PDA

View Full Version : Type One Racing (T1R) Inverted Tie Rods (newest version)

frankdogg
04-10-2012, 10:23 AM
OK, this is somewhat of a review. Consider it my initial review b/c I still need to get an alignment (i did the "eye" alignment) / I still need to get some new tires / and I need to get my rear camber kit installed.

My set up is this:
Buddy Club N+ --- lowered to the point where there is no finger gap and barely tucks...if even that. I think I have like 80k miles on them and they are running strong.
Tires - 215/45 17 Falken 912s (i daily drive my EP)
Sway Bars - Eibach swaybar kit
Rear setup has - Skunk2 LCA / Carbing Tie Bar / and will have an SPC rear camber kit

Install:
pretty simple. Anyone can do it. I think the hardest part is breaking free the bolt that locks the steering arm and tie rod in place. One thing to note is with the previous version of the tie-rods, I couldn't use them with the N+ set up b/c the tie rod ends weren't long enough, but now that they are redesigned, they fit well with more than enough threads left to adjust the toe.

When installing, I noticed that the tapered bolt doesn't sit flush and thought I was given DC5 versions by mistake, but after talking to wayne he says that this is normal with the redesign. So I trust that its ok. Also, b/c of this, I wasn't able to get the bolt tight enough to allow the hole for the cotter pin to be visible. I doubt it'll break free but just to be safe, after getting an alignment i'm gonna loctite it.

Initial Thoughts:
My EP3 has over 150k and I've driven it lowered for 140k miles. Needless to say I'm very use to the bump-steer/stressed "V shape" of the steering rods, etc. After installing the T1Rs, my steering feels very "stock". It's smooth and soft...like if you were to drive a toyota camry...like that. I drove around town and it just feels nice. Steering used to feel stiffer but not anymore. I'm getting use to it. My neighborhood has smoother surfaced roads and update this once I drive through LA.

For now, i think its worth it. Feel free to ask questions and I'll do my best to answer. If you own these, please chime in.

Blah1219
04-10-2012, 11:36 AM
What is your tire profile and wheel size? I want to close as much of a gap there is, but I don't want to scrap. I'm going with much beefier tires. They might be a tad bit taller than stock tires. Would you recommend it for a track stance or a hella flush bullshit stance?

frankdogg
04-10-2012, 12:01 PM
What is your tire profile and wheel size? I want to close as much of a gap there is, but I don't want to scrap. I'm going with much beefier tires. They might be a tad bit taller than stock tires. Would you recommend it for a track stance or a hella flush bullshit stance?

I'm running 215/45 17. In terms of track set up, I think its a good idea. I know Phil (fepster) picked up a pair and he's more of a track set up. IDK on the whole hella flush setup. I don't mess with that area. haha.

Blah1219
04-11-2012, 01:08 PM
This is very useful to me. I thought these were for dumped cars. I'm going with a 225/50-16. That's a .25" taller than your setup. I'm in the neighbor of replacing my front control arm bushings, ball joints, and tie rod ends.

Reaper27
04-14-2012, 06:58 AM
I thought this was for super dropped cars as well, I need to replace my tie rod ends and my ball joints as looking at these or OEM because I'm currently at stock ride height with 225/50/17 (they were free haha) and I plan on dropping the car only about 2 inches so would I need inverted tie rods ends for the toe or would that not be an issue with that drop?

whatsvtec
04-14-2012, 03:38 PM
You would definitely benefit from these whenever lowered more than 1.5" or so

tatsu666
04-15-2012, 07:57 PM
i have the old designs and my mechanics said he can't put it in cuz not enough thread...so it's been sitting in my garage for a while...any suggestions as to what i can do w/ those besides selling them?? i also got the N+ spec coilovers w/ 2" drop.

frankdogg
04-16-2012, 10:24 AM
i have the old designs and my mechanics said he can't put it in cuz not enough thread...so it's been sitting in my garage for a while...any suggestions as to what i can do w/ those besides selling them?? i also got the N+ spec coilovers w/ 2" drop.

sell them and get the redesigned version. its your only option really. unless you change your suspension set up.

USAF EP3
04-16-2012, 04:08 PM

I ran into this issue as well and had to increase my ride height.

I have the older versions on my car as well and the tie rods dont have enough thread to thread in the T1R's to get your total toe to 0.

I ended up having to raise my ride height to about 0.5" lower than stock, any lower and the suspension will force itself toe in.

The ONLY way to fix the toe in issue AND use the old style T1R's is to install upper strut plates that will adjust castor. The more castor you add, the more the steering angle will be force forward and the more toe out you will get.

This is the shit part about having strut-type suspension (Fuck you Honda). :mfrown:

StimulisRK
04-17-2012, 07:01 AM
Can you guys give me a quick rundown on what the inverted tie rods accomplish? I know it corrects the suspension geometry when lowering, but what exactly, just toe-in? Thanks!