PDA

View Full Version : Intake Manifold Gasket question

Twisted-X
05-05-2012, 06:23 PM
So I'm currently waiting for my P2R IMG to arrive in the mail for my K24 swap, and I've cleaned up the mating surface as best as I can with a scotchbrite pad and some brake cleaner. My problem is that while the mating surface is smooth to the touch (and fingernail), it is still a bit discolored the color of aluminum rust. Will the plastic IMG make up for surface imperfections finer that i can feel with my fingernail? Should I use a thin layer of Hondabond to make sure? Thanks peeps!

Similar to this:
http://i55.tinypic.com/jkermw.jpg

sleepy ep3
05-05-2012, 09:10 PM
I wouldn't worry about it. You'll be fine.

USAF EP3
05-06-2012, 12:52 AM
Aluminium doesn't rust O_o. It's already "rusted" through a process called galvinization. What that means is that the element aluminium is so reactive that it immediately oxidizes with the oxygen in the air once it comes into contact with it. This happens too quickly for the human eye to see.

AKEP
05-06-2012, 04:01 AM
the grey shit is oxidation you've scrubbed into existence with that pad. use a metal polish and a metal polishing pad. it'll shine it up.

Euro-Yellow-Ep3
05-06-2012, 07:49 AM
Youll be fine,

Twisted-X
05-06-2012, 06:56 PM
Thanks guys. Aluminum does rust, its called aluminum oxide, and looks like white powder. I really should have taken some photos before I started cleaning it. The rust was so bad it looked like hard white uneven eruptions (you could more than catch your nail on it). If I hadn't removed that, I really don't think the gasket would have sealed.

http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu261/jimmyspiffy1986/k24a2intakeport.jpg

AKEP
05-06-2012, 09:16 PM
whenever i've had white crusties on my aluminum it was from paper gaskets. use brass wire wheel to remove any built up stuff, whether it be oxidation or not, it should clean it good enough without jacking up the aluminum casting.

Deadphishy
05-07-2012, 01:42 PM
You need to get yourself some gasket removing pads. They are the little 2 inch discs that you attach to a drill or anything that spins. Red pads are tough and work on aluminum, blue pads are less tough and work on aluminum. Using a red pad on aluminum will remove aluminum, the blue will make it smooth again.

I think they are called Surface conditioning pads.

Either way, your surface looks fine to seal. The IMG will crush in enough to seal around any tiny bumps. One thing to remember is that vacuum seals a lot easier.

Deadphishy
05-07-2012, 01:53 PM
Aluminium doesn't rust O_o. It's already "rusted" through a process called galvinization. What that means is that the element aluminium is so reactive that it immediately oxidizes with the oxygen in the air once it comes into contact with it. This happens too quickly for the human eye to see.

That just sounds silly, Aluminum doesn't rust, because it is already rusted? Well if it doesn't rust then how did it get rusted?

Anyway,

Aluminum Oxidizes, just like Steel Oxidizes (rusts). The beauty with aluminum is that is forms such a small layer of Aluminum oxide that it is almost un-noticeable. This thin layer protects the rest of the metal from Oxidation (Passive Oxidation Protection (Passivation)).
This process can thickened and manipulated with pigment in a process we call anodizing.
Under extreme conditions like heat cycles or the presence of Acid (leaking batteries, radiator fluid) much more pronounced oxidation can occur.

You do not Galvanize (coating in Zinc) Aluminum. That is often used for Steel (like fences, and nails)

USAF EP3
05-07-2012, 02:25 PM
That just sounds silly, Aluminum doesn't rust, because it is already rusted? Well if it doesn't rust then how did it get rusted?

Anyway,

Aluminum Oxidizes, just like Steel Oxidizes (rusts). The beauty with aluminum is that is forms such a small layer of Aluminum oxide that it is almost un-noticeable. This thin layer protects the rest of the metal from Oxidation (Passive Oxidation Protection (Passivation)).
This process can thickened and manipulated with pigment in a process we call anodizing.
Under extreme conditions like heat cycles or the presence of Acid (leaking batteries, radiator fluid) much more pronounced oxidation can occur.

You do not Galvanize (coating in Zinc) Aluminum. That is often used for Steel (like fences, and nails)

Thanks for correcting me, it's been over 8 years since I took chemistry in high school lol. I usually give responses quickly but without going too deep into looking up actual facts, I probably should stop doing that but old habits die hard. I guess you could say I was on the right path and severely strayed off LOL!