PDA

View Full Version : looking for colored Lug nuts suggestions ?

HOTTPISS
05-17-2012, 09:41 AM
i have been considering buying some colored lug nuts red ones. I was wondering is anyone had suggestions on where to find a reasonably priced good set. im skecptical of all the ebay sets. any suggestions would be helpful. thanx.

PAPITUYO326
05-17-2012, 09:50 AM
I bought a set of Muteki SR48s in blue and was incredibly disappointed with their quality. The paint flaked off as soon as I touched the wheel lock to the lug nut. I didn't even put any torque through it, just was engaging threads.

I would stay away from Muteki.

HOTTPISS
05-17-2012, 12:03 PM
I bought a set of Muteki SR48s in blue and was incredibly disappointed with their quality. The paint flaked off as soon as I touched the wheel lock to the lug nut. I didn't even put any torque through it, just was engaging threads.

I would stay away from Muteki.

Yeah that's my biggest fear i guess, is that the color will chip off and they will look awful. thanks for the advice, i will stay away from muteki.

mitchlikesbikes
05-17-2012, 12:46 PM
are you planning on putting them on your oem wheels?

frm_808
05-18-2012, 12:57 AM
I got a full NRG set with extra key locks from them at SEMA, snugged up with a ratchet then torque wrenched. Removing with my cordless impact fahked up the paint on the lug nuts. So I just use a longer ratchet to break them loose....I'd stay away from NRG as well.

Steven

.colin
05-18-2012, 05:36 AM
Any colored nuts are going to be anodized (Muteki, Rays, Work, T1R, Spoon) - not painted and will eventually fade from being exposed to the sun / elements. Ray's red nuts fade to pink for example, so its pretty unavoidable. I have Muteki SR48 in black and love them.

b_ron
05-18-2012, 06:52 AM
Any colored nuts are going to be anodized (Muteki, Rays, Work, T1R, Spoon) - not painted and will eventually fade from being exposed to the sun / elements. Ray's red nuts fade to pink for example, so its pretty inedible. I have Muteki SR48 in black and love them.

I would hope that their lugs are inedible, or else everyone would be eating them.

.colin
05-18-2012, 07:00 AM
I would hope that their lugs are inedible, or else everyone would be eating them.

some people like nuts

HOTTPISS
05-18-2012, 07:02 AM
are you planning on putting them on your oem wheels?

yeah i was just going to put them on OEM wheels.

HOTTPISS
05-18-2012, 07:06 AM
Any colored nuts are going to be anodized (Muteki, Rays, Work, T1R, Spoon) - not painted and will eventually fade from being exposed to the sun / elements. Ray's red nuts fade to pink for example, so its pretty unavoidable. I have Muteki SR48 in black and love them.

good to know, i guess il just try my luck and pick some out and hope for the best. ^_^

.colin
05-18-2012, 07:12 AM
yeah i was just going to put them on OEM wheels.

Probably not the best idea since the stock lugs have a different seat pitch - 45 degrees whereas tuner lug nuts (for custom wheels) have a 60 degree pitch. You would need to get the lug nut washers one of the vendors sells to use tuner lugs on stock wheels. Otherwise your nuts are going to vibrate loose since they aren't seated properly.

HOTTPISS
05-18-2012, 09:43 AM
Probably not the best idea since the stock lugs have a different seat pitch - 45 degrees whereas tuner lug nuts (for custom wheels) have a 60 degree pitch. You would need to get the lug nut washers one of the vendors sells to use tuner lugs on stock wheels. Otherwise your nuts are going to vibrate loose since they aren't seated properly.

Thank you this is very good to know. ^_^

mitchlikesbikes
05-18-2012, 10:32 AM

yeah what he said. it's possible to find red lugs with OEM seats but they're pretty rare.

DRP967
05-19-2012, 06:47 AM
IIRC (If I recall correctly) Spoon Sports makes some colored lug nuts that are designed for OEM wheels.

As for aftermarket/tuner style lug nuts for your aftermarket wheels, I recommend the following:

1. Buddy Club extended lug nuts -steel

2. VarrsToen V48 extended lug nuts -steel

3. Muteki SR48 extended lug nuts (If you go with black or titanium chrome/gunmetal, they dont chip...the red/blue variety does. Also the neon chrome does not chip) -steel

*TIPS*
1. Opt for steel lug nuts over aluminum, much more durable.

2. Aluminum is fine I guess if your swapping out lug nuts constantly.

3. Titanium is good, light weight like aluminum if not lighter and strong as steel if not stronger...downside is it cost more money but its worth it.

4. Extended close end lug nuts is what I prefer but most come in Extended open end leaving the studs open to dust/water/dirt/etc. I havent had any problems though with my extended open end Muteki SR48 (titanium chrome aka gunmetal color).

I also have a set of Mugen lug nuts (short close end/steel or chromoly...its not aluminum I know that) that were off the 2008 Mugen Si. Its under $100 ($75.00) from jdmland aka icbmotorsports...surprisingly affordable considering they are Mugen.

My personal favorite...Buddy Club as mentioned

http://www.streetlightz.com/images/products/buddy%20club%20nuts.jpg

P.S. Stick to black/chrome/silver lug nuts...much classier and does not clash with the wheel. You want one of the main focuses to be on your wheels not your nuts...but if you want contrast that "pops" then by all means choose red/blue/neo chrome/etc. Plus colored lug nuts ie. red/blue just look tacky to me...thats just my opinion. Do what you like, its your car/your money. Good luck!

tinman5
05-19-2012, 08:06 AM
I have tried several different sets as well. The aluminum ones do hold the color better as they are anodized, but the color does fade over time. I found the Ebay Vision brand to hold the color the longest, the 5zigens not so much.
I ultimately settled on the Muteki SR48s. I prefer the extended lugs as I run extended studs, and never had problems with the open end. Simply use anti sieze on the threads. The colored Mutekis on the other hand do not hold the color very well at all. I seriously do not think they are anodized at all. You can literally scrape the color off to reveal a very shiny surface beneath.
And dont use air tools to remove or install after market lug nuts blah blah blah. More so the aluminum ones as those will develop hairline cracks.

hyu
05-19-2012, 02:38 PM
Muteki might as a well be coated with finger nail polish... Waste of money...

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G

Tsuru
05-22-2012, 12:34 PM
Function & Form Lug Nuts, they're powder-coated

http://www.f2autolife.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/IMG_13271.jpg

T_Virus
05-23-2012, 09:29 PM
I had the muteki black color lug nuts and they never fade on me. It is the other colors I see fading.