PDA

View Full Version : seat belt lifetime warranty?

HOTTPISS
05-31-2012, 07:10 AM
So my seat belt retractor has gotten to the point were i feel it is of no use to wear my seat belt. Its so loose that if i were to get into an accident i don't think it would protect me much at all. I recall reading somewhere that Honda offers a lifetime warranty on there seat belts. I was wondering is anyone has taken advantage of his and if so how to go about using it. Or would i be better off just buying new ones and replacing them myself. i haven't tampered with the seat belts as i know it voids the lifetime warranty on them.

DericSh
05-31-2012, 09:25 AM
Its not lifetime anymore its 150,000 miles. Just go to a Honda dealer and show them your belt and they will order you one

HOTTPISS
05-31-2012, 09:41 AM
well thats unfortunate i just rolled over 150,000. lol thanks though. : )

Tnhatch03
05-31-2012, 04:47 PM
go there and see what they say.

i never heard of any car manufacturer putting a deadline on seatbelts.

i had a 1992 nissan and the seatbelt was messed up. i took it to the dealer and they attempted to fix it for free.

ep3k20
05-31-2012, 04:55 PM
they are covered for life from honda. i can 100% attest to this as my retractors were shot on the driver and pass side, and went into honda and had brand spanking new belts and retractors installed free of charge. did the same thing with my sn-95 98 cobra... car is 14 years old and ford was happy to do it free of charge. It is mandated thru the NHSA (national highway and safety association) as it is a life safety device, and has nothing to do with the cars "out of warranty" work

Jukka
05-31-2012, 08:42 PM
they are only covered under lifetime warrenty in the US. In Canada, they are 3 year warrenty unless the original owner opted for the extended service package, then its 5 years. Sucks.

epcivicboy08
05-31-2012, 09:06 PM
So what if the seat belts don't retract smoothly and automatically? Meaning, when you unbuckle the belt, it doesn't retract automatically and you're having to move it so it goes back to its original state?

I've gotten so annoyed by this that I've been thinking of buying new replacements so they can move the way they did when the car was new.

ep3k20
05-31-2012, 09:11 PM
So what if the seat belts don't retract smoothly and automatically? Meaning, when you unbuckle the belt, it doesn't retract automatically and you're having to move it so it goes back to its original state?

I've gotten so annoyed by this that I've been thinking of buying new replacements so they can move the way they did when the car was new.

Then its technically a faulty seat belt. And is totally covered by Honda free of charge

HOTTPISS
06-01-2012, 07:12 AM
looks like il be taking it in and seeing what the dealership can do. ^_^ mine are beyond an annoyance it pretty much lays limp in my lap no protection. : /

powdbyrice
06-01-2012, 10:20 PM
i heard the 02/03 were lifetime, but the 04/05 were limited...

my 03 had the retracting issue.

ep3k20
06-02-2012, 07:33 AM
looks like il be taking it in and seeing what the dealership can do. ^_^ mine are beyond an annoyance it pretty much lays limp in my lap no protection. : /

:meek:

civsirmt
06-03-2012, 04:56 AM
take it to honda,i just took my ej8 up to the dealer for the exact same thing they fixed it no prob. 180,000 miles

whatsvtec
06-03-2012, 05:30 AM
Great info to know! I'd have gotten this fixed 2 years ago!

DA9_GSR
06-03-2012, 07:48 AM
Mine used to do this. Over time, the belt accumulates dirt, moisture and film from our hands and stays built into the belt. This causes the belt to thicken / harden and prevents it from rolling together in the retractor assembly. This is where I steam cleaned / extracted the dirt, moisture and film from the belt. Now it works perfectly. If the dealer won't help you, get someone with a steam cleaner / extractor to do this for you.

whatsvtec
06-03-2012, 09:10 AM
I'll try to use an extractor at work then! Thanks for the tip Ryan! :thumbu:

HOTTPISS
06-04-2012, 10:09 AM
So i emailed my local honda dealer they replied back with this.

"Honda covers seat belts due to a defect or workmanship in matierial for the life of the vehicle. We would have to look at the defective part to determine if it is warrantable or not. We would also need to see it to order the proper parts needed due to all the different manufacturers. Please stop in so we can look at them."

so it appears that they honor the lifetime warranty. looks like I'm headed to the dealer. ; )

DericSh
06-09-2012, 07:31 AM
Ok so i figured out that the 15/150 starts with the 2007 year model. So all ep3s are in the clear!

Bns2000
06-16-2012, 08:43 PM
Do you think mine might be covered? As mine are always geting slammed in the door because they wont retract all of the way.