PDA

View Full Version : "Clunking" noise

Popeye
04-07-2012, 06:20 AM
Ok, so I had a clunking noise before that I figured was the motor mount. (Each one had a tear in the rubber.) I didnt want to spend the money to replace them, so I bought inserts, thinking that would fix the problem. Well, now that they are in, my car is still making a clunking noise. Do ya'll think it's still the motor mounts, or maybe something else? The sound mainly comes when I am in 2nd gear, accelerating in a turn at low speeds. It also does it when I am in 1st, moving slowly like into a parking space or something. (In reverse as well.) I figuerd it was torquing the motor when I accelerate.

561boost561
04-07-2012, 06:47 AM
Check ur rack and pinion there is threads that show u how to add more grease that started in my car I just added some grease noise stopped just a thought!!!

Popeye
04-07-2012, 07:07 AM
This may sound bad, but where the heck do I look? lol

Drew1d
04-07-2012, 07:25 AM
In order to fix it, you need to determine exactly where it's coming from. And that my friend, is the hardest part.

I've had a stuck brake caliper that made that sound, or exhaust hanger that's bent. If something is banging, look for shiny metal.

27rocks
04-07-2012, 09:28 PM
If you found a problem and only "patched" it in order to try to fix yet the same noise and symptoms are there, i would bet money its the same issue you started out with. Get new mounts and put the inserts in those. Or sell the inserts and buy good aftermarket mounts.

EUB44
04-07-2012, 10:39 PM
Check your suspension. I had that problem my Top hats were death

Popeye
04-08-2012, 05:40 AM
Im thinking its not the steering rack. It makes the noise when I turn, but ONLY when Im accelerating in the turn. When they put the inserts in, they didnt notice anything wrong with the metal part of the mounts. Im just REALLY hoping Im not going to have to replace the mounts. I cant afford that.
Can cracks in the rubber cause the clunking?

27rocks
04-08-2012, 08:02 AM
Cracks can't but sometimes what looks like cracks is actually a tear. If you had an actual tear then inserts wont fix it. I would check all rubber parts in the front end area... motor mounts, lower control arm bushings, tie rod ends, ball joints, suspension bolts, top hats and last but not least your axles. Easiest way to check the axles is by getting your car up in the air. Grab one end of the axle then the other, twist them against each other. If they move even the slightest bit they are most likely bad. They shouldn't have any play in them at all. I had a bad axle like that and it make a weird clunking sound every time i put initial load through the drive train.

Popeye
04-08-2012, 08:43 AM
I damn sure hope there isnt anything wrong with the suspension. I recently had the axles, ball joints, and tie rods replaced. I think Im gonna try to get new motor mounts, and see if thats it. Luckily I have another car I can drive, so this one can sit until it gets fixed. Im gonna sell some exhaust stuff that I WAS going to install. Hell, I need my car running RIGHT before I can mod it any....

Supaduck
04-08-2012, 12:44 PM
i had a clunking noise before that sounds somewhat similar, the ONLY problem i had was a slightly loose nut on the front right of my suspension. check to see if it's that. try to pinpoint exactly where the noise is coming from, have a friend outside the car and just try to trouble shoot. you want to get it pinpointed before having to purchase things that may not help at all

ep3_si
04-12-2012, 03:53 PM
I have a clunk sound also coming from my passenger front. Only happens when I make turns that have bumps on the road. But head on bumps has no abnormal sound. When car is up in the air, if you place your hands on the tire at 3 and 9 o'clock and wiggle there's something loose. Had my tie rod replaced, ball joint, control arm and axle. Took it to the shop and dude told me it was the strut that was causing it to move, but how is that?? Check upper bolts and strut bolts. All tight! Any ideas anybody?

Popeye
04-13-2012, 01:11 PM
Does the mount on the driver side ever go bad? It's gonna be hard as hell to pin point this because it's not consistent.

27rocks
04-13-2012, 06:05 PM
Not as often as the front and back ones... have you checked to see if all 4 sub-frame bolts are tight??? Sway bar links??

civicSIracer
04-13-2012, 06:15 PM
its not a motor mount.. its a lower control arm bushing...

whatsvtec
04-13-2012, 06:48 PM
I'll have to test this out. Ive got some spare lcas and energy suspension bushings. I'll post back once I swap em out.

NEO_FOLLOWER2
04-13-2012, 09:32 PM
i was just about say that its the lca....when i first bought my car i had the same issue, luckily i was doing my coilovers at the time and it was very obvious what the problem was when i got underneath the car to put the coilovers on

its probably one of the bushings connected to the lca including the lower ball joint

if you have the capital...dont use the ES bushings

order the mugen or hardrace bushings

the ES bushings are fine to hold stuff but i remember reading that as a suspension bushing they tend to flex and warp after a bit...and you need to oil them

ep3_si
04-16-2012, 01:36 PM
I was thinking it was that. A few years ago the two stud bolts that sticks out of the passenger mount broke. It happen after I bumped the curb at 25-30mph(side to side impact). At that time I had replaced my steering knuckle came with lower ball joint from Honda and picked up a used contorl arm. Also replaced both tie rod ends at the same time. There is also a squeaky noise coming from the front passenger when car jerks, but odd thing is that its louder and more noticeable when car is warmed up.

ep3_si
04-16-2012, 01:44 PM
I have no sway bar. Chopped it off cause I couldn't take off the end links that connected to control arm. Subframe...I'll check it out to see if there's any damaged area since I did damaged that side back then.
Not as often as the front and back ones... have you checked to see if all 4 sub-frame bolts are tight??? Sway bar links??

Popeye
10-09-2012, 07:43 PM
Ok, well, I have checkedit out myself and couldnt find the source. I took it to my mechanic, and HE couldnt find the source of the noise either.
Do ya'll think it could maybe be the steering or something?

Reaper27
10-10-2012, 04:33 PM
I had a similar problem it was a combination of my ball joints and my LCD bushing being completely gone. At fit neither of us (me or my mechanic) could figure out what the problem was after we replaced the ball joints. The noise got better but was still there, then we saw that the LCAs bushings were completely gone and the lca was tapping the subframe underneath it. You could see a shiny spot right underneath the lca on the subframe. Swapped out the bushings and good as new.

soquel1
10-10-2012, 04:37 PM
Mine is making a similar noise. Good to know what things to look at !

Reaper27
10-10-2012, 04:40 PM
It's a common issue that usually happens around 100k miles from what I've seen and read. I'm at 99k right now as the noise start probably 4k or so miles ago. Had to save up to buy parts haha.

soquel1
10-14-2012, 06:11 PM
Replaced my outer tie rod end. My clunking noise no longer happens from taking off but it still happens when shifting and moving along. Albeit not as bad as before. Gonna look into what has been mentioned above....

03Si757
11-04-2012, 07:59 PM
Iv had this exact issue before. When i would accelerate from eithe r a stop or a slow start I would hear it. I replaced my driver side lower ball joint in the knuckle to LCA and it went away. You can purchase new ball joints from a local auto parts store. and rent a manual press or if you have a actual bench press its a easy job to replace. What ever you do, dont cheap out like I did the first time (And now i need to do the same thing again and replace it again lol) and get the Moog branded one. I know for a fact advance auto sells the ball joints.

soquel1
11-04-2012, 09:03 PM
Thanks. I will look at this tomorrow !

02ep3413
11-28-2012, 05:57 AM
Ball joints or alignment?