PDA

View Full Version : Amp Questions???

smokincivic
01-07-2003, 11:44 AM
Does anyone know how I can wire this amp to make it a 450W x 2 and a 900W x 1, it says that this is possible but I am not familiar with bridging, also is this safe to do without blowing anything??? http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid46/p66b3c944a6bdf13d100927f52b7cf4a4/fcd045bc.jpg

I know my picture is kinda shady it goes from left to right ch4, ch3, ch2, ch1 and the negative is on the left and the positive is on the right for all the terminals, it is a 2 ohm bridgeable to 4 ohm.

thanks

EDIT: here is the link to the auction cuz their pic is a little bigger than mine (this is going to be powering 1 solo baric L7 15" sub with the 900W x 1 bridge and the 450W x 2 will be powering my back 2 6 1/2") Amp (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1382246948)

jaydub
01-07-2003, 12:54 PM
Ok, you see where the speaker connections are, where it says, "BRIDGED MODE." You'd connect the positive and negative to the corresponding leads on the speaker.

smokincivic
01-07-2003, 01:00 PM
I'm an idiot, thanks jaydub! Is this a safe/recommended thing to do (bridging) and I know this isn't exactly a "quality" amp, would you recomend running a kicker solobaric L7 15" off of this amp??

jaydub
01-07-2003, 01:13 PM
hehe well as long as you know it's not a "quality" amp, I won't knock it. ;)

I'd just be careful. It may output 900 watts, but it may not be really clean power, so be careful and certainly don't turn the gain all the way up. :D

Many amps now will accommodate two seperate loads, such as the 900x1 & 450x2 as you're doing it. My only concern would actually be the components you plan to run from it. That's an awful lot of power, and since most components can only handle around 100watts RMS, be sure not to feed them too much, or they won't last thru one song.

smokincivic
01-07-2003, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by jaydub
hehe well as long as you know it's not a "quality" amp, I won't knock it. ;)

LMAO:D I know, I spent so much on the damn sub, then I realized that the sub is 1000, RMS (and I'm assuming the best sound comes from a sub that is running close to it's max RMS BUT NOT is max power), the I started looking at quality amps that were mono 1000W and quickly realized I had bit off more than I can chew as far as moneywise. But thanks for all your help, I'll post picks of the install!

nbj1485
01-07-2003, 03:32 PM
DO NOT BUY THAT AMP!!!

just get a jbl 1200.1 or something...

smokincivic
01-07-2003, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by nbj1485
DO NOT BUY THAT AMP!!!

just get a jbl 1200.1 or something...

why?? ps the jbl 1200.1 is out of my price range, if that were my price range I wouldn't get jbl either (not flaming I have just had several bad experiences with JBL, I'm only buying that amp so I have something until I can afford a real amp

nbj1485
01-07-2003, 04:11 PM
wat is ur price range. the jbl is only $270.

nbj1485
01-07-2003, 04:23 PM
oh yea and wat bad experience have u had...it must have been pretty bad if u are resulting to a pyramid amp...

450 watts to each rear speaker....u got to be kidding me...pyramid puts out fake ratings anyways... u should be amping the fronts if u arent already.

the front is ur sound stage kinda at like a concert. u dont hear music coming from behind u.

Jpax
01-07-2003, 04:32 PM
wat is ur price range. the jbl is only $270.

A JBL 1200.1 for 270!! holly crap....

nbj1485
01-07-2003, 04:34 PM
good thing or bad thing paxie?

Jpax
01-07-2003, 04:46 PM
If that the Price that would be a Great thing...... I like JBL there cheap and run like a champ. i would chose JBL over pyrimaid anyday....

smokincivic
01-07-2003, 04:59 PM
oh yea and wat bad experience have u had...it must have been pretty bad if u are resulting to a pyramid amp...

450 watts to each rear speaker....u got to be kidding me...pyramid puts out fake ratings anyways... u should be amping the fronts if u arent already.

OK, I will try and retype my original response so that it makes sense, I AM FULLY AWARE THAT A PYRAMID AMP IS A POS, however I spent WAY to much on my sub, therefore leaving me only $100 dollars to spend on a 1000W + amp, now if there is any amp out there for under $150 that is better than the pyramid by all means tell me before I buy that POS! As for the JBL the cheapest one I could find was $289 + shipping and that was refurbished on ebay (there may be cheaper but they are still not in my price range). My outlook on it is JBL is just a better version of the POS amps, (its like going to friendly's ..ya its a little more expensive and may be a little better... BUT its still fast food). My bad expereince with JBL is installing it my self and blowing the amp twice (place I bought it from replaced it both times) then I blew it again so I figured I'm a jackass and installed it wrong, so I had it professionally installed and it blew twice more, so I dropped the extra cash and bought myself a kicker and had no such problems and sold the amp to a friend who has also had no such problems and the amp is now 4 years old and still "kicking"

Cliff Notes: I am fully aware that pyramid is a POS amp and is for temporary use only .....but so isn't JBL (only my opinion) and kicker amps rock (again only my opnion)

EDIT: paxie is the stereo install man! st8 up never would have figured out (yes I'm an idiot) how to install my HU (without breaking panels) without those videos

Jpax
01-07-2003, 05:08 PM
Man i wish i had money for a sub i have my JL audio 500/1 sittting BRAND NEW in the box waiting for a SUB.... I'm saving up for a JL 12 W7

Its ok to have good subs and "pos" amp..... I had in my 6th gen civic some PYLE 12" and a Alpine amp... son of a bitch hit like a champ but the subs blew out after a year of use.. ...... it takes time and we learn as we go.... Hell im still learning..and the best part is you cna tell US how the system sounds when you get it together.. :D

smokincivic
01-07-2003, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by PaXiE
cna

OK once again i am an idiot .....what is cna ....trying to put abbreviation into context owns me

Jpax
01-07-2003, 05:14 PM
CNA = CAN

, its my dyslexia, I get excitied and try and type fast but i mess words up.... :D

smokincivic
01-07-2003, 05:19 PM
LOL catching spelling errors apparently owns me as well:D I've just gotten so used to people using internet abbreviations that I can't figure out

jaydub
01-07-2003, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by smokincivic

OK once again i am an idiot .....what is cna ....trying to put abbreviation into context owns me

CNA is a typo. :rofl:

EDIT: And apparently reading the second page owns me too. :D