wheel pull now that I realize there's nothing I can do to prevent it unless I swap back the OEM tires. Thanks for everyone's input though - once again ephatch comes through!:)

Surprise
01-13-2003, 06:59 PM
Isn't steering wheel pull called "torque steer" the evil enemy of all high powered front wheel drive cars? I know when I drive my friends Saab Vigen you have to constatly look into other lanes before you accelerate hard from the car, that car would change lanes on you. I don't remember any mag reviews saying anything but good things about the streering system, I think that if there was a problem with anything performance related they would report that.

chunky
01-13-2003, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by Surprise
Isn't steering wheel pull called "torque steer" the evil enemy of all high powered front wheel drive cars? I know when I drive my friends Saab Vigen you have to constatly look into other lanes before you accelerate hard from the car, that car would change lanes on you. I don't remember any mag reviews saying anything but good things about the streering system, I think that if there was a problem with anything performance related they would report that.

torque steer occurs when you're going straight and the car pulls to the right when you hit the gas.

the si's don't have enough torque to do that. the viggen does (200+ ft-lb)

hondas are known for having very little torque steer, partially due to the equal length halfshafts on all their performance cars. but also probably b/c hondas aren't exactly torque monsters.

BarracksSi
01-13-2003, 11:11 PM
I take it that a readjustment to the camber wasn't necessary? Or was it done, but just not mentioned?

Whooopasss
01-14-2003, 10:37 AM
It is called "trailing" .. did you have your car lowered? Then you have a much more agressive camber which would result to trailing.. very common on S2000's. Once you fix your camber (kit) it should go away..

02TafWhtSi
01-14-2003, 04:25 PM
I have lowered it using Eibach Pro-Kits (1" all around) and had it alligned at my dealership a day after the install. I don't have a camber correction kit installed b/c I didn't think the modest 1" drop required it. Also, the pulling seems to be its worst when the weather is cold - I don't remember having this problem in September but since late Novemeber when the temp is below 40 I notice it much more frequently. As an aside, does anyone know what "tramlining" means and is it related to this issue?

myeverlovinsir
01-14-2003, 04:29 PM
I have lowered it using Eibach Pro-Kits (1" all around) and had it alligned at my dealership a day after the install. I don't have a camber correction kit installed b/c I didn't think the modest 1" drop required it. Also, the pulling seems to be its worst when the weather is cold - I don't remember having this problem in September but since late Novemeber when the temp is below 40 I notice it much more frequently. As an aside, does anyone know what "tramlining" means and is it related to this issue?

Tramlining

Our Midas tip for the week concerns tramlining. You may not have heard the term but tramlining refers to the tendency of a vehicle to want to follow longitudinal seams or ruts in the highway.

On a multi-lane highway, many of the lanes are severely rutted from heavy truck traffic. When you follow through those lanes, or if you do a lane change, you'll quite often find that your vehicle almost has a mind of its own. It wants to follow those ruts. And some vehicles can really duck and dive when you're passing through them.

The wider the tires on the vehicle, the more of the problem that you'll have with tramlining and that's one good reason to stay away from oversizing your tires. It's enough of a problem with stock tires. Now, people who modify their suspension, like lower the suspension or go to negative camber for high performance driving are even accentuating this problem more; another reason to keep to a stock setup. However, any vehicle can exhibit the problem of tramlining on certain areas of the highway because of the severe rutting.

The main thing you want to remember is to keep both hands on the steering wheel in the proper position. When your hands are both on the steering wheel in the right position, you'll make the correct steering inputs slowly and carefully to keep the vehicle on course. If you're driving with one hand or your hand's in the wrong position on the steering wheel you're going to have a severe problem. Another good case for staying away from cellphones.

That's your Midas Tip of the Week.

02TafWhtSi
01-14-2003, 06:30 PM
WOW Myever! That really helped! I didn't even know what that term meant before you explained it but it turns out that is my exact problem! Thanks alot! Looks like I'm in too deep though, I do have wider tires and a lowered suspension :(

02SilverSiHB
01-14-2003, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by myeverlovinsir

Tramlining

Our Midas tip for the week concerns tramlining. You may not have heard the term but tramlining refers to the tendency of a vehicle to want to follow longitudinal seams or ruts in the highway.

On a multi-lane highway, many of the lanes are severely rutted from heavy truck traffic. When you follow through those lanes, or if you do a lane change, you'll quite often find that your vehicle almost has a mind of its own. It wants to follow those ruts. And some vehicles can really duck and dive when you're passing through them.

The wider the tires on the vehicle, the more of the problem that you'll have with tramlining and that's one good reason to stay away from oversizing your tires. It's enough of a problem with stock tires. Now, people who modify their suspension, like lower the suspension or go to negative camber for high performance driving are even accentuating this problem more; another reason to keep to a stock setup. However, any vehicle can exhibit the problem of tramlining on certain areas of the highway because of the severe rutting.

The main thing you want to remember is to keep both hands on the steering wheel in the proper position. When your hands are both on the steering wheel in the right position, you'll make the correct steering inputs slowly and carefully to keep the vehicle on course. If you're driving with one hand or your hand's in the wrong position on the steering wheel you're going to have a severe problem. Another good case for staying away from cellphones.

That's your Midas Tip of the Week.
well said ;)