PDA

View Full Version : VTEC system failure?

Jukka
05-09-2012, 04:32 PM
Today I put my new pretentioner into the car, got my srs code cleared, everything was awesome, hopped on the highway and all of a sudden the car went into limp mode, check engine light came on. Drove the car home, and put the scanner on, and it came up with "VTEC System Failure". Cleared the code, drove it, crossed over to vtec a few times and no issue. I replaced my solenoid and spool valve last year, so it shouldn't be the cause of the issue. I'm thinking what it may be (as I've never done it/never knew about it) but maybe the VTC filter?? I checked the connectors on all of the sensors and they were good, checked the oil level and it was good too, so the only thing I could think of would be the VTC filter or the VTC its self not rotating properly/not oiling properly.

Thoughts on what the issue could be?

AKEP
05-10-2012, 05:14 AM
check filters anyway

gtecd20
05-10-2012, 12:54 PM
x2 give us an update

RHCP0801
05-10-2012, 01:06 PM
check your oil level

Jukka
05-11-2012, 01:35 PM
did check the oil level, everything is fine. Its weird, yesterday, drove the car to school (about a 20 min drive), and was still in limp mode. Left school later in the afternoon, went to work (about 10 minutes), didn't bother trying to see if it was still in limp mode. As i was leaving work, told my friend limp mode rev limiter sounds really stupid, so went to show him, and reved to 5600rpm no problem, didn't cross over to vtec though. Thought it may be because the oil was still cool that it didn't cross over, drove down the road in 2nd gear to get some head into the engine, got onto the main road and ripped it, 6800rpm with full vtec cross over. Tried it a few other times as I was driving home and it kept crossing over. Check engine light even went out.

Today, no issues what so ever with the vtec, everything was great. Left from the school again and it was alright for about 3 blocks and then all of a sudden check engine light came on. Tried crossing over to vtec again, worked no problem. But heres the strange part, get home and threw my scanner on and same thing "VTEC System Failure", even though it crossed over no problem.

Soooo I donno wtf the issue is, but its kinda annoying. I ordered a new VTC gasket/filter, but it wont be in until Monday and I won't be able to install it until I do my intake and coolant flush.

So, oil level is good, solenoid and spool valve replaced last year, and the issue keeps popping up intermittently. Any ideas?

Jukka
05-12-2012, 08:50 AM
failed again...was fine in the AM, left school in the afternoon and was messed up, and stayed messed up all night long. I'm gonna check the connections on all the sections of the vtec system and make sure nothing is loose or broken. If I got time, I'm gonna pull my solenoid off and check the screen/gasket to see if its clogged up...the other thing i'm thinking it may be is the cams might be gauled, mainly because the car is running alot rougher than it has before.

rd02SiR
05-12-2012, 10:26 AM
Do you have kpro?

I had similar issue with my k20a3, would go into limp mode and give vtc oil pressure code. Oil level was fine.

Went into kpro and disabled that one feature lol. Car drives just fine now.

Try resetting the ecu by taking the fuse out for a min or two.

Sent from my awful auto correcting iPhone using Tapatalk

Jukka
05-12-2012, 10:50 AM
no Kpro yet...but i'll try the ecu reset. It might be the issue mainly because it happened right after I had my battery disconnected and reset my srs light.

Jukka
05-13-2012, 05:52 PM
Tried the ECU fuse/reset trick, took the car for a good half hour long run, started trying to cross it over to vtec about 10 min in when it was nice and warm, and everything is awesome now. Thank god I didn't have to go spend a couple hundred bucks on a new engine or replacing the vtec solenoid.

rd02SiR
05-13-2012, 06:42 PM
Nice man!! Glad to hear she's running well!! Now I want VTAAAKKK!!!!!! *angryface*

Sent from my awful auto correcting iPhone using Tapatalk

Jukka
05-14-2012, 11:47 AM
still fucked up....and me in my infinite dumbass-ness completely forgot I have the PDF of the Honda shop manual. So I did the diagnostic the way honda says to do it, and from that, it looks like the vtec oil pressure switch is pooched. So I priced one out for $73 from one of the local jobbers at my cost, so im gonna go order one tonight on my way to work and a new VC gasket set too. At least im not spending $300 on a new solenoid or $600+ on a new motor anymore.

EDIT: I'll post another thread with what they say to do/how to diagnose vtec system malfunction.

StimulisRK
05-19-2012, 03:52 PM
still fucked up....and me in my infinite dumbass-ness completely forgot I have the PDF of the Honda shop manual. So I did the diagnostic the way honda says to do it, and from that, it looks like the vtec oil pressure switch is pooched. So I priced one out for $73 from one of the local jobbers at my cost, so im gonna go order one tonight on my way to work and a new VC gasket set too. At least im not spending $300 on a new solenoid or $600+ on a new motor anymore.

EDIT: I'll post another thread with what they say to do/how to diagnose vtec system malfunction.

Post a link here when you make that thread!

Jukka
05-20-2012, 01:02 PM
http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?68888-DIY-VTEC-System-Troubleshoot

Still having issues with it. I pulled the solenoid off last night to take a looksee and the filter was fine in it, everything looked nice and clean. So i think its something internal (lack of oil pressure or something), so I'm just gonna grab another A3 and throw it into the car with some minor bolt ons.

StimulisRK
05-20-2012, 03:09 PM
I did check my oil, and I was VERY low. I never really thought to check it, I'm not even at 2000 since my last oil change. I reset the ECU thinking it was just the low oil, but the CEL keeps coming back on. I'm hoping mine is just a wiring/short issue from water getting in somewhere. Right after I cleaned out my engine bay, the CEL came on. I'll go through your stepbystep soon hopefully. This LIMP mode is killing me

Jukka
05-20-2012, 06:50 PM
you got a scan tool?? Check the code cuz it could just be something minor. I'd look into it, and also check the connectors on all of the different connections, see if theres anything loose/corroded.

StimulisRK
05-20-2012, 07:46 PM
you got a scan tool?? Check the code cuz it could just be something minor. I'd look into it, and also check the connectors on all of the different connections, see if theres anything loose/corroded.

getting P1259 :(

Jukka
05-20-2012, 07:53 PM
do the step by step in my DIY and make sure you clean the contacts on the connectors to the sensor and spool valve and see what happens. Also if you can find the PDF of the shop manual (I think Mugenreplica has a link in his sig) they list all the same instructions plus a few more. My guess is if you do the full check as per the shop manual, you'll either find your problem, or most likely the solenoid is gone.

Jukka
06-26-2012, 11:21 AM
Well fuck...vtec solenoid keeps messing up. Went out and got price quoted for a new solenoid from my local dealer at $300 CDN (my cost) for a new solenoid. I did some looking online and managed to find a brand new one from Majestic Honda for like $80. So I'm just going to replace the solenoid and have one shipped to my boarder service. So hopefully next week I'll have that fixed and won't have any more issues.