PDA

View Full Version : K24 Swap - header Question.

cyllarus
05-28-2012, 08:09 PM
Hey guys.

recently finished my k24a2 swap and have the motor in and running fine.

one of the nagging issues i am trying to resolve is the header fitment. The old A3 had an DC5 ITR header on it. once bolted up to the k24 the header does clear the swaybar (barely) but it is too short and basically lays the midpipe right up against the bottom of the car. To say the least its loud inside the car once the motor hits a rev that resonates in the cabin.

Ive read through the exhaust section but dont see a clear example of a good header for a k24 swap that will clear the STOCK SWAY.

opinions? My price is < 400, and i'm not afraid of used parts.
If possible id like to get a header that has an integrated flex section.

the other option would be to take the car to a shop and just have them cut / frankenstein the exhaust i've got to make it work, is the ITR header decent enough that this is a good option?

jri93
05-28-2012, 08:59 PM
the ITR header is great especially if your concerned with smog. As for the front sway issues, i know there are some headers that will clear but i personally just ditched the front sway. I didint notice any loss of handling and i love to mob the canyons. Im running the OBX header and it works good, especially for the price. My midpipe slightly hit the bottom of the car but i just took it to a exhaust shop and they made a slight bend in the midpipe that fixed the issue, cost $60.

I would not cut or modify the ITR header if i were you. those are quite valuable and you wold be ruining it. You should be able to get away with just modifying the midpipe.

differentK
05-29-2012, 05:55 AM
kiddracing/ PLM race header. running one on my blown k24 with stock front sway- works great

RHCP0801
05-29-2012, 11:35 AM
they don't have to cut it, all they have to do is heat it up and move it a bit

PAPITUYO326
05-29-2012, 11:46 AM
kiddracing/ PLM race header. running one on my blown k24 with stock front sway- works great

This combo does not always work. My kiddracing header was hitting my TODA sway bar, which has a TON more clearance over the stocker.

AttarixEp
05-29-2012, 12:01 PM
I used rsx s spec race header and uk spec ep3 cat back. Test fit the sway bar and had clearance.

RHCP0801
05-29-2012, 12:11 PM
my ssr header never hit the actual sway bar, the part where the cat used to be was hitting the body of the car but when I changed to a custom 3" it no longer hit

iDom
05-29-2012, 12:18 PM
My JRRH fits perfectly with innovative mounts. I can get pics tomorrow of the clearance. I believe they'd be hard to find though by now.

cyllarus
05-29-2012, 03:08 PM
Hrm.. Based off what I'm hearing I get the feeling this will be a "buy and pray" type purchase, with a trip to the exhaust shop either way...

That being said, why dont i just have them cut me a new mid-pipe that will work with the ITR header, will save me from buying a new header.

differentK
05-30-2012, 06:30 AM
This combo does not always work. My kiddracing header was hitting my TODA sway bar, which has a TON more clearance over the stocker.

correct me if im wrong but wasnt the TODA bar made specifically to fit its RH counterpart? and more broadly- JDM race headers in general? I always thought it was a beefed up EM2 front sway in that it had a wider but shallower front arch to accommodate the 2-1 collectors which are side by side on JDM RHs such as Buddyclub and TODA. The PLM/ Kiddracing RH- with the 2-1 collectors on top of each other- was intended to fit stock EP and RSX front sways- which have a narrower but much deeper arch.

PAPITUYO326
05-31-2012, 10:41 PM
I swapped my Ep3 stocker out a long time ago (8 years) to the RSX unit thought, which after viewing pics yesterday, offers less clearance than our stock unit. The opening on the Toda is indeed wider and taller compared to the RSX unit I have on hand, but I can't confirm on the EP. The EP sway may in fact fit in there.

cyllarus
06-01-2012, 12:27 PM
Have found a se of Megan headers for reasonable. anyone have experience with these? Will they clear sway?