PDA

View Full Version : Jic majic coilsovers

ilovejdmhoes
05-15-2012, 03:02 PM
Hey guys i have a pair of jic coils... It has a bad pillow ball upper mount and was wondering if its worth rebuilding the coils and try to resell it it...I currently have Megan racing on right now...I know these are pretty rare and expensive so I don't want to trash these bc they just laying in my garage

MugenReplica
05-15-2012, 03:08 PM
Have you tracked down the original producer of the struts? I would be willing to bet JIC did not produce them and outsourced them to somebody else who may or may not be able to rebuild them for you....

MugenReplica
05-15-2012, 05:05 PM
You're welcome.....

Where coilovers are rebuilt and the turn around times can be just as important as the fact they CAN be rebuilt. That's why I list if they can be rebuilt and mention where they can be rebuilt. A high end set like my SilkRoads are FAR from cheap...they are high end, and CAN be rebuilt...abit in Japan since there is no real headquarters in the USA. That's why I always recommend people check where they can get rebuilt, and look into turn around times. Sending a set to Japan and waiting may not be feasible for some people.

Even with Tein, some models require waiting for parts to come from Japan to be rebuilt. JIC Magic is changing product lines to the USA for manufacturing to speed up the rebuild process. Even KSport can rebuilt in the USA.

The difference between cheap and qaulity isn't the ability to be rebuilt...it's the ability to handle hits and sudden impact. It's how long they last. BC Racing and KSport can be rebuilt, and I know KSport can be in the USA, but they are no where near as good as Cusco, SilkRoad, or Zeal. SilkRoad is owned by Section Japan, who also happens to make Cusco's Coilovers and Camber plates.

Silks can take nasty hits. I've heard of drifters drifting at an angle at 45+ over railroad tracks and not blowing them out. I never believed it...until I had to speed up in a corner to avoid getting t-boned by a driver who ran a red light. I had to send the car into a spin the other direction to avoid hitting a wall. Long story short, the car hit a 4.5" curb @ well over 50. Skidmarks galore. The rear end shot up...and nothing was bent. The coilovers didn't blow. They are just better made. A cheap set would have HAD to get rebuilt. I've seen potholes bent KSports, which can't be rebuilt. Silks can take a beating...there's a lot more to a coilover than it's ability to be rebuilt.

I personally don't care much cheap coilovers, but people ask and people are on a budget so I gave them my 2 cents. BC Racing and Ksport can both be rebuilt, and KSport can be custom valved (not sure on BC). Stance is a cut above those, but a cut below SilkRoad, Cusco, etc.

Just because it's cheap doesn't mean it's a throw away though. A lot of the time, companies will replace the inner cartridges in the coilover. Even cheap ones can be rebuilt these days. Quality is what determines the beating it can take, how consistent the handling and dampening is, how well they hold up, and how long they last.

I agree...don't get anything from a company who won't rebuilt them. The question isn't CAN they be rebuilt a lot of the time...it's WHERE. Tein has to order in the parts from Japan, so it can take a few weeks if they have the parts, or 3 months if it's parts they don't stock. JIC Magic used to be the same way. They'd stock the parts for rebuilt here, but if they needed to order it, it could take a few months. JIC is now in the process of switching their coilovers to USA manufacturing 100%, so that the parts for rebuilds and custom orders can have a quick turn around. Stance rebuilds here, but again...the coilovers and parts are Made in Japan. Like Tein and orginally JIC, they can rebuild them in 1-2 weeks turnaround time if they have the parts in stock. If not, it takes 4-6 weeks to get the parts. SilkRoad can also be rebuilt...they are made in Japan, parts, assemblies, all of it. However, SilkRoad USA has no provisions for a US rebuild, so in order to rebuild them they have to be sent back to Japan for a rebuild (which results in an 8-16 week wait). It's not so much a matter of if they can be rebuild with a great deal of coilovers, it's where. With most being able to be rebuilt these days, as you said, if they CAN'T be rebuilt, look elsewhere.

Swift Springs are good. I can't argue with you here. I hate progressive rate springs, and perfer linear rate springs. Swift coilover springs very good. Swift makes some of the most linear, consistent rate coilover springs on the market.

ilovejdmhoes
05-15-2012, 09:37 PM
Thanks