PDA

View Full Version : So I changed my spark plugs today...a few things were a miss. (pics and questions)

Mattlikespeople
05-28-2012, 06:39 PM
Having not been sure about when my plugs were last changed and having hit 90k+ miles I figured it'd be best to go ahead and change them. It was straight forward enough to get at them. Loosen the bolts on the cover and on the coilpacks, pop off the coilpacks and get at the plugs way down in there. However I found some serious corrosion on my second from the left coilpack. Here;s what it looked like comparred to the far left one.
http://i.imgur.com/zSDx5.jpg

The discoloration and what appeared to be dry rot on the rubber parts really concerns me. When replacing the corroded one after all was said and done the gasket that seals it at the top had to be compressed down as it sat about half an inch lower than the other 3. No idea why or whats going on here. The plug looked equally bad

http://i.imgur.com/ky7PMh.jpg

Also had a bit of trouble changing the plugs. They were really loose. Like not even finger tight. Might explain the uneven acceleration and bog I occasionally experienced. Perhaps due to the seal on the plugs not being tight (which might explain the coilpack corrosion) I had a plug with some signs of very high heat contact. The familiar blueing effect that looks good on rims an exhaust isnt so hot (no pun intended) on plugs.
http://i.imgur.com/rkenMh.jpg

switched everything out with bosch platinum plugs and the hesitation or bog down from lower rpms like i was having but I'm still concerned about that terrible looking coilpack. Thoughts?

Mattlikespeople
05-29-2012, 05:29 PM
No thoughts about my plugs and/or coil pack?

junevtec
05-29-2012, 06:15 PM
hope when i change mines they dont look like that

Euro-Yellow-Ep3
05-29-2012, 06:16 PM
in for info

junevtec
05-29-2012, 06:16 PM
also arent k20 supposed to use iridium ngk plugs?

TheKone
05-29-2012, 08:18 PM
The coil pack looks like that because the the loose plug was letting hot exhaust gas blow by onto the coil pack. I guess if it still works leave it but I would replace it if it were my car. Why were there normal copper plugs in your engine? You should be using NGK or Bosch iridium plugs only. Use the right plugs, replace that coil pack and your hesitation will disappear. NGK IZFR6K-11.

Slip_Angle
05-29-2012, 08:23 PM
Have you tried wiping the coil pack down? Looks like it may be discoloured from moisture. Stock specification plugs are iridium.

MugenReplica
05-30-2012, 06:57 AM
Wow.....replace the plugs with iridium for longevity, reliability and performance. I'm sure there are some copper plugs that will work in K-series, but the iridium do a perfect job and don't have to be changed as often as copper plugs do.

Guy above is correct. I'd change it out personally as well with new from Honda....but it will be quite pricey, just so you know.

Mattlikespeople
05-30-2012, 06:24 PM
Ok, I didnt put the copper plugs in there but I'm guessing I should've changed them a LONG time ago. Switched them out for bosch platimun, tightened to 13lbs which is what I found online. Hope thats correct. Hesitation is gone completely, throttle response is noticeably better and even some more power through the mid range. Butt dyno approved. Just filled up and i've got a pretty consistent highway commute so I'm interested to see about my mileage. As far as replacing them go I've found the same Denso part number as OEM for $47 bucks on rock auto. Might to that just to make myself feel better even though it is running better.

superchargedk20
05-30-2012, 09:51 PM
Denso or ngk.. get rid of bosche

Mattlikespeople
05-31-2012, 06:12 PM
Please enlighten me as to why. I'll even give you my paypal address so you can send me the money to do so.

TheKone
05-31-2012, 10:57 PM
Please enlighten me as to why. I'll even give you my paypal address so you can send me the money to do so.

He said it a little aggressively but what he means is that a lot of people have found that the Bosch plugs don't perform nearly as well as the NGK or Denso products in these K series engines. Almost everyone including myself have found that the NGK's give the best and most reliable performance.

superchargedk20
06-01-2012, 02:11 AM
A little touchy? Just telling you what's better for your car and what most of us use. Bosch plugs have been known to under perform for modified higher hp cars. But its your car do what u want .

dj addicted
06-01-2012, 06:11 AM
I've also heard to stay away from bosche plugs for Honda's. I replaced the plugs in my wife's old 99 civic EX a while ago and I just got bosche plugs. When I later had the timing belt/water pump replaced (about 5K miles later), the tech told me to quickly ditch the bosche and go with NGK. I look at it like this... there is a reason why all NAPA, Autozone, and Advance auto parts always have bosche plugs on sale. They can't get rid of them.

Mattlikespeople
06-01-2012, 08:44 PM
Ok, supercharged. Perhaps if you didn't come off like you did then perhaps I wouldn't have responded like I did. My bad. You're saying that the bosch are going to under perform on modified higher hp cars. My care is basically stock because I hardly count an intake and fart tube modified so this doesn't exactly apply to me. I can see where there might be a reason to go with the NGK plugs but at 4x the price I'll see if I've got any issues with these plugs in the first 1000 miles or so.