PDA

View Full Version : Balancing

02_epdriver
04-10-2012, 10:38 AM
Now ive searched throughout the forum and nothing talks about engine balancing. My question and need opinions is while I have a brand new tsx crank and will have new rods and pistons either oem or aftermarket. still leaning towards oem for the time being will I need these balanced by a machine shop. Is it necessary since they are new parts? Now when they balance them they will be installed in the block? so it can be balanced with a new flywheel? Just trying to soak up all the right info and direction to take this into play so it's done the right time. Reving of the motor no need to have more than 8k since it's the k24a1 head and block even though the head will have k20 internals.

sleepy ep3
04-10-2012, 11:28 AM
Regardless of what everyone tells you, if it would make you feel better to have it balanced, then do that.
I ask for opinions but do what I feel is best in the end. My opinion? Since you are putting time and money into building the car and motor, why wouldn't you put it together the best way you can? Balance it. I did.

02_epdriver
04-10-2012, 11:48 AM
Thanks for a nice reasonable answer. Now they balance when everything is installed in the block right?

AKEP
04-11-2012, 05:16 AM
Regardless of what everyone tells you, if it would make you feel better to have it balanced, then do that.
I ask for opinions but do what I feel is best in the end. My opinion? Since you are putting time and money into building the car and motor, why wouldn't you put it together the best way you can? Balance it. I did. What engine are you running anyways?

Thanks for a nice reasonable answer. Now they balance when everything is installed in the block right?
I don't think so, so heres this (http://www.enginebuildermag.com/Article/48121/understanding_crankshaft_balancing.aspx).

02_epdriver
04-11-2012, 11:26 AM
Thats great acticle thanks AKEP. I understand that it should be balanced. I may have overlooked it in the article but how to they put all componenets together to balance? Is it based all on weighing the crank, rods, piston, flywheel , harmonic balancer with I assume the correct size bearings? Is this right or can you explain.

Would I go to a place and bring all my components them? Sorry for the ?'s just trying to undertsand. I thought that it should be balanced just wanted opinions.

bchaney
04-13-2012, 03:59 PM
I think the assembled crank, flywheel, pressure plate, and crank pulley are put on a machine and spun. The rods and pistons are just weight-matched. I brought the shop my assembled crank and loose pistons and rods. You don't need to bring bearings. Call them up they will walk you thru it.

AKEP
04-13-2012, 08:45 PM
yeah they just simulate the rods and pistons. the crank is spun like a tire balancer and a computer says hey trim this off.

02_epdriver
04-13-2012, 11:55 PM
Ok, I will give the place a call where I will be taking it. The crank was shipped out today and hopefully the rods and pistons will come shortly. What a better flywheel to use with a k24a1 the type s or type r?

USAF EP3
04-14-2012, 12:37 AM
Ok, I will give the place a call where I will be taking it. The crank was shipped out today and hopefully the rods and pistons will come shortly. What a better flywheel to use with a k24a1 the type s or type r?

Boost? Type-S flywheel. Naturally aspirated? Type-R flywheel.

You can still use the Type-R flywheel with boost it's just won't be as effective as the Type-S (heavier).

02_epdriver
04-14-2012, 01:23 AM

You can still use the Type-R flywheel with boost it's just won't be as effective as the Type-S (heavier).

Thanks man, Type S it is then. Easier to obtain and cheaper always helps.

Any idea from anyone how much boost the JRSC will put out with a piston from a tsx? Low I assume from the compression the piston has?

USAF EP3
04-14-2012, 02:07 AM
Boost from the S/C is not determined by piston dome shape. It's determined by the size of the crank pulley ratio to the size of the S/C pulley.

Most of your power will be determined by your engine's compression.

AKEP
04-14-2012, 03:21 AM

no, flywheel weight does not affect boost at all. you will spool no sooner or later with a heavier flywheel. all boost depends on is how much hot air is coming out of the exhaust. not the weight of the wheels, not the weight of the flywheel, not the weight of the car. your turbo will spool at the same RPM regardless of weight. with a light flywheel your engine will accelerate faster and you will reach boost faster. I run a prolite flywheel and 16lb rims and i spool at 2k and hit peak boost at 2500 - 3000rpm.

The only downside to running a lightweight fly is your A/C wont like it, it doesn't carry enough inertia for the a/c clutch to carry through sometimes. Light weight flywheels and pressure plates put less wear and tear on your synchros between shifts too.

USAF EP3
04-14-2012, 03:39 AM
no, flywheel weight does not affect boost at all. you will spool no sooner or later with a heavier flywheel. all boost depends on is how much hot air is coming out of the exhaust. not the weight of the wheels, not the weight of the flywheel, not the weight of the car. your turbo will spool at the same RPM regardless of weight. with a light flywheel your engine will accelerate faster and you will reach boost faster. I run a prolite flywheel and 16lb rims and i spool at 2k and hit peak boost at 2500 - 3000rpm.

The only downside to running a lightweight fly is your A/C wont like it, it doesn't carry enough inertia for the a/c clutch to carry through sometimes. Light weight flywheels and pressure plates put less wear and tear on your synchros between shifts too.

I meant to convey something along those lines. Alas, I'm tired and it's late and I'm getting screwed at work. Trying to pass the time lol. I hate exercises and alert status.

02_epdriver
04-14-2012, 08:24 PM
Well maybe a lighter flywheel then. I dont have ac anymore so not worried about that.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk

AKEP
04-15-2012, 03:41 AM
I meant to convey something along those lines. Alas, I'm tired and it's late and I'm getting screwed at work. Trying to pass the time lol. I hate exercises and alert status.

fuck exercises. im over it. lol

02_epdriver
04-15-2012, 03:33 PM
Another question for all the exp builders here. Now I will be changing everything out of the k24a1 head I got. My main question here is, when I get my porting done and I was anticipating a 3 angle valve job. Am I safe to be able to use stock valve diameters or is that going to require oversize. On another note when port matching most will match the TB with IM. Now if I'm going JRSC would I still have the charger matched with the TB? Thanks

02_epdriver
04-15-2012, 05:41 PM
ALso what are thoughts on having the oil jets installed into the block? Is it really necessary?

02_epdriver
04-18-2012, 11:46 PM
Look what finally came in today. New with 0 miles.
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k202/dborovansky/mail2.jpg

AKEP
04-20-2012, 01:32 AM
stock valve sizes, the 3 angle doesn't enlarge diameter of the valve seats, just cuts down into the head.

if you are using forged internals on the block you don't need oil jets. cast parts do, do help keep them cool, i haven't heard of it being necessary. not having jets puts more oil pressure in the system and mostly that just goes to the head.

02_epdriver
04-21-2012, 04:54 AM
Gotcha thanks for the info man

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk