PDA

View Full Version : Need to remove lower ball joint, need help!

bluedemonep3
04-09-2012, 03:20 PM
Need help replacing lower ball joint. I removed the front LOwer control arm but I can't get the ball joint out. Anyone have input? Thanks

jwdep3
04-09-2012, 04:17 PM
Take the boot off the ball joint then take a hammer and beat it out

MajorJones
04-09-2012, 04:22 PM
you should get a ball joint remover at your local o'reily's/napa/cheacker/autozone whatever is in your area. Than beat the shit outta it... dont be kind to them at all if your replacing them. Mine were so stuck on i just bought a 5 lug swap and rsx lca haha

Goodluck! for some its easy, for others its the biggest pain ever.

mitchlikesbikes
04-09-2012, 04:31 PM
i've learned that hitting the actual metal of the knuckle around the ball joint will also help loosen it up.

02_epdriver
04-10-2012, 09:30 AM
The lower ball joint is my worse nightmare. I just replaced my wheel bearing, well I ordered a new lower ball joint as well cause everytime I have to deal with it, it's never an easy job. I ended up havin to cut it in half and still couldnt get it outta the lower control arm. So I ordered a new lower control arm. Lots of new parts. This time i used anti sieze like a mutha in the hole that the ball joint inserts into and will keep and eye on it. Cause it always seems to be war for me.

bluedemonep3
04-10-2012, 11:58 AM
Took off the ball joint from the LCA now I can't remove one of the wheeel hubs, so effin frustrating

Cornbread475
04-10-2012, 12:10 PM
Just did this on my car. To put it back in, I heated up the knuckle and had the ball joint sitting in ice... lol it slipped right in

bluedemonep3
04-15-2012, 02:01 PM
Round 2 tomorrow. Changing front lower control arms, tie rod ends, ball joints, sway bar end links. Control arms and end links i can do, ball joints and tie rod is harder, anyone have any tips on replacing these without having to take them to get pressed in.?? Thanks in advance.

02_epdriver
04-15-2012, 02:20 PM
Round 2 tomorrow. Changing front lower control arms, tie rod ends, ball joints, sway bar end links. Control arms and end links i can do, ball joints and tie rod is harder, anyone have any tips on replacing these without having to take them to get pressed in.?? Thanks in advance.

Tie rod just takes some mucscle to get loose. Use a marker and mark around where the nut sits on the current threads. Bang out the lower ball joint and use a socket on top of the ball joint and bang it back in. This is what I did. I just used a socket so it would bang up the ball joint. Napa also has a tool you can rent that will allow you to remove and install the ball joint. II have a press and didnt use it

bluedemonep3
04-15-2012, 02:32 PM
Tie rod just takes some mucscle to get loose. Use a marker and mark around where the nut sits on the current threads. Bang out the lower ball joint and use a socket on top of the ball joint and bang it back in. This is what I did. I just used a socket so it would bang up the ball joint. Napa also has a tool you can rent that will allow you to remove and install the ball joint. II have a press and didnt use it

Ok bro i was thinking of banging the ish our of them too lol just wanted to see if anyone had any input. I might get the tool from NAPA or auto zone too. Thanks

02_epdriver
04-15-2012, 02:49 PM
Ok bro i was thinking of banging the ish our of them too lol just wanted to see if anyone had any input. I might get the tool from NAPA or auto zone too. Thanks

No prob. What type did you get?

bluedemonep3
04-15-2012, 03:02 PM
No prob. What type did you get?

i just got the auto zone ones. Its my DD so I dont need any expensive performance ones lol

ep11
04-15-2012, 03:45 PM
Need help replacing lower ball joint. I removed the front LOwer control arm but I can't get the ball joint out. Anyone have input? Thanks

I WISH YOU
GOOD LUCK

My mechanic turned me down when I told him I needed it removed, I guess that pretty much says it all

bluedemonep3
04-15-2012, 04:04 PM
I WISH YOU
GOOD LUCK

My mechanic turned me down when I told him I needed it removed, I guess that pretty much says it all

or it could mean your mechanic is not good enough lol jk

02_epdriver
04-15-2012, 04:18 PM
i just got the auto zone ones. Its my DD so I dont need any expensive performance ones lol

I was asking because their are sealed ones and ones with a zerk that need maint. Like Moog. Also I bringing it up cause the ones that have a grease zerk you should find caps and remove the zerk cause most of the time they wont clear and they run on the drive axel and will jack em up. Just giving the heads up

02_epdriver
04-15-2012, 04:20 PM
I WISH YOU
GOOD LUCK

Time to learn yourself. Well worth it from the money you save on high ass shop labor rates

Slip_Angle
04-15-2012, 09:14 PM
This looks like a good idea to get it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISY8bGof3bQ

02_epdriver
04-15-2012, 10:59 PM

It works when your shit aint siezed up other than be careful when the wrench flys. There is so many techniques to gettin to pop.

bluedemonep3
04-16-2012, 07:43 AM
I was asking because their are sealed ones and ones with a zerk that need maint. Like Moog. Also I bringing it up cause the ones that have a grease zerk you should find caps and remove the zerk cause most of the time they wont clear and they run on the drive axel and will jack em up. Just giving the heads up

It works when your shit aint siezed up other than be careful when the wrench flys. There is so many techniques to gettin to pop.

Thanks guys I've been working on it. It's going well except for the part where my CV boot ripped :( so now I need to replace that as well