PDA

View Full Version : Any info on Koni Sport Kit?

joshuafr
04-04-2012, 01:23 PM
Hi, just wondering if anyone here has any experience with the Koni Sport Kit, which includes Koni Yellows and their matched springs. Im interested in the kit because it is fairly inexpensive, and includes Koni Yellows, but theres almost no info out there on them that I can find. I did see one post where the poster showed it lowered about 2 inches instead of the advertised 1.5, and Im worried that this will adversely affect performance, which is a waste IMO (function>form imo). To give you an idea of my end goal, the alternative for me would be going Koni/Eibach Pro Kit, but these are almost $150 cheaper I think so thats pretty significant.

Thoughts?

MugenReplica
04-04-2012, 01:35 PM
Hi, just wondering if anyone here has any experience with the Koni Sport Kit, which includes Koni Yellows and their matched springs. Im interested in the kit because it is fairly inexpensive, and includes Koni Yellows, but theres almost no info out there on them that I can find. I did see one post where the poster showed it lowered about 2 inches instead of the advertised 1.5, and Im worried that this will adversely affect performance, which is a waste IMO (function>form imo). To give you an idea of my end goal, the alternative for me would be going Koni/Eibach Pro Kit, but these are almost $150 cheaper I think so thats pretty significant.

Thoughts?

What are the spring rates?

joshuafr
04-04-2012, 01:41 PM
I wasnt able to find any info from searching, and I believe I read that someone emailed Koni and didnt get an exact answer. Kinda odd. Maybe ill email them myself.

MugenReplica
04-04-2012, 02:01 PM
I wasnt able to find any info from searching, and I believe I read that someone emailed Koni and didnt get an exact answer. Kinda odd. Maybe ill email them myself.

You definitely want to get the spring rates. I'm sure Koni isn't like Spoon and reversed the spring rates, but you never know and that would be something you wouldn't want on your Ep. Anything reasonably close to the DC5R or Mugen SS rates is pretty perfect for a DD and really makes the rotate in a controllable manner with a decent sized rear sway bar (21-25mm).

Cheep3
04-04-2012, 03:07 PM

With Koni being one of the most reputable shock makers for our cars, http://farnorthracing.com/autocross_secrets18.html I would be very surprised if they weren't very usable if not optimal rates. Keep us posted if you find out the rates!

gtolio
04-04-2012, 03:19 PM
Koni 2012....

Sorry, I had to. Ok, I'm done. Carry on. :mredface:

joshuafr
04-05-2012, 06:09 AM
Just been informed by Koni that the spring rates are "close to oe" and made by Vogtland. Maybe Ill shoot Vogtland an email.

Cheep3
04-05-2012, 02:15 PM
Just been informed by Koni that the spring rates are "close to oe" and made by Vogtland. Maybe Ill shoot Vogtland an email.

If that is the case, you should try to get their RSX spec springs. Should be a slight improvement over oe.

joshuafr
04-05-2012, 03:39 PM
I dont think you can get the springs seperate and if I have to modify the shocks Id rather just get A Spec.

SHHEP3@UB
04-05-2012, 04:19 PM
Here's my first review (post #52):
http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?41336-Spring-Rates-Drop-rate/page4&highlight=koni+sport+kit

and second (post #7):
http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?68219-Strut-spring-combo-vs-coilovers

I have emailed Koni in the past, and they will not give you a spring rate because they are "progressive", honestly I was a bit pissed in their lack of cooperation on the topic. The shocks themselves are excellent, but if you are looking for a specific performance ( autocross, track, ect.) I would go with matching them with eibachs, but the kit is perfect if you want a sporty daily driver. The great thing about the Koni inserts is that they allow a wide range of spring rate pairings. Yes, they do drop you 2" which will require camber kits, and 2" starts negatively effecting handling if you don't do anything else to your setup.

From Koni's website:

"One of the great advantages of KONI adjustable shocks is that there is no specific spring for matching optimum performance. Instead you can adjust your KONIs to match your springs. Most performance springs have a higher spring rate than the vehicle's original springs. Since the shock controls the motion of the spring, increased spring rates require more rebound damping for control and that is one of the reasons why KONIs are rebound adjustable (and some are double adjustable). Using higher rate springs with OE or soft shocks will very quickly overcome and wear out the shocks. The KONI adjustment range is typically about 100% (twice as firm at the full firm settings at the full soft setting) to allow for proper damping of OE springs and high rate performance springs. "

If you want a good read, go through Grassroot Motorsport's build article. They went with Konis and experimented with different spring rates.
http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/project-cars/2002-Honda-civic-si/updates/

Spring rates are only one step of many to set up a car, and I still haven't made up my mind on what I'm going to do next. I'm planning running the sport kit as is because I'm still consider myself a novice autocrosser, then I will start experimenting with suspension setup.

SHHEP3@UB
04-05-2012, 04:24 PM
just want to clarify about the negative effects of lowering your car 2" - with the camber kits and a good alignment (I went sportier than stock, but not super aggressive) you can still flog the car hard and have a hell of a lot of fun, and still be a civil DD. If you are going into competition, then I would worry about it.

joshuafr
04-05-2012, 04:48 PM
Here's my first review (post #52):
http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?41336-Spring-Rates-Drop-rate/page4&highlight=koni+sport+kit

and second (post #7):
http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?68219-Strut-spring-combo-vs-coilovers

I have emailed Koni in the past, and they will not give you a spring rate because they are "progressive", honestly I was a bit pissed in their lack of cooperation on the topic. The shocks themselves are excellent, but if you are looking for a specific performance ( autocross, track, ect.) I would go with matching them with eibachs, but the kit is perfect if you want a sporty daily driver. The great thing about the Koni inserts is that they allow a wide range of spring rate pairings. Yes, they do drop you 2" which will require camber kits, and 2" starts negatively effecting handling if you don't do anything else to your setup.

From Koni's website:

"One of the great advantages of KONI adjustable shocks is that there is no specific spring for matching optimum performance. Instead you can adjust your KONIs to match your springs. Most performance springs have a higher spring rate than the vehicle's original springs. Since the shock controls the motion of the spring, increased spring rates require more rebound damping for control and that is one of the reasons why KONIs are rebound adjustable (and some are double adjustable). Using higher rate springs with OE or soft shocks will very quickly overcome and wear out the shocks. The KONI adjustment range is typically about 100% (twice as firm at the full firm settings at the full soft setting) to allow for proper damping of OE springs and high rate performance springs. "

If you want a good read, go through Grassroot Motorsport's build article. They went with Konis and experimented with different spring rates.
http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/project-cars/2002-Honda-civic-si/updates/

Spring rates are only one step of many to set up a car, and I still haven't made up my mind on what I'm going to do next. I'm planning running the sport kit as is because I'm still consider myself a novice autocrosser, then I will start experimenting with suspension setup.

Interesting. Im thinking that a camber kit is going to offset the savings of the Koni kit so maybe Ill stick with getting prokits. Also I maybe doing autox soon, and I go to school in Buffalo, so the 2" is a big deal for performance and snow clearance imo lol.

You dont/didnt go to UB do/did you?

SHHEP3@UB
04-05-2012, 05:16 PM
I graduated from UB in last May, now going to UC for my masters. Even with the 2" drop, I put on 4 General Altimax Arctic snow tires and I could drive circles around all the SUVs on UB's campus (not to brag), but snow tires are a necessity in western New York. I lived on south campus, and while everyone else was spinning their tires or getting towed out, I would just clean off the windows and drive away. The deepest snow I drove through came past the bumper and up to the grill, and still got through fine. The picture in my avatar was taken after two hours of hooning about a parking lot.

Also add the cost of an alignment into your purchase. And the Konis are inserts, which means you have to pull your shocks apart unlike plug and play assemblies, which is why I had a shop instill mine. There are youtube diys on how to do it if you want to see if you are up to it. And look for a SCCA autocross nivice school, I did the one in Rochester, not sure if the Buffalo chapter has one, but they are definitely worth it.

joshuafr
04-05-2012, 07:03 PM
I prefer the drop of the eibachs so if I need a alignment kit anyway Ill probably just get the Pro kit. And weve been pretty good with snow at UB this year, we had it constantly, but never a ton of accumulation. Anyway I have a set of 14" snow tires from my (stock) EM1 so thats taken care of if i can find some cheap steelies.

And yea Im deffinately doing AutoX with scca this summer, the WNY chapter has them like twice a month right near UB so Im gonna try that out. Im from Poughkeepsie, and our scca only has rallycross so I havent tried it yet lol.

joshuafr
05-19-2012, 08:15 AM
From Vogtland,

"Hello,

the Rates are 23-30 N/mm front and 26-48 N/mm rear"

Ehhhhh those seem really soft....

SHHEP3@UB
05-19-2012, 09:16 AM
From Vogtland,

"Hello,

the Rates are 23-30 N/mm front and 26-48 N/mm rear"

Ehhhhh those seem really soft....

Nice! I kind of stopped looking into springs for now (poor college student money issues as usual) but that's good info to know. You can definitely match stiffer springs with the Konis, i plan on it in the future. I'll be curious to know what you decide on.

joshuafr
05-20-2012, 02:28 PM
Nice! I kind of stopped looking into springs for now (poor college student money issues as usual) but that's good info to know. You can definitely match stiffer springs with the Konis, i plan on it in the future. I'll be curious to know what you decide on.

I think Im going to end up with Pro Kits, but we'll see. I like the drop from the Sportlines, but everything Ive read says that the Prokits are much better. I also like the A-spec for the same price including the tie rod ends, but I prefer having the support of the more popular companies just in case.

Im starting work tomorrow at CIT at UB, so Ill have some sort of income finally, but it wont be much, and I only want to put some of it away towards suspension at a time. Im hoping to have enough by the end of summer though.