PDA

View Full Version : tips and tricks clutch install

los
05-31-2012, 08:10 AM
hey guys im gonna replace my clutch this weekend is there any tricks or tips you guys can share it will be my first time changing the clutch on a hydro tranny so im not exactly sure how to go about the slave cylinder and the clutch bleeding but imma do a lil bit more homework before i do it but im sure it isnt much diffrent than cable right ?

tinman5
06-01-2012, 07:11 PM
Not anything special if you have done an FF clutch job before.
I will advise you drop the subframe though. I had read that it can be done without dropping the subframe, but for the amount of work involved, it made more sense to simply drop it.
When re-installing the cradle thread the bolts leaving enough tension to shift the cradle around. If you follow the 2 rear most bolts, a few inches further back (under body side) there will be a hole big enough to insert a 1/2" extension. This hole goes clean through the cradle and into the unibody. You can use these two holes to leverage the cradle into proper alignment. I used a quick spot of spray paint to mark the bolts before loosening. Keep in mind the cradle can be offset by as much as roughly a half inch in pretty much any direction. This will mess with your alignment settings and even offset the axle line too much to one side or the other.
So....yeah mark them bolts before loosening. And it will really help to have a second set if hands and eyes to make sure you set the cradle properly.

mikewbd
06-24-2012, 07:58 PM
So it is possible to miss-align your subframe when putting it back in? Possible to cause the mounts to not line up correctly?

tinman5
06-25-2012, 05:30 PM
Yup.
I dont know to what extent the mis-alignment will have on the mounts though, but there is definitely a measureable amount of play.

Euro-Yellow-Ep3
06-25-2012, 06:48 PM
1. Do NOT disconnect the clutch line from slave cylinder, just unbolt the slave and put it aside
2. Easiest way to remove ur tranny is to have a buddy lay under the car and lower the tranny on his chest
3. Make sure u remove the half shaft
4. U dont have to remove the starter only the one bolt under the manifold
5. Two tranny bolts are longer than the rest, One goes to the starter and the other i believe is on the top bolt of the rear mount bracket (not to sure)

Jdmdomo
07-10-2012, 07:44 PM
1. Do NOT disconnect the clutch line from slave cylinder, just unbolt the slave and put it aside
2. Easiest way to remove ur tranny is to have a buddy lay under the car and lower the tranny on his chest
3. Make sure u remove the half shaft
4. U dont have to remove the starter only the one bolt under the manifold
5. Two tranny bolts are longer than the rest, One goes to the starter and the other i believe is on the top bolt of the rear mount bracket (not to sure)

Nice , info . For me 2 , Brothaa .

sistealth02
07-10-2012, 09:31 PM

Los....I suggest that you do not do this....somebody will likely get hurt. This is what a tranny jack is for. Follow your service manual. If you have any questions, let me know. I just did a Exedy clutch and flywheel swap (step by step) according to the service manual, and had absolutely no problems.

:)