PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!! I was replacing front struts and cant get it back together

AEspi
04-23-2012, 11:48 AM
I am a noob at mechanical work so replacing the struts got me feeling pretty pro. But I have a problem on the driver side, please excuse the terminology if its not all correct, but the rotor/hub wont go back to being vertical so that the strut attaches to it. I have the passenger side back together and it went together fine.
I also replaced my springs last year and the rotor/hub had no problems attaching back to the strut. IDK what went wrong but it seems to be that the axle is the problem.
I read on another forum someone that had this same problem but on the passenger side. They said I can put it into gear and try spinning the rotor and push occasionally and it will find the grooves again. but this did not work. when i put it in gear and spin the rotor it wont fix it. Am i just not pushing hard enough? any tips on leverage? I did notice the other tire spins the opposite direction (and it s supposed to?). Does that mean the problem has nothing to do with the axle?
Any help is greatly appreciated as this is my DD.

bluedemonep3
04-23-2012, 11:56 AM
I had the same problem, if it is what i think it is, the two bolts didnt want to line up, it felt as if it wasnt going in well. It took me about 2 days, for something that should have taken hrs, so i finally got over it and just hit the spindle with a mallet, i guess it might have been popping out a bit cause after that,voila, back together. But make sure you use a mallet or you might damage the spindle and the nut will not screw in. Also becareful you dont pop out the axle or tear the CV boot. Not sure if this will help. But Good Luck

AEspi
04-23-2012, 12:43 PM
yeah wont line up, but worse. I cant get it anywhere near lined up. so your saying that by smacking it with a mallet it should loosen something up the go back upright?

bluedemonep3
04-23-2012, 01:42 PM
I'm assuming your talking about what the red arrow points to. And the second pic shows where I hit it with the mallet. Now I had the disc off, and the spindle nutt off. So it was basically just the hub on there with the spindle sticking out.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a271/ronaldo_/hub.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a271/ronaldo_/33a36d84.jpg