PDA

View Full Version : 5 to 6 Speed Feedback

Slip_Angle
05-01-2012, 09:35 AM
I'm very close to replacing my 5 speed with an 02-04 RSX-S 6 Speed. I have a DC5-R LSD in my 5 Speed and would swap it over with the 4.764 final drive.

Before I pull the trigger, I want to make sure this is worth doing so I'm looking for feedback from those that have done it. To make comments more relevant, below is my current setup.

K24a2 - 200whp
5 Speed / LSD
EMM inserts
General use is daily driver and autox

Euro-Yellow-Ep3
05-01-2012, 09:46 AM
In for info

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

RHCP0801
05-01-2012, 09:59 AM
From what I have read the 6 speed is just better for gas mileage, I have the 5sp with my k24a2 and would never change to a 6sp

Slip_Angle
05-01-2012, 10:15 AM
From what I have read the 6 speed is just better for gas mileage, I have the 5sp with my k24a2 and would never change to a 6sp

The FD will be 4.764 and the RSX-S 6th gear is the same as 5th on the 5 Speed -- so they will be the same. Acceleration in each gear looks like it will be much better but will require more shifting.

iDom
05-01-2012, 11:54 AM
Closer gear ratios are better for acceleration, of course but yes will require more shifting. People start to talk about the TSX 6th gear when they start talking gas mileage.

The k20z3 (06-11) Si transmission is ideal from everything I've ever read up on. I believe it has the same exact gear ratios as the DC5-R, and the OEM LSD, but cheaper cause it's not JDM as fawwk. Yea, you have to convert a few things, but from what I heard it's easy. I know you already have a LSD, but i'm just throwing out some info.

The boosted guys like the 5-speed with the longer gears, mainly the 3rd gear in the EP3 trans.

I'm not sure which transmissions have which FD, but.. The general rule of thumb is this: Boost = 5 speed, NA = 6 speed. Again, not in ALL cases, but this is what I've seen most commonly. It also makes sense, so I would have to agree with it. And of course, the 6 speed is ideal for track/autoX.

usedep3
05-01-2012, 02:23 PM
Closer gear ratios are better for acceleration, of course but yes will require more shifting. People start to talk about the TSX 6th gear when they start talking gas mileage.

The k20z3 (06-11) Si transmission is ideal from everything I've ever read up on. I believe it has the same exact gear ratios as the DC5-R, and the OEM LSD, but cheaper cause it's not JDM as fawwk. Yea, you have to convert a few things, but from what I heard it's easy. I know you already have a LSD, but i'm just throwing out some info.

The boosted guys like the 5-speed with the longer gears, mainly the 3rd gear in the EP3 trans.

I'm not sure which transmissions have which FD, but.. The general rule of thumb is this: Boost = 5 speed, NA = 6 speed. Again, not in ALL cases, but this is what I've seen most commonly. It also makes sense, so I would have to agree with it. And of course, the 6 speed is ideal for track/autoX.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v504/MJ23FE/Tranny%20Gear%20Calculations/K-SeriesTransmissionTablev3-28-08re.jpg

iDom
05-01-2012, 03:12 PM
Ok, yea, 4/5/6 are a little different, but not anything that'd be noticeable IMO.

Slip_Angle
05-01-2012, 04:59 PM
Ok, yea, 4/5/6 are a little different, but not anything that'd be noticeable IMO.

Different from what? The 5 Speed?

iDom
05-01-2012, 05:00 PM
No, the DC5-R compared to the 06-11 Si

Ba82Ep3
05-01-2012, 10:19 PM
Definitely do the 6 speed swap. Just remember that swapping the FD means you need to change out the countershaft AND the ring gear. So if youre gonna do that, you might as well swap out the syncs on 1/2 gears and be sure to order new countershaft bearings and the retaining bolt.

Slip_Angle
05-02-2012, 10:40 AM
Definitely do the 6 speed swap. Just remember that swapping the FD means you need to change out the countershaft AND the ring gear. So if youre gonna do that, you might as well swap out the syncs on 1/2 gears and be sure to order new countershaft bearings and the retaining bolt.

Oh? Good to know. When I spoke with the transmission shop they asked me similar questions but I wasn't sure how to answer. I assume the countershaft and ring gear come out of the 5 Speed and go into the 6 Speed?

The transmission I have a line on has barely 10,000 miles on it so do I need to replace the bearings or syncro's?

lemonhead228
05-02-2012, 05:12 PM
why not keep the 5 speed and make it to a 6 speed to save gas? or you doing it for faster acceleration?

heres a link for the conversion.
http://www.kseriesparts.com/cr/HON-5SP-2-6SP.html

Slip_Angle
05-02-2012, 05:37 PM
why not keep the 5 speed and make it to a 6 speed to save gas? or you doing it for faster acceleration?

heres a link for the conversion.
http://www.kseriesparts.com/cr/HON-5SP-2-6SP.html

although the 6th gear would be nice, I rarely drive on the highway. My goal is better acceleration, especially for 3rd gear.

lemonhead228
05-02-2012, 06:41 PM
oh i seen daily driven so i put it

Ba82Ep3
05-02-2012, 10:25 PM
Im on my Droid so this will be brief but the EP 5 speed has triple synchros on 1/2 gears only. If you can upgrade to any native 6 speed you will end up with a better trans for sprited driving.

Ill respond on the rest a lil later today...

bchaney
05-03-2012, 07:19 AM
The FD will be 4.764 and the RSX-S 6th gear is the same as 5th on the 5 Speed -- so they will be the same. Acceleration in each gear looks like it will be much better but will require more shifting.

You've pretty much got it summed up there. I guess you're just wondering how much of a difference in acceleration you'll see. That's gonna be hard to determine unless you can find some track times or drive an 02-04 TypeS yourself for comparison.

If I were you I would swap the k20z3 internals into your transmission case. Then you wouldn't have to press gears onto different countershafts or even mess with your ring gear.

Edit - or you could just get the 05-06 TypeS trans... same FD as the EP.

Ba82Ep3
05-03-2012, 08:28 AM
Oh? Good to know. When I spoke with the transmission shop they asked me similar questions but I wasn't sure how to answer. I assume the countershaft and ring gear come out of the 5 Speed and go into the 6 Speed?

The transmission I have a line on has barely 10,000 miles on it so do I need to replace the bearings or syncro's?

The FD ring gear and countershaft are a pair. The RSX is 4.3 and the EP is 4.7. If you want 4.7 FD you will need to take the EP countershaft apart and press on the RSX gears, and use the EP ring gear on the LSD (replace the bolts).

10k isnt a lot of miles on bearings, so thats your call... but i would still check the 1/2 syncs for abnormal wear. Gears 1/2 are on the bottom of the countershaft and the hardest to get to without a press. If its already coming apart to swap the FD, and the syncs show signs of abuse, buy replacements off of ClubRSX so its done right the first time.

Again, adding a 6th gear to an existing EP trans is a quick and inexpensive way to have a long gear 6 speed... but the EP trans has double cone syncs on gears 3-5. The big advantage of going with RSX/ITR/FG 6 speed internals is the triple cone syncs on all gears for smoother and faster shifts.

If for some reason the trans IS geared too short for you, you can always reinstall the 4.3 FD in place of the 4.7 and you have a triple cone 6 speed with 'long gears' for no extra cost (unless your paying for installation of course).

Slip_Angle
05-03-2012, 01:55 PM
The FD ring gear and countershaft are a pair. The RSX is 4.3 and the EP is 4.7. If you want 4.7 FD you will need to take the EP countershaft apart and press on the RSX gears, and use the EP ring gear on the LSD (replace the bolts).

10k isnt a lot of miles on bearings, so thats your call... but i would still check the 1/2 syncs for abnormal wear. Gears 1/2 are on the bottom of the countershaft and the hardest to get to without a press. If its already coming apart to swap the FD, and the syncs show signs of abuse, buy replacements off of ClubRSX so its done right the first time.

Again, adding a 6th gear to an existing EP trans is a quick and inexpensive way to have a long gear 6 speed... but the EP trans has double cone syncs on gears 3-5. The big advantage of going with RSX/ITR/FG 6 speed internals is the triple cone syncs on all gears for smoother and faster shifts.

If for some reason the trans IS geared too short for you, you can always reinstall the 4.3 FD in place of the 4.7 and you have a triple cone 6 speed with 'long gears' for no extra cost (unless your paying for installation of course).

I wonder if it's better to just leave the 4.3FD, install the LSD and call it a day. I do have a fair bit of torque so maybe the 4.3FD would be a good choice as well?

Ba82Ep3
05-04-2012, 01:40 AM
It would definitely be less headache and downtime. If the trans has that few miles on it and the 1/2 syncs look fine then it would be kinda silly to pull it apart JUST to install a higher mileage 4.7FD (im thinking mainly about the countershaft and the labor cost if you dont do the work yourself). It isnt like you cant change it later on if you decide the 4.3 isnt right for you. You can go both ways there...

Ive had an NA 200whp k24 and the EP3 trans gearing was great for DD driving, but 3rd and 4th felt a little long for spirited fun. Once it was SC'd... 1st gear was useless if i pressed the gas too much, 2nd was still wheelspin happy (open diff on loaded corners), but the rest of the gears felt great for spirited driving.

Ive only owned an ITR trans on a k20, and it feels like my k24/EP trans setup. I love the shorter gears for around town driving and it feels awesome when i rip on it. The one JRSC'd ITR swap ive driven felt amazing with the ITR trans. He has since swapped to a k24 with the same ITR trans/JRSC and says he rarely uses 1st gear.

It comes down to your driving style and foot work. If youre the type of person that wants to put your foot on the floor and bog the engine down with gear then the 4.3 will be a better choice with the k24. If youre the type of person that likes to modulate the throttle for proper control as part of the driving experience, then the 4.7 would be a better choice with the k24. Either way you have the LSD to help with cornering traction... but i really think the 4.7 would increase your smile-o-meter.

bchaney
05-04-2012, 08:24 AM
I wonder if it's better to just leave the 4.3FD, install the LSD and call it a day. I do have a fair bit of torque so maybe the 4.3FD would be a good choice as well?

If you want a 4.3FD, thats the way to go. If you want a 4.7, swap some 05-06 TypeS internals into your EP trans case with the LSD. Either way, removing gears from shafts is unnecessary.

I went with k24a4 Accord internals with the z3 LSD in my trans build. The 4.3FD and looong 5th are great on the highway (best I've done is 37mpg) but I definitely sacrificed some acceleration. I'm a pretty conservative driver so it doesn't bother me much but I'm sure the 4.7 would be more fun. 1st and 2nd still rip, 3rd is strong, and 4th is decent. If you want to hear how long 4th gear is with the 4.3FD check out the dyno vids on my members ride page (link in my signature). My 4th would be slightly longer than your 5th if you went with the 02-04 TypeS trans.

Ba82Ep3
05-04-2012, 09:41 AM
If you want a 4.3FD, thats the way to go. If you want a 4.7, swap some 05-06 TypeS internals into your EP trans case with the LSD. Either way, removing gears from shafts is unnecessary.

The FD ring gear and countershaft are a pair. If he has 4.3 RSX internals and wants to use the 4.7 EP3 ring gear, he must use the 4.7 countershaft, and vice versa. Trans case discussion is redundant between the two. The installer has to remove 3-5 (and 6th if its a 6 speed trans) solid gears and the 1/2 gearpack and sync hub off of the countershaft using a press.

bchaney
05-04-2012, 12:18 PM
The FD ring gear and countershaft are a pair. If he has 4.3 RSX internals and wants to use the 4.7 EP3 ring gear, he must use the 4.7 countershaft, and vice versa. Trans case discussion is redundant between the two. The installer has to remove 3-5 (and 6th if its a 6 speed trans) solid gears and the 1/2 gearpack and sync hub off of the countershaft using a press.

I'm just saying - why buy an 02-04 TypeS trans and swap countershafts when the 05-06 TypeS trans is the exact same gearing except has the 4.7 countershaft?

The 02-04 TypeS and EP trans cases are the same, but the 05-06 has a different VSS. If you went the 05-06 route, you could just reuse the EP trans case so you don't have to mess with the VSS.

Ba82Ep3
05-04-2012, 12:38 PM
I'm just saying - why buy an 02-04 TypeS trans and swap countershafts when the 05-06 TypeS trans is the exact same gearing except has the 4.7 countershaft?

The 02-04 TypeS and EP trans cases are the same, but the 05-06 has a different VSS. If you went the 05-06 route, you could just reuse the EP trans case so you don't have to mess with the VSS.

Agreed... now that you have specified (not tryna be a dick but, trans stuff needs to be specified clearly... downtime, parts and/or labor arent cheap). Hes looking at an 02-04 trans though, and that puts him in 4.3FD land.

The EP3 VSS can be added to the k20z1/z3 case... as the casting boss is still present. An appropriate sized drill bit, a tap, and some patience, is all you need to get the case to work...

Slip_Angle
05-04-2012, 02:34 PM
It would definitely be less headache and downtime. If the trans has that few miles on it and the 1/2 syncs look fine then it would be kinda silly to pull it apart JUST to install a higher mileage 4.7FD (im thinking mainly about the countershaft and the labor cost if you dont do the work yourself). It isnt like you cant change it later on if you decide the 4.3 isnt right for you. You can go both ways there...

Ive had an NA 200whp k24 and the EP3 trans gearing was great for DD driving, but 3rd and 4th felt a little long for spirited fun. Once it was SC'd... 1st gear was useless if i pressed the gas too much, 2nd was still wheelspin happy (open diff on loaded corners), but the rest of the gears felt great for spirited driving.

Ive only owned an ITR trans on a k20, and it feels like my k24/EP trans setup. I love the shorter gears for around town driving and it feels awesome when i rip on it. The one JRSC'd ITR swap ive driven felt amazing with the ITR trans. He has since swapped to a k24 with the same ITR trans/JRSC and says he rarely uses 1st gear.

It comes down to your driving style and foot work. If youre the type of person that wants to put your foot on the floor and bog the engine down with gear then the 4.3 will be a better choice with the k24. If youre the type of person that likes to modulate the throttle for proper control as part of the driving experience, then the 4.7 would be a better choice with the k24. Either way you have the LSD to help with cornering traction... but i really think the 4.7 would increase your smile-o-meter.

This is really good info. Right now I'm thinking the 4.3 will still provide a good performance gain over the 5 speed with little fuss with respect to installation. Now I just need to source a clutch kit since I'm pulling the transmission anyways. I see CRSX has some good options. Maybe the Competition 1.5?

Slip_Angle
05-05-2012, 12:41 PM
Just so I'm clear, with my k24a2 and the new 02-04 RSX-S transmission, do I match the clutch kit to the motor flywheel or the transmission? I'm not sure if I should be ordering a clutch for an EP3, RSX-S or TSX.

iDom
05-06-2012, 11:17 AM
Just so I'm clear, with my k24a2 and the new 02-04 RSX-S transmission, do I match the clutch kit to the motor flywheel or the transmission? I'm not sure if I should be ordering a clutch for an EP3, RSX-S or TSX.

The biggest variety of clutches offered is to the RSX Type-S.. So get the Type-S flywheel, and the clutch is specific to the flywheel, not the motor or the transmission.

Slip_Angle
05-06-2012, 11:31 AM
The biggest variety of clutches offered is to the RSX Type-S.. So get the Type-S flywheel, and the clutch is specific to the flywheel, not the motor or the transmission.

I wonder what flywheel I have then. My k24a2 swap was done a few years ago. I'm wondering what flywheel the installer used. I'm assuming he used the k20a3 since I didn't change the clutch...

iDom
05-06-2012, 12:05 PM
I personally think an ideal set up would be a ITR flywheel and a clutchmasters stage 3 clutch. I don't have that setup myself, but I have read on multiple forums and from multiple people that have had absolutely nothing bad to say about them. Ba82Ep3 will chime in on that too haha. I think that's what he runs, idk about the flywheel though.

Slip_Angle
05-06-2012, 12:49 PM
I was thinking about getting the basic OEM replacement kit from ClubRSX/Kseries parts. I don't need anything fancy as long as it's reliable. The stock clutch works just fine so as long as this is equivalent, I'm happy. Is the bearing shown in the picture the throw-out bearing or something else?

I'm assuming I should be doing the pressure plate, disc and throw-out bearing right?

http://www.kseriesparts.com/cr/CC-8036-STOCK.html

Slip_Angle
05-08-2012, 05:26 PM
Ordered the Competition Clutch - OEM kit from KSeriesparts.com. They say it's similar to stock but better and I like the stock clutch.

On another note, I mapped out the difference between the RSX-S transmission with 4.3FD and the TSX gearing. They are very close. At 3000 rpm in 6th gear the RSX 4.3fd is at 67.88mph and the TSX is at 70.02mph. For those thinking the TSX 6th gear is the holy grail for the highway, the 02-04 RSX-S is a solid option as well.

I especially see the RSX-S 4.3fd as a very nice choice for use with a K24a2 in the EP.

iDom
05-08-2012, 07:08 PM
How did you like your EP3 5-Speed with the k24a2?

Slip_Angle
05-08-2012, 08:15 PM
How did you like your EP3 5-Speed with the k24a2?

Overall it's pretty good. 3rd is definitely too long. 4th is also too long.. 5th is too short and revs too high on the highway, so it'll be nice to be at a lower rpm, although I rarely hit the highway. The LSD was nice at autoX in 2nd.

I'm really looking forward to the 6 Speed. The one I have being shipped to me only has 10K miles on it. Looks mint.

iDom
05-09-2012, 10:08 AM
Overall it's pretty good. 3rd is definitely too long. 4th is also too long.. 5th is too short and revs too high on the highway, so it'll be nice to be at a lower rpm, although I rarely hit the highway. The LSD was nice at autoX in 2nd.

I'm really looking forward to the 6 Speed. The one I have being shipped to me only has 10K miles on it. Looks mint.

Nice. I would like to have a 6-spd on hand when I put my k24 motor in next week but I can't afford it now, so it'll have to be later. I hope the EP3 trans holds up for the time being haha.