PDA

View Full Version : Radiator upgrade?

talonpunk831
05-15-2012, 03:23 PM
Hey guys, i have an 03 ep3 with a k24a2 swap. And im looking to upgrade my radiator lines and radiator. Ive found alot of silicone radiator lines for cheap, but im wondering what are your recomendations for a radiator upgrade? Thanks

LouisianaEP3
05-15-2012, 03:24 PM
Koyo or mishimoto

Manny Kid 15
05-15-2012, 05:17 PM
I would recommend mishimoto, koyo, or jvt which is made by mishimoto

Sent from MANNY KID 15 using Tapatalk

Blah1219
05-15-2012, 05:40 PM
What's wrong with your rad right now? Why not get a mugen, spoon, t1r thermostat and fan switch. You would benefit more on that then a aftermarket rad.

RHCP0801
05-15-2012, 05:52 PM
stock rad is more than enough for a k24a2

sleepy ep3
05-15-2012, 09:06 PM
Koyo rad with Mugen thermostat. The Koyo is a beautiful piece of work. I was really happy when I opened the box when I got mine. My temps stay perfect, even in 90 degree weather. It's more expensive than the Mishimoto or whatever, but it's a nicer piece IMO.

usedep3
05-15-2012, 10:37 PM
Koyo rad with Mugen thermostat. The Koyo is a beautiful piece of work. I was really happy when I opened the box when I got mine. My temps stay perfect, even in 90 degree weather. It's more expensive than the Mishimoto or whatever, but it's a nicer piece IMO.

What kind of ECT temps are you seeing?

Lucid Moments
05-16-2012, 01:17 AM
No radiator upgrade is needed. I'm running a blown k24 frank, tracking it in the southeast and have never had problems with ECTs. I did notice however that the OP asked specifically about hoses so he may just be looking to dress the engine bay up a little.

talonpunk831
05-16-2012, 03:14 AM
My radiator has a leak, so might as well upgrade when i replace, living in Arizona and all. It averages 110+ here lol

tinman5
05-20-2012, 10:21 AM
I am a fan of stock Gates replacement hoses. They are an OE manufacturer and quality is always top notch. Now if you want something a step above, i recomend the Gates Racing line of hoses. These are a step above the regular hoses with a nice "Cusco" blue outer layer. These have higher temp and burst ratings and are half the cost of silicone replacements.

As for the radiator, you cant go wrong with Koyo or Mishimoto. Do you have to upgrade? Probably not, however, make no mistake, an aluminum radiator is an upgrade. A bit more coolant capacity, plastic end tanks WILL leak/crack properly welded alloy will not (plus it is far easier and cheaper to weld and patch up should it spring a leak) and lastly aluminum will shed heat quicker.

Again, not a neccesity, but if the price difference between a stock replacement radiator and an alloy one is acceptable to you the buyer, go alluminum.

differentK
05-22-2012, 06:48 AM
never had a problem with my stock rad with regards to cooling my blown k24... but i just recently upgraded to a mishimoto rad with fan switch after deciding to retire the old stock one- 9 yrs of daily abuse left it pretty beat up. the mishimoto is a nice piece i really like it- engine temps have gone down noticeably as well

tinman5
05-24-2012, 05:04 PM
That is one of the first things I noticed. My fans dont come in as often nor do they stay on for more than a moment when idling for long periods if time.
In my humble opinion it is a worthwhile investment.

los
05-29-2012, 04:33 PM
Doesnt mugen thermostats make the car run way cooler than normal ? Cant this cause issues if the car dont get to normal running temps ?

tinman5
06-02-2012, 11:56 AM
Doesnt mugen thermostats make the car run way cooler than normal ? Cant this cause issues if the car dont get to normal running temps ?

The thermostat is at the mercy of the engine and the radiator. The engine is going to generate x amount of heat and that temperature will rise with engine speed. The thermostat with a weaker/colder spring will then open sooner and stay open longer based on how well the radiator is able to extract the heat from the coolant.
Lower temperature t-stats are mainly used in performance engines to help with consistency and to help keep the coolant and engine closer to optimum operating temperature. Believe me that 20* window from a stock t-stat to a lower temperature performance t-stat becomes more apparent when spending serious quality time at redline.

Reaper27
06-11-2012, 08:17 AM
It's funny, I was just about to post a thread about this because my stock rad is leaking and was just going to upgrade when replacing it. The one question I had was would it be worth it to upgrade to electric fans and if so what size would fit? Or are the stock fans fine?

tinman5
06-11-2012, 02:34 PM
The Mishimoto and Koyo are stock based replacements all be it a bit beefier. The tabs and threaded nipples are placed to accept the factory fans.
If you want to go aftermarket depending on the size of the core, you can run a pair of 12", a pair of 10", or a single 12" and single 10" side by side. If you want to get real fancy with it, buy a large sheet of aluminum or steel (about 20 gauge or 2mm thick) and fab a shroud. Be advised these are available for about $100 maybe less, but I am a hands on kinda guy and I enjoying building some chit. Wire in an adjustable thermostatic switch available at pretty much any parts store for $30 to $60 depending on bells and whistles, and you can have an improved cooling system with some adjustability not available stock. And of course line in a temperature gauge on the upper hose. To help you...keep track of some chit.

Euro-Yellow-Ep3
06-11-2012, 02:41 PM
The Mishimoto and Koyo are stock based replacements all be it a bit beefier. The tabs and threaded nipples are placed to accept the factory fans.
If you want to go aftermarket depending on the size of the core, you can run a pair of 12", a pair of 10", or a single 12" and single 10" side by side. If you want to get real fancy with it, buy a large sheet of aluminum or steel (about 20 gauge or 2mm thick) and fab a shroud. Be advised these are available for about $100 maybe less, but I am a hands on kinda guy and I enjoying building some chit. Wire in an adjustable thermostatic switch available at pretty much any parts store for $30 to $60 depending on bells and whistles, and you can have an improved cooling system with some adjustability not available stock. And of course line in a temperature gauge on the upper hose. To help you...keep track of some chit.

Great idea, First id get a Mugen thermostat, then a Koyo rad then a set of Samco hoses for a lil bling.

Reaper27
06-11-2012, 04:21 PM
But would there be a big enough benefit for this with all the wrk envolved?

Blah1219
06-11-2012, 07:24 PM
But would there be a big enough benefit for this with all the wrk envolved?

An aftermarket thermostat and fan switch, you would see a difference immediately.