PDA

View Full Version : Exedy Stage 1 + flywheel questions

acemanic
05-30-2012, 11:01 AM
Hi,

I have searched and read many threads regarding which clutches/fly combos work...however, I am still left with some questions. My 160k km stock clutch is feeling like it's going soon, and I have some track days coming up, and might as well replace it. I am leaning towards an Exedy Stage 1 clutch for its durability as well as DD drivability. The Exedy website claims that to use this clutch in the k20a3 tranny, i MUST use its HF02 lightweight flywheel. That's fine and all, except the flywheel is too $$, considering that many users are using the 05-06 RSX type S flywheel. So here are my questions:

- I have read that to use a type S flywheel, i need to also use a type S clutch, or else the retaining pins or something won't line up. BUT, if i use an Exedy stg 1 clutch, does that not matter anymore? On the Exedy website, the stage 1 kit is the same model # for both the k20a2 and the a3, and their lightweight flywheel is also the same for both cars/trannies.

- should I not use a type s tranny with an exedy stage 1? ie. do i have to use the Exedy fly with the clutch?

- I have read that the 05 type s flys weigh about 9 lbs....but i have also read that they weigh 16 lbs = stock ep3 fly. anyone know the weight?

I just want to be clear on everything before i go buy something that will cause a hassle, thanks!

Regards,

Acemanic

rd02SiR
05-31-2012, 03:18 PM
it would be best to get an RSX specific fly wheel, then get a clutch for RSX fitment. This is what i had to do last year. Got and ACT street light fly and exedy stage 1.

Exedy says same part number because you are infact using the RSX part on the EP tranny.

If you hvae tyoe s tranny, use rsx specific clutch and fly.

I wouuld say closer to 16lbs. I have one sitting in my garage, and it's pretty heavy.

To sum it up:
Buy RSX specific fly and clutch.

Im usung ACT street light and exedy stage 1 for an RSX.

Draw7Seven
05-31-2012, 03:30 PM
Lol yeah the stock fly off an RSX is NOT 9 pounds.

Exedy is telling you that they'll sell you a clutch that will work with an RSX flywheel OR their own flywheel. They don't make a clutch that will work with your stock EP flywheel, to my knowledge. Therefore, if you can scoop up an OEM RSX fly for less than the Exedy, do that. I wouldn't recommend using a 9 pound clutch on a daily driven car, btw. Maybe a "street light" but not a "race light."