PDA

View Full Version : Just bought new Sony head Unit

most_hatedSi02
01-06-2003, 07:55 PM
I just bought this kick ass Sony Head Unit I am getting a Kicker Amp from a friend 400w...do you think that will be too powerful for our factory speakers? I wouldn't mind upgrading them but I don't want anyone cutting at my freakin doors to get them to fit. I also noticed that the way that the factory stereo is in the dash is oddly shaped do you think I"m going to have difficulties when I go to get it installed?

sicivic2002
01-06-2003, 08:05 PM
Nice lookin stereo hope you have an alarm or something. Those are spendy.

most_hatedSi02
01-06-2003, 08:17 PM
Yeah you're right, I got a really good deal on it a friend helped me out so I went ahead and bought it, but yeah I will be getting an alarm on it, I've been reading thru the forums seeing who has what kind and how much they like theirs...My Accord got broken into and they broke out the window to get into it. I've got 35% tint but I think I'm going to have it redone and get it a bit darker....just to be on the safe side. When I get it installed I'll post some pics!

Jpax
01-06-2003, 08:22 PM
If you want you can order the Crutchfield door kit for your car, it will let you mount any 6.5" speaker in the factory location. But If the speaker you mount has a long excursion it will hit the door pannel..... :( .......

most_hatedSi02
01-06-2003, 08:48 PM
So what you're saying is, if I want to install any speakers in there, they will have to be modified....damn this is care is complicated.

Jpax
01-06-2003, 08:56 PM
So what car is not complicated? Its EASY don't be lazy, call Crutchfield and ask for some info.......... or go online.

Are you planing on doing the install your self?

if so plain to have at least a couple of hours and take your time. It will be easy. :D

most_hatedSi02
01-06-2003, 09:06 PM
Are you kidding me, I think my mother would do a better job at installing this stereo than I would. I'm so stupid when it comes to cars...computers are more my thing. I know a guy who owns his own shop that sell rims, stereos, does window tint, so I'll probably take it to him or I'll take it to a Best Buy or Circuit City just so i have someone to blame if it goes wrong. I'm just getting into this whole car thing so excuse my "lazy" tone. I just don't know what the hell I"m doing!

LateSleeper
01-06-2003, 09:22 PM
That is a sweet unit. The video animations and the flexibility to download your own images is wild. :p My only gripe is that it doesn't have a removable face. Your tint will cover that tho. :)

Jpax
01-06-2003, 09:22 PM
Its ok..... I had to LEARN everyone dose....Good idea on haveing a professional do your installation. If you have Never installed a radio before, THIS CAR would NOT be a good one to start on.

Well don't for get to tell them you want the Flush mount kit for your car. The Dash kit will be flush, and the radio will stick out a little.... both of those companys use metra but can order a "scoche" dash kit in Silver. to match. I think thats how you spell it.

Jpax
01-06-2003, 09:24 PM
Heres the part #

iTS A SCOSCHE DASK KIT. the part # is HA1572b its for the civic SI 2002-2003 in SILVER MATCH

most_hatedSi02
01-06-2003, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by LateSleeper
That is a sweet unit. The video animations and the flexibility to download your own images is wild. :p My only gripe is that it doesn't have a removable face. Your tint will cover that tho. :)

Yeah it took someone 5 years to steal the Xplod I had in my accord w/o tint...but this car attracts a lot of attention. The tint is only 35% it's dark at night but daylight you can kinda see in it, I think I need to get it darker...and I've only had it tinted for a week! My tint job only cost me 145 at this shop, I know the guy who owns it...not a bad job at all, some bubbles but he said those will come out....yeah it's goign to be awesome i can't wait.

most_hatedSi02
01-06-2003, 09:34 PM
So if I go to a place and get this installed will they have this dash kit or will I have to order it, if so I need to do that right now, I want to have this bitch hooked up by next Saturday. Cruthfiled has these kits??

JLannoo
01-06-2003, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by most_hatedSi02
Crutchfield has these kits??

They have the black metra kits

Jpax
01-06-2003, 10:04 PM
They (best buy,circuit shity)should have the kits in black like JLannoo said.....

Jpax
01-06-2003, 10:06 PM
This is LateSleeper stereo with silver kit.

nbj1485
01-06-2003, 11:30 PM
the silver kinda looks off...

LateSleeper
01-07-2003, 07:29 AM
When the installer put the radio in for me, I believe that they used the black kit and painted it. It doesn't match perfect but it still looks good to me.

LateSleeper
01-07-2003, 07:30 AM
Here's another pic.

esmith13
01-07-2003, 09:23 AM
How's that CDX-MP70 sound?? I was going to buy one of those this month. I was leaning toward that one for the G-Shock protection. The laptop style CD tray seemed the perfect way to prevent those unwanted skips from a stiff suspension...

Let me know what you think of it.

most_hatedSi02
01-07-2003, 05:41 PM
I'm going to swing into Circuit City tomorrow when I get off of work tomorrow and see how much an install is going to set me back. I work right by one along w/ a Best Buy so I can get it done while I'm at work, I'm getting my Amp tonight Punch 400 and next month I'm getting these subs from a guy I know he's got 4 12" Kicker Comp...I think he's selling them to me and a friend for 200, so I'll be bumpin by spring! Now got to get those darned cheap speakers out the car.

CleanBlackSi02
01-07-2003, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by LateSleeper
When the installer put the radio in for me, I believe that they used the black kit and painted it. It doesn't match perfect but it still looks good to me.
Is that the Metra kit?

most_hatedSi02
01-07-2003, 08:08 PM
Do you think if I use the silver one, and then go w/ a carbon fiber dash it will look stupid?

sicivic2002
01-07-2003, 08:36 PM
Hey I have the MP70 in my car. I got it for $265 brand new. But my install I don't believe even has the right kit.

http://www.digitalpose.com/mbr/1/9636/p/111012_1509435594941307805_vl.jpg

http://www.digitalpose.com/mbr/1/9636/p/111010_5687659852800538813_vl.jpg

Jpax
01-07-2003, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by sicivic2002
Hey I have the MP70 in my car. I got it for $265 brand new. But my install I don't believe even has the right kit.

That kit looks like the standered Civic kit, there is one that fits your car. were did you get it installed? maybe they can fix your kit. :D

sicivic2002
01-07-2003, 09:39 PM
I never thought to question them about the kit. I think I might though.

LateSleeper
01-08-2003, 06:10 AM
Originally posted by esmith13
How's that CDX-MP70 sound?? I was going to buy one of those this month. I was leaning toward that one for the G-Shock protection. The laptop style CD tray seemed the perfect way to prevent those unwanted skips from a stiff suspension...

Let me know what you think of it.

This unit has worked well for me. The sound is pretty good in my opinion and it hasn't skipped on me. The way it is advertised, it's basically guarenteed not to skip. This is my first Sony unit and I am impressed with its functionality. The MP70 looks great with the SI dash too. :cool:

IceD out N CALI
01-08-2003, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by most_hatedSi02
Do you think if I use the silver one, and then go w/ a carbon fiber dash it will look stupid?

it would'nt look stupid but would clash with the carbon fiber kit. how do i know? i jus got the carbon fiber kit and it leaves the silver around the radio and it kinda throws it off. i'd suggest the black one if ur going the carbon fiber route.:)

JLannoo
01-08-2003, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by IceD out N CALI

it would'nt look stupid but would clash with the carbon fiber kit. how do i know? i jus got the carbon fiber kit and it leaves the silver around the radio and it kinda throws it off. i'd suggest the black one if ur going the carbon fiber route.:)

Hmm well I'm going to get the C/F kit and currently have the black dash kit. I was planning on getting a silver kit to go with the C/F so that the door handles still coordinated with something. My radio is silver though,maybe that would be enough.

TravSi
01-16-2003, 04:28 PM
most_hatedSi02, Please let me know the details of your install. I was just up at the Polaris Best Buy today looking at the same unit you have as well as the CDX-MP70. I installed my last stereo so it wouldn't be too bad if I did the install, but I'd rather have someone else do it. Providing they do a good job that is. Also please give your impressions of your head unit. I'll be in the market as soon as I get my tax return :)

BTW, I live in Downtown Columbus and have yet to see another EP on the road. I thought I was the only stud in this town :)

most_hatedSi02
01-16-2003, 05:13 PM
Yeah I'll be taking care of that hopefully this week. What kind of tint do you have, b/c I got pulled over on Campus lastweek for having my tint too dark.

The stereo seems to be really nice, I just hate the fact that I have to drop all this money at once...b/c the speakers are more than likely going to have to change b/c they won't be able to handle the output. I've got a 10" Kicker Comp VR Sub waiting to be hooked up.

The price has dropped on the headunit to 699.99, so I hope you get a great deal on it. Keep in touch!

cryptic02si
01-16-2003, 05:57 PM
I installed my head unit in my ep myself. Crutchfield didn't have master sheets for our car yet, so it was a little confusing, but now that I did it once I could probably do another complete install in like 30 minutes. If you have little or no experience in stereo installs you should still be able to install the head unit with no problems. If I had a digital camera I would have taken pictures, but if anyone wants to do this themselves, I would be glad to help. Just PM or email me.

IceD out N CALI
01-16-2003, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by JLannoo

Hmm well I'm going to get the C/F kit and currently have the black dash kit. I was planning on getting a silver kit to go with the C/F so that the door handles still coordinated with something. My radio is silver though,maybe that would be enough.

thats true it does color coordinate with the door handles. the silver IMO clashes a tad with the carbon fiber look, but not too bad
this of course is just my opinion I could be wrong:o

EnJaNir
01-17-2003, 12:24 AM
why doesnt anyone try going double din instead of using these metra kits if there is soo many problems with them? Also i noticed that soo many of you seem to be installing sony receivers....im a kenwood fan personally

Ocelaris
01-17-2003, 01:41 AM
EnJaNir,
How do you like your X959? I heard the inversion problem was unbearable... that's why I'm going for the x859 instead but it's still in the air. The problem was just that it inverted it's self frequently, which tended to be distracting. Thoughts?

Subject: Re: Sony CDX-MP70 ???
Newsgroups: rec.audio.car
Date: 2002-09-05 10:49:01 PST

"The unit will NOT play VBR (variable bitrate) mp3s correctly. Yes, it
plays all other bitrates without a problem, but only if they are a fixed bitrate (ie not VBR). For me this was a huge thing, seeing that my entire mp3 collection was encoded in VBR.
VBR mp3s will play in the player, but whenever there is a large jump in the bitrate, you'll hear a little 'skip', and this happens often in songs that are encoded in VBR. This happens enough to really annoy you, and keep you from enjoying the song.

If you don't use VBR or never plan to, this unit is great. But if you have VBR mp3s, look for another option. I'm in the process of getting another head unit, one that will play VBRs without a problem.

I've researched into this problem, and found other people have the same
problem too with this unit."

Thought you all might find that interesting?

I'm planning on going with a kenwood unit myself. Far be it from me to criticize, I think the sony head units look bad ass. but Rec.car.audio says kenwood for me. Just wish it looked as cool as your Sony unit. But I need a blacked out flip out front. I'm planning on leaving the stock head unit in, but unplugged, and having a blacked out unit in the bottom.

EnJaNir
01-17-2003, 08:30 AM
Ive had 3 Kenwood eXcelon receivers in my SVX, the 99 i beleive 811 model, the 00 MD, and now the 959. I feel that kenwood has soo many built in options to customize your sound, it just sound superb. When i got the 959 i didnt knwo about the inverted display, at first i tried to turn it off. It is a bit distracting, but not as much due to the location in the SVX, since the SI dash is sooo open it would most likely be more noticeable. I love the deck, if i had to buy another i would most likely buy the 959. The display really doesnt distract me now that i am used to it, and depending on what display you choose to use it is kinda cool.

nbj1485
01-18-2003, 01:56 AM
i like pioneer and alpine the best

Surprise
01-18-2003, 11:58 AM
Nak, HK, then Kenwood/Alpine/Eclipse/Pioneer (All equally good in their own), Jvc, Blau, Clarion, Samsung, Pepboys crap, yardsale, brothers friends brothers stuff, swap meet. IMO

most_hatedSi02
02-11-2003, 08:26 PM
Got it installed, had the digital camera in the car to take a picture but i left the media card in the computer...will take some in the morning!