PDA

View Full Version : Koni yellow/ h&r springs or Megan

eternal780
05-10-2012, 08:18 PM
Hey guys my shocks are completely gone and cores port has 20% off Koni yellows comes out to $513 buck for all 4 . Is the Koni/ h&r combo better or should I just save up for some Megans or one piece suspension

kaotik78
05-12-2012, 12:11 PM
What exactly are you looking to do with your suspension? Just lower the car a bit for appearance, maybe autocross on weekends? Koni has an entire sport kit that includes springs with the struts for around 630 on a few sites right now. Once you start looking at lowering extensively, comfort goes right out the window. With higher spring rates you'll feel every little crease, dip and divot in the road and that could get annoying after a while either to you or your passengers.

eternal780
05-14-2012, 08:56 PM
What exactly are you looking to do with your suspension? Just lower the car a bit for appearance, maybe autocross on weekends? Koni has an entire sport kit that includes springs with the struts for around 630 on a few sites right now. Once you start looking at lowering extensively, comfort goes right out the window. With higher spring rates you'll feel every little crease, dip and divot in the road and that could get annoying after a while either to you or your passengers.

As of right now I'm just for lowering and comfort no racing or auto cross I drive this thing 50 miles a day and I would like a smooth ride and lowered

kaotik78
05-15-2012, 03:49 AM
As of right now I'm just for lowering and comfort no racing or auto cross I drive this thing 50 miles a day and I would like a smooth ride and lowered

A nice upgrade/package that would fit your needs would certainly be the Koni sport kit complete with springs. It will require a small bit of labor on your part, using a hacksaw to cut off the top of the front struts only to install the front cartridges, the rears simply bolt up. It gives you a 1.5" drop all the way around with adjustable dampers.

A-Spec suspension would be another but it might not lower you enough for aesthetics, it's around an inch drop but you only need to swap out the bushings in the rear struts with ones for our EP3's or grind them down to fit as they're wider and for the RSX-S.

Coilovers are complete overkill if your just looking to lower the car with comfort, you won't get comfort like the OEM ride your car has. Depending on the spring rate and damper's, coupled with pillow ball solid mounts it can be very harsh and rough. You drive on the street not the Nürburgring..Though sometimes it's fun to pretend :)

eternal780
05-15-2012, 08:44 PM
A nice upgrade/package that would fit your needs would certainly be the Koni sport kit complete with springs. It will require a small bit of labor on your part, using a hacksaw to cut off the top of the front struts only to install the front cartridges, the rears simply bolt up. It gives you a 1.5" drop all the way around with adjustable dampers.

A-Spec suspension would be another but it might not lower you enough for aesthetics, it's around an inch drop but you only need to swap out the bushings in the rear struts with ones for our EP3's or grind them down to fit as they're wider and for the RSX-S.

Coilovers are complete overkill if your just looking to lower the car with comfort, you won't get comfort like the OEM ride your car has. Depending on the spring rate and damper's, coupled with pillow ball solid mounts it can be very harsh and rough. You drive on the street not the Nürburgring..Though sometimes it's fun to pretend :)

Thanks I'll prob pick up the Koni yellows to go with my h and r springs

StimulisRK
05-17-2012, 06:53 AM
I'd go with H&R for springs, they're the stiffest springs (that I know of) made for the EP3. Most of the springs out there aren't stiff enough (imo), they're made more to appease peoples complaints about "comfort" but still want the lowered look. That being said though, H&R springs are in no way "unbearable", I don't find them uncomfortable at all, my mom does

eternal780
05-23-2012, 09:10 PM
[QUOTE=kaotik78;964815]A nice upgrade/package that would fit your needs would certainly be the Koni sport kit complete with springs. It will require a small bit of labor on your part, using a hacksaw to cut off the top of the front struts only to install the front cartridges, the rears simply bolt up. It gives you a 1.5" drop all the way around with adjustable

I'm trying to find a picture on where you would hack the top but can't find , any help thanks

Cheep3
05-23-2012, 11:27 PM
I'm trying to find a picture on where you would hack the top but can't find , any help thanks

http://www.koni-na.com/pdf/boltstrut.pdf

norcalSI
08-21-2012, 07:29 PM
its been a while since i've been on these boards. Is the modification for the koni yellows hard to do? Does anyone have a video? I know there is a link above but i just like to get as much info as possible before i jump into something. I guess i need to build my confidence lol.

StimulisRK
08-22-2012, 12:34 PM
Go to "Advanced Search" and select "Title Only" and do a search for Koni and look through those. There's a few threads I remember reading on it.

poeticfinesse21
08-22-2012, 02:59 PM
its been a while since i've been on these boards. Is the modification for the koni yellows hard to do? Does anyone have a video? I know there is a link above but i just like to get as much info as possible before i jump into something. I guess i need to build my confidence lol.

Here's a DIY:
http://forums.clubep3.com/showthread.php?t=746440