PDA

View Full Version : Powdercoating weakens wheels?

DRP967
05-03-2012, 11:02 AM
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4065/4578255284_77f6699803.jpg
^The color I want to do, Kawasaki green.

Whats up guys, I have a set of Kosei K1 Racing wheels that I want to get powdercoated, (Kawasaki green). Anyways I hear conflicting replies from friends, some say powdercoating weakens the wheels while others say the process wont? I am not looking to have my wheels painted, I have seen some examples of powdercoated wheels and the finish/durability is hard to beat. Also some say its bad for forged wheels but okay for cast wheels? Your knowledgeable input is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance,

Zzyzx
05-03-2012, 02:07 PM
Who ever is telling you that powder coating weakens the wheels doesn't understand the process.

hyu
05-03-2012, 02:32 PM
Who ever is telling you that powder coating weakens the wheels doesn't understand the process.
This... Stop asking that person for advice

Jukka
05-04-2012, 02:41 PM
I've heard that too. A bunch of guys with Evos have said that with the high break temps from tracking the cars, that the powdercoating has actually weakened the rims. It does kind of make sense because of the fact that metal that is exposed to heat will get tempered and become more brittle over time. I don't think that Powdercoating will mean your wheels will crack or break for sure, but why not just go out and get them painted??

b_ron
05-04-2012, 03:10 PM
I find it very hard to believe that powdercoating weakens wheels.

It must go through some extreme-near-melting-point temperatures over and over for it to start to weaken the metal (or I would think).
I don't think any form of racing/auto-x can even come close to such high temperatures, unless they are racing in a volcano or something.

Does anyone even have statistical data on how high the braking temperatures are?
And it's not even the braking temperature itself, I think you have to take account for the heat convection between the two.

gtolio
05-04-2012, 03:28 PM
I dunno, I've heard people swear up and down both ways.

On one hand, I'd say "why do it if there is ANY risk of weakening the wheel", but on the other, I've got to imagine the wheels get about that hot (although maybe not sustained temps) just from the brakes on a tracked car (which is the only place where this will ever be an issue anyways).

Plus, the issue isn't the melting point. Think about it like this: When you park your car in the sun, over time the dash will become brittle and crack. Did the dash ever reach the melting point of plastic? No, but over time sustained temps broke down the molecular bonds in the plastic. Obviously metals are much more impervious to temperature fluctuations than plastic, but at the same time, your dash didn't get to 300-400*F either. I'm not saying I have the answer either way, just something to think about.

b_ron
05-04-2012, 06:52 PM
Yeah I thought it was some sort of "fatigue" in a way with materials and forces, but with temperature. Didn't know the word for it :P

junevtec
05-04-2012, 07:53 PM
isnt paint supposed to protect non painted surfaces i understand u have to bake the paint like when painting a car but i think is a myth it shouldnt weaken the rim at all

DRP967
05-05-2012, 10:05 AM
Here are some replies from other forums where I posted this thread/inquiry.

"Powder Coating for wheels will typically need 390* F for 10 minutes to cure. Now 390* for 10 minutes may seem high but not high enough to weaken the wheels. Think how much heat race wheels are exposed to over a typical race where brakes often get up to 1400*f and above 1000*F for really extended periods of time. To me,it doesn't seem like 390* F for 10 miuntes would really hurt the wheels. Low temp. powders are used in very fine/thin films where flow and smootheness of film is the most important features. Not what you want on wheels.

Based on my 40+ years of experience as a paint formulator including powder coatings."
- Thumper 13

Better yet, for those of you interested check it out (my other threads on the different forums)

golfmk6
http://golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37409

miata.net
http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=459584

Cheep3
05-06-2012, 02:41 AM
Don't tell my wheels they're weakened! 2 years of racing on them with no problems what so ever!

http://i619.photobucket.com/albums/tt279/rrcharp/DSCN1076.jpg

27rocks
05-06-2012, 08:26 AM
This is the first time i have ever heard about this :mrolleyes:

To me this is silly. Being around race cars and seeing lots of different types of cars, I have seen lots of teams with painted, powder coated, anodized, polished wheels.
If you're truly doubting yourself just do a quick search on race cars and see exactly how many different cars that reach WAY higher brake temps then an Ep will ever reach have painted wheels.

StimulisRK
05-07-2012, 12:27 PM
Powdercoating should have absolutely no affect at all on the properties of the metal, as far as I know. Most metals are heat-treated to begin with way higher than 390*F. I'd say wheels breaking is due to cheap wheels/materials and general stress/strain fractures over time.