PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know how much the lip on the hub bore sticks out?

b_ron
04-03-2012, 06:43 PM
I'm being lazy and not remove me wheels, but anyone know the length of the hub bore lip on the top of their head?
Around 5mm?

Thanks

AttarixEp
04-03-2012, 06:45 PM
5mm actually sounds about right. Maybe up to 7mm tops.

b_ron
04-03-2012, 07:26 PM
Hmm... so has anyone tried putting spacers just to clear the hub lip to fit other OEM car wheels with smaller hub bores?

AttarixEp
04-03-2012, 07:30 PM
Hmm... so has anyone tried putting spacers just to clear the hub lip to fit other OEM car wheels with smaller hub bores?

Did it on my jetta for this past winter, my stock ep3 wheels bore was too small for the jetta hub. I had a set of 10mm spacers, so I put them on all 4 corners to clear. Never had an issue.

b_ron
04-03-2012, 07:47 PM
Were you on stock studs though? And did you have any problems with vibrations due to it being lugcentric, not hubcentric?

AttarixEp
04-03-2012, 08:04 PM
I had stock lug studs. Still worked

Unless your lug nuts have flat washers on them (certain toyota, lexus, ford trucks) your set-up is lug centric. The taper of the nut is what centers the wheel. A good example is euro cars that have lug studs rather than lug nuts. Aftermarket wheels don't have the hub, or the studs to sit on. It's all held on and centered by the taper of the lug stud. Also why you can't interchange a standard v shaped taper for a wheel like ours that take an acorn taper. It will NOT center properly.

Another thing to do is when you go and have your wheels balanced, have them(or make sure they do this) set up the balancer with a "pin plate". This actually balances the wheel on a lug centric basis so that when they go on the car, they are balanced to how they will be centered on the hubs. The company I worked for started balancing with this set up a couple years ago, and Coats, who makes our balancers, did a study, and over 80% of our balance come-backs were eliminated by pin plate balancing.

b_ron
04-03-2012, 08:27 PM
So is the reason why people experience the vibration (not being hubcentric) because they use say an acorn style nut on a tapered style wheel? Because its not centered properly.

I mean, I think I'm wrong on this one.

AttarixEp
04-03-2012, 08:36 PM
It's very possible. the lug nuts wont seat properly and could work loose. Vibration comes from a lot of possibilities. The acorn taper is a lot more rounded than a standard taper which means it wont fit in the wheel. Same thing with doing it the other way around. The tire could just be out of balance too.

If you use proper lug nuts for the wheels, and torque them all to spec. With or without spacers, on the hub ring or not. You shouldn't get any vibration if the wheels are balanced properly, and the only thing you should notice about how the wheel sits on the car is that it pokes out however many mm the spacer size is. I honestly don't think I've ever even used aftermarket hub rings with aftermarket wheels. Aftermarket wheels are almost always made to be lug centric to make for a more universal fit. I wouldn't worry about putting on spacers and eliminating the hub ring all together.

b_ron
04-03-2012, 08:44 PM
Ahh I see. Lots of good info here. Thanks for your input, I really appreciate it.

Hopefully the lip on the hub is 5mm (or less if possible), then only a 5mm spacer would be needed if I get some other OEM rims with a smaller hub.

mitchlikesbikes
04-03-2012, 08:53 PM
i think it's bigger than 5mm on mine. it's an 05 though so if you have an 02-03 it could be different.

great info from attarix in here

AKEP
04-04-2012, 03:50 AM
also, being both lug and hub centric helps carry the load from the hub to the rim. as oem, the stock wheels carry load from the studs/lugs and hub. when you put on wheels that dont fit the hub you take away that support and the studs are left to carry the rest of the load. the idea of 2800 lbs spinning on 20 little pieces of steel rod bothered me. that massive hub carries a lot of weight. and before i start a forest fire, also the static forces between the faces of the rim and hub/brake rotor also hold some load.

our lugs are called ball seat lugs. if you say acorn at a parts clerk you will get the defacto chrome oem bulb style lug nuts, probably with a 60* taper instead of a ball seat. Don't be suprised when they even say "only european/supercars/nsx have ball seat lugs" - i went looking for oem lugs for my ef and all the people at the parts store looked at me like i was crazy asking for acorn nuts and telling them that the tapered seat doesn't fit. long day.

they have hub centric spacers available. basically a hub conversion kit.

AttarixEp
04-04-2012, 04:12 AM
That used to bother me too until I have to snap studs at work. Those little things take multiple hits from my impact wrench with 800 ft lbs of breakaway torque. Having 4 or 5 of those on every wheel doesn't make me feel too bad. Lol.

b_ron
04-04-2012, 07:05 AM
i think it's bigger than 5mm on mine. it's an 05 though so if you have an 02-03 it could be different.

great info from attarix in here

Well I have an 04, so it should be the same.

Don't hubcentric spacers have a minimum "space" length before it has the hub centric lip on it. So something like 5mm hubcentric spacers don't exist (or do they?)

Plus it would have to be custom made since its back spacing.

RHCP0801
04-04-2012, 11:52 AM
5mm spacers do exist, I had them on my car for a while with 0 problems. Right now I have 15mm all around but they are the spacers with the studs built in, they are also hubcentric and the 04-05 hub size is 64.1, 02-03 is 56.1

gtolio
04-04-2012, 01:21 PM
Tons of good info in this thread. I feel like there should be a sticky with all of this stuff listed. I didn't see one off hand in this section.

AttarixEp
04-04-2012, 01:35 PM
5mm spacers do exist, I had them on my car for a while with 0 problems. Right now I have 15mm all around but they are the spacers with the studs built in, they are also hubcentric and the 04-05 hub size is 64.1, 02-03 is 56.1

Yep. Those type of spacers are hub centric for use with any style lug nut. I have 1 5mm spacer somewhere so to add to the fact they do exist.

b_ron
04-04-2012, 02:40 PM

Oh. So with that 5mm spacer, did you still have the hub lip for your wheel to sit on for it to be hubcentric??

I guess this could actually answer my original question haha.

RHCP0801
04-04-2012, 06:48 PM
yea there was still some space, my 5mm spacers were also hubcentric