PDA

View Full Version : Time to rebuild after 5 years with buddy club RSD

antisocial
05-16-2012, 05:26 AM
After wearing through these, I have realized that I no longer need a setup this firm. I have considered a few options. Among these are progress coilovers, bilsteins with eibach prokit, and I've even kicked around the idea of BC racing. I drive a shitload on the street, and autocross here and there. For what it's worth, I already have roll center adjuster ball joints (j's racing) and energy poly LCA bushings, front and rear strut tower bars, as well as CTR rear sway bar.

As far as lowering goes, I like the 1-1.75" lower than stock range, which all of the above fall into. I'm mostly torn between the progress and the eibach/bilstein combo. I like to drive quite aggressive on twisty roads, but want something with more real world driveability than my current coilovers. I'll be willing to bet the progress is "soft" enough for my current taste, but I'm also curious about the performance of the bilsteins, will they be "enough" for me? Anyone with experience pn either setup please chime in.

tinman5
05-20-2012, 11:18 AM
Thats a pretty open question because.....my aggressive may be completely different from yours. I dance between 2 front drivers and one very well balanced powerful to really powerful rear driver. And while I have not seriously road raced or auto x'ed in damn near 20 years I can say my aggressive is pretty solid. It only really sucks that I drive for a living.

That being said, I know quite a few cats that run the Progress setup on various different makes. Their kits are very well engineered, nine times out of ten turn key perfect. Now assuming you are the one in ten who truly knows your shizz, you can pick up the phone and talk to an actual person. Customization from what I have heard is not a problem.

Unfortunately, I lack the vocabulary to interpret and convey the intricisies of true suspension setup. However I would not hesitate to recomend either the Progress or the Bilstein/Eibach kit you mentioned. Good luck and happy trails

One last thing, if the BC's can be re-valved it may be a bit more cost effective to have them custom valved. One of the main reasons why I likes me some Teins.

antisocial
05-20-2012, 06:31 PM
they are supposedly rebuildable, but I would have no idea where to send them. Buddy club US just sells new shock inserts, which I don't want. I'm gonna back the spring rates off a bit to make it a bit more livable on the street. Springs are rusty as hell, and I'd likely want new pillow ball mounts as well. For that money, I may as well buy a whole new setup. I do drive aggressive at times, but I never push the car/tires to their limits on the street.

I just need to be honest with myself and decide what is best. I'm leaning toward progress since it will be much more comfortable than my current setup, yet capable enough for my antics, as well as an occasional track day.

tinman5
05-22-2012, 07:46 AM
Well thought. I think you will find the Progress kit very satisfactory. There will always be that bit extra we feel we need, but those are the compromises of a double duty daily driver.

antisocial
05-22-2012, 07:11 PM
word. I have been living with a strong compromise in comfort for 5 years, something more in the middle (progress) will be most likely just what I'm looking for.