PDA

View Full Version : ITR transmission build....

Powers
04-28-2012, 07:05 AM
Ok so let me give a little back ground on use and goals. Eventually I am planning on doing a k24a1/k20z3 frank. I plan on taking my car to the track maybe twice a month and tend to do a lot of well...spirited driving in between.

During my spirited driving on the highways here...which is pretty much everywhere (im sure ba82 can agree with that) I'm starting to get a grind going into 4th gear at high revs anywhere between 5-just about redline. So its time to swap the transmission out basically. The z3 transmission was going to be the one to go with but I found a guy back at home in new york that sells jdm motors and transmissions. My brother said hed do the 45 minute drive there to pick up a ITR transmission for me.

So with the ITR transmission I plan on rebuilding it just for piece of mind and to make sure that the recall is done on it. I know ba82 has a D.I.Y transmission rebuild thread so I am not worried there. But I am curious on what would you guys do to the transmission to build it up. Make it a little stronger shift a little smoother...basically make it so that it can take a beating. And where would I find these parts? Also where can I find a mechanical reverse lock out? And what clutch/flywheel combo would be best to go with this? Thank you, Powers.

AKEP
04-28-2012, 08:54 AM
honda. honda mtf. dont bang through the gears anymore. act prolite flywheel, cc stage 4 clutch. ep3 trans has mech lockout? dont really need it, should be on the type r tranny, it has both electronic and mechanical? good luck.

Powers
04-28-2012, 03:44 PM
I always thought the reverse lock out was through the ecu, and to keep reverse lock out with a different transmission you would need to put in a mechanical lock out. I am a newb to this. The only other vehicle I had was my 95 wrangler which has a carb chevy 350 and a automatic 700r4 that was built by a shop. So I am trying to learn a lot on this car.

USAF EP3
04-28-2012, 04:38 PM
The reversse lockout is controlled by the ECU through a solenoid that is attached to the shift lever mechanism.

It only comes on the 02-06 RSX-S shift lever mechanisms. You would need to get the the whole shift lever from one.

Even when you get that you're still not done, to make it work you need the connector for it, which the EP3 doesn't have. So in essence you would need to swap your engine harness for an 02-04 RSX-S harness just for that ONE connector clip to have the ECU control the reverse lockout.

I have the Z3 trans in my car, I don't have reverse lockout. I have been driving it like this for over a year and I don't see how you can get into reverse when shifting into 6th. You would have to consciously force in there to actually get it in reverse while driving forward.

That lockout is only there to cover Honda's ass from complete dolts and idiots that really don't know how to drive.

AKEP
04-30-2012, 06:34 AM
also, mythbusters proved you can't put a car into reverse while moving. the 5 spd has a mechanical lockout now that i'm more awake to say so, the 6spd, is electronic. i have converted my 5spd into a 6spd and the only reason i can see you'd want one is to keep you from over shooting 5th from 4th, you end up in the corner of reverse and its hard to figure out where you are once you're lost in transmission limbo. but once you get used to it you don't need a lockout and you can feel where you start entering reverse territory.

so yeah, you don't need it, its more for 4th-5th gear conveinience rather than saftey from accidental reverse from 5th.

but yeah usaf ep3 is right too. the lockout is more work than its worth. 6spd ecu, and harness at the least. probably a ctr shifter or something too.

Ba82Ep3
04-30-2012, 08:41 AM
Mechanical lockout in the 6 speed is achieved only through using all of the 6 speed shift/rev forks and shift shaft assy (its also in the write up). It works with or without the solenoid.

It basically means if youre shifting through the gears normally from 5th to 6th you would have to move to neutral before the forks allow you far right into reverse. So you would have to press in the clutch, move from 5th to neutral and then to reverse. Pressing in the clutch and moving from 5th to 6th you feel the gate to reverse is closed if you press slightly to the right as you move to 6th.

If youre sourcing a true ITR trans then it has all you need for mech and elec lockout... elec wont work unless you use an RSX engine harness and ECU (unless you fashion something up yourself). As far as 'bulletproofing' it... carbon synchros on all gears (check ClubRSX), and frequent fluid changes. I couldnt get Honda MTF to hold up longer than a weekend... but i did wheel the shit outta my EP (always came out smelling burnt). GM Synchromesh is working pretty well for me now (friction modified additive) and the Pennzoil 'equivalent' (half the cost of GM) doesnt even come close on the carbon synchros.

Dem cloverleaf exits there provide daily laps for the shift happy at heart... you need to hook up with the boys from s2ki to hit the backroad runs in Northern VA. They usually start/end the day at Pierces BBQ, or some other eatery and roll pretty deep. Out here i gotta look out for loose cows and fawkin deer... but the roads are really too rough to have a lot of fun. :mfrown:

Powers
04-30-2012, 02:20 PM
Mechanical lockout in the 6 speed is achieved only through using all of the 6 speed shift/rev forks and shift shaft assy (its also in the write up). It works with or without the solenoid.

It basically means if youre shifting through the gears normally from 5th to 6th you would have to move to neutral before the forks allow you far right into reverse. So you would have to press in the clutch, move from 5th to neutral and then to reverse. Pressing in the clutch and moving from 5th to 6th you feel the gate to reverse is closed if you press slightly to the right as you move to 6th.

If youre sourcing a true ITR trans then it has all you need for mech and elec lockout... elec wont work unless you use an RSX engine harness and ECU (unless you fashion something up yourself). As far as 'bulletproofing' it... carbon synchros on all gears (check ClubRSX), and frequent fluid changes. I couldnt get Honda MTF to hold up longer than a weekend... but i did wheel the shit outta my EP (always came out smelling burnt). GM Synchromesh is working pretty well for me now (friction modified additive) and the Pennzoil 'equivalent' (half the cost of GM) doesnt even come close on the carbon synchros.

Dem cloverleaf exits there provide daily laps for the shift happy at heart... you need to hook up with the boys from s2ki to hit the backroad runs in Northern VA. They usually start/end the day at Pierces BBQ, or some other eatery and roll pretty deep. Out here i gotta look out for loose cows and fawkin deer... but the roads are really too rough to have a lot of fun. :mfrown:
Thats some good info right there man. And I probably read it in your thread but theres a lot of information to remember in there haha.

You were probably one of the guys that ruined it for me. The cops are constantly watching the exits now because apparently a few years back or so some honda guys were hauling ass through the exit ramps making a race track out of them....atleast thats what some of the senior guys here tell me. And there is a s2k that always parks next to me or i park next to in the parking lot here at the barracks. Hopefully i meet this mystery driver and hell know something about those s2ki boys.

Ba82Ep3
04-30-2012, 04:28 PM
You were probably one of the guys that ruined it for me. The cops are constantly watching the exits now because apparently a few years back or so some honda guys were hauling ass through the exit ramps making a race track out of them....atleast thats what some of the senior guys here tell me...

My bad says, MY BAD. lol

:tehe:

Yeah there are quite a few guys on base that are tied up in s2ki and the backroad runs. Just get to know them and theyll eventually invite you along...

Powers
04-30-2012, 05:07 PM
Alright will do Ill probably have a little trouble keeping up but itll still be fun haha. Oh and favorite exit ramp by far.....going down US-13 north to 64 west...gotta come in hot though.