PDA

View Full Version : Weighing pro's and con's before purchase

kaotik78
05-12-2012, 12:51 PM
I'm looking to add a JRSC to my EP3 this year before I finally call it quits with messing around with adding stuff to the car.

Mainly I'm looking at the JRSC Street and Race versions. I'm after reliability, which is why I am not looking at turbo setups.

The motor has 75k on it now, compression is good. My main problem with making a decision is which model to get, the street with power card or race with larger injectors, map sensor and K-Pro and to potentially get all the power out of it, a race header which I can't implement due to state law, visual inspection of a catalytic converter.

I've currently got a DC Sports RSX-S CAI, with a tanabe cat back system, that's about it for engine mods. With the header staying stock I'm thinking more along the lines of the street version.

I've already been told I'll be sorry for doing this and should just be happy with what I have given the current gas prices and having to switch to 93. I've done the math, it equates for my personal usage to around 130.00 more a year, not a huge deal.

What I do have concern with is beating up the motor more than what it was designed for, including the drivetrain. Adding extra strain on the clutch/transmission, including added heat in the summer months from the blower forcing in hotter air, much more with the race version I'm thinking and still leaning toward the street version.

The Mrs say's I'm nuts and the money could be better spent on other things, considering it's around 2500 for the street version alone and given the economy blah blah blah :)

I'd like to get some feedback from some people who have a JRSC street or race version and their thoughts on it. How long have you had it and what issues besides belts breaking have you run into, increased oil consumption/blow by etc.

Thanks!

superchargedk20
05-12-2012, 08:31 PM
I can give u the best advice since I've done the street race , and turbo. In my honest opinion don't even bother at all with a jrsc. No matter what u say ur gona want more power and the jrsc is to limited. 220 whp is what ur looking at with the race kit with boltons. You can find a good turbo kit that can put u way higher in power and be safe and reliable. A supercharger being safer than a turbo is a completely myth. I've owned both and thr supercharger gave me more issues than the turbo. I have no issues with my turbo. The supercharger I had occasianl belt slippage. Not a big problem but zero problems with my turbo in over 2yrs

vbpracer
05-12-2012, 08:32 PM
Dont go with the street kit, it really doesn't add that much besides some nice noice. Go with the race kit and kpro.

Euro-Yellow-Ep3
05-13-2012, 09:50 AM
I can give u the best advice since I've done the street race , and turbo. In my honest opinion don't even bother at all with a jrsc. No matter what u say ur gona want more power and the jrsc is to limited. 220 whp is what ur looking at with the race kit with boltons. You can find a good turbo kit that can put u way higher in power and be safe and reliable. A supercharger being safer than a turbo is a completely myth. I've owned both and thr supercharger gave me more issues than the turbo. I have no issues with my turbo. The supercharger I had occasianl belt slippage. Not a big problem but zero problems with my turbo in over 2yrs
agreed 100%, Turbos are much more reliable and more efficient.

hyu
05-13-2012, 04:50 PM
The only downside of turbos is consistency. Boost leaks, boost spikes tuning/tuners. At least with the jrsc it comes with a power card. It all ultimately depends on your final goals with you car. I found a supercharged car is definitely easier to autox than a turboed one

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G

AKEP
05-13-2012, 05:30 PM
The only downside of turbos is consistency. Boost leaks, boost spikes tuning/tuners.

It's not as bad as you make it sound. if you have a leak, its because you were lazy and missed coupling/tightening a coupler or didn't use dressing, spikes would normally point to bad solenoid setup or a faulty MBC, which you shouldn't mess with untill you've been satisfied with stock wastegate spring pressure, which doesn't spike unless you messed that up (its just one short hose) - a basic turbo kit won't have spike issues and and leaks is from installer error. you can have the same problems installing a supercharger. some ports on the JRSC don't see boost, some do. connect your boost gauge to the wrong one and you'll never see boost. plug your omnipower map sensor in the wrong one and ecu never see's boost either. (which is why you stick with oem under 10psi or go RDX/Hondata with kpro.)

I sat in ben's ep after we installed his supercharger, he noticed it was a bit faster, i couldn't tell.

kaotik78
05-14-2012, 03:32 AM
Hey all, thanks for sharing your different perspectives. I'm just looking to add a little more fun to my daily driver really, with the least amount of headache and problems in the long run. Not looking to hit 230hp or higher, gas prices will kill me in the end. There aren't any real reputable tuners around me that I would feel comfortable working with so I'm leaning more toward the plug and play setups like the power card or K-PRO, although the company that makes K-PRO seems to be very impersonal when it comes to being cordial to it's customers or potential buyers so I may stay away from that all together.

freeme62410
06-06-2012, 07:50 PM
coming from a s/c'ed car. yes it's nice, yes it's easy to install, yes it's reliable, but turbo is the way to go. The supercharger will leave you hungry for more, with very little way to obtain more. You can only go so far (smaller pulley or ported manifold) with a supercharger. It's a tease really! Like he said, he didn't even notice in his friends car. I felt the same way when i first installed mine. It wasnt till i got a smaller pulley until i really noticed a big difference. and even now, i'm saving for my turbo build haha. good luck friend

It's not as bad as you make it sound. if you have a leak, its because you were lazy and missed coupling/tightening a coupler or didn't use dressing, spikes would normally point to bad solenoid setup or a faulty MBC, which you shouldn't mess with untill you've been satisfied with stock wastegate spring pressure, which doesn't spike unless you messed that up (its just one short hose) - a basic turbo kit won't have spike issues and and leaks is from installer error. you can have the same problems installing a supercharger. some ports on the JRSC don't see boost, some do. connect your boost gauge to the wrong one and you'll never see boost. plug your omnipower map sensor in the wrong one and ecu never see's boost either. (which is why you stick with oem under 10psi or go RDX/Hondata with kpro.)

I sat in ben's ep after we installed his supercharger, he noticed it was a bit faster, i couldn't tell.