PDA

View Full Version : Cigarette lighter fuse blown

EP3driver
04-24-2012, 06:20 PM
I am seeing a little mystery with the cigarette lighter socket in my EP3. It blows every 3 weeks or so. I plug my radar detector there, as have been for the last 4 years with no issues, same detector. Now I am finding the fuse blown twice in 3-4 weeks after I start the car and plug the detector I find the fuse is blown. I replaced it with another one today for the second time. Anyone has this issue? The wiring in this car is all OEM unmolested, mint.

USAF EP3
04-24-2012, 07:16 PM
Your detector is most likely pulling more current than you think it is. Probably pulling just barely enough to go over the max rating of the fuse but not enough to completely blow it at one current pull.

If you think this isn't the problem, check your battery. If it's old and needs replacement, anything drawing current from it will draw more than usual and shit will start acting up.

If your battery is good to go, try getting a power inverter from 12V DC to 120 AC and use a AC to DC power supply for your detector.

I'm just thinking of everything that could be wrong using my electrical background. It could something as simple as a loose wire that is grounding out somewhere.