PDA

View Full Version : engine front mount questions

Jacksond
06-04-2012, 11:45 AM
So after completing my tranny swap I noticed that the front motor mount on my ep is pretty much shot. The top rubber connector ( the metal shaft in center of mount connects to the walls of the mount by rubber walls) is totally cut, so I temporarily left the mount unbolted to subframe. I was wondering about recommended routes of attack for replacing this mount. I dont really want to inject with polyurethane (do people still do that to mounts? lol) I was looking to either see if I could put in the energy suspension mount inserts and "repair" the mount? I also have been looking into hasport/innovative/etc replacements. I like to upgrade parts when factory parts go, and was favoring the replacement mounts (not so much the price, but the idea), and instead of getting the factory stiffness, upgrading from 60a to the "track" 75a. I had Energy Suspension (ESM) inserts on my crx and really hated the vibrations, so I dont want to go really stiff and get that again, but if i can upgrade a little I would like to. My question then is, if I upgrade the stiffness ever so slightly with one mount will it cause more wear (cause to wear out quicker) to the other mounts because they are worn factory mounts? Is there some sort of rule to upgrading engine mounts, like if you do one you should do the entire set at once? I havent researched much on the energy suspension mounts for our cars, but I will look into them, if they dont cause excessive rattling then I will likely go that route. OR do most people delete their front mount due to fitament issues with certain mods (like on ef/eg/ek deleting front mount so their downpipe will fit, etc) and supplement the lost mount with a torque damper? Thank you for your help.

Cliff Notes:
Front Motor Mount blown
Do ESM cause excessive rattling?
Can I use ESM to "repair" partially blown mount?
Does upgrading stiffness of one mount cause detrimental effects to other factory mounts?
Could I delete front mount and replace with torque damper for similar effects?

geeio
06-04-2012, 09:09 PM
the inserts can fix your front mount problem, the inserts will cause an increase on vibration mine were pretty serious noticeable if you upgrade just one the others will wear as well but might slow down the wear it also depends on how bad the rest are, i think torque dampers are a load of crap, just my ideas on the whole thing

Jacksond
06-05-2012, 11:21 AM
Thanks, thats kinda what I thought about dampers as well. Plus I always see people selling them at "like new" prices so i figured get didn't help much. Maybe if I were pushing a lot of power I'd invest in one. But at the price of a new mount, I'd just as soon rePlace my blown mount with a new instead of deleting and getting a damper. If i found one under 100$ tho I'd pry give it a try tho. On the Crx the inserts shook the shit out of everything, tha I just pulled them out.

modu03
06-05-2012, 04:25 PM
esm will cause a little more vibration than normal. i would not consider a broken mount "repaired" by just slapping an insert in there. do it right and replace it. if you don't plan on upgrading the other mounts, i would just replace it with a new stock mount. that mount is really just a bump stop type mount anyway, so upgrading it isn't really necessary, especially if your not upgrading any other mounts. putting more stiffness at one mount will make the other mounts have to work harder to control engine movement.

on a side note, my front mount is torn, and so was my driver side mount. i replaced the three main mounts with innovative steel mounts and left the broken front bump stop mount in place. the engine feels very securely attached. i do notice alot more vibration at idle now. it's not enough to bother me though, until i turn the ac on. with the ac on, the vibration is quite excessive.

whatsvtec
06-05-2012, 04:36 PM
Don't bash it til' you try it. My ingalls ETD has severely helped with my ripped front mount symptoms. I'm waiting for a good opportunity to get my ESMM inserts in, so I can't comment on those. Though friends who have them in their RSX(that I've driven) have less vibration than my ETD, and a better feel IMHO.

ESMM will directly help/fix your issue. Ingalls ETD will stiffen the engine, but not solve your front mount issue.

Doing both is the best option I think(Inserts will fix it, ETD will improve the feel even more). Replacing the front mount with an aftermarket hardrace rubber mount would be a good option too.

jjthug88
06-05-2012, 05:57 PM
innovative or hasport motor mounts 75a will fix ur problem. no need to replace front mount if u dont wanna. dont get avid, i have them and think the design makes it too stiff and i broke both the passenger mounting bolts with them =p

inserts suck!

jjthug88
06-05-2012, 05:58 PM
like modu says tho, ac on = hella vibration for me at least.

whatsvtec
06-05-2012, 06:18 PM
lol at post whore on that.

Inserts don't suck, they just serve a different purpose. Get mounts if you're planning on putting down power, get inserts if you're looking to get your mount fixed.

jjthug88
06-05-2012, 06:53 PM
dude getting posts is mad lame =/

i just believe that the stock ep3 motor mounts suck, and inserts are just delaying the inevitable destruction of the motor mounts haha

whatsvtec
06-05-2012, 09:59 PM
Diff strokes for diff folks. For people on a budget with their DD, inserts do the job just fine. Delaying that destruction and making the ride much more pleasant CAN be worth it. For $40, why not? :shrug:

My DD is getting inserts :msmile: She gets no special treatment(except on appearance)
Track car already has innovative mounts, just need to get a front mount. Swap that when I swap motors.

Honestly, if you get innovative mounts(rear, pass and driver side) You'll never be able to tell that your front mount is bad. THEN, you might be able to add an ETD then delete.

cow
06-06-2012, 07:58 AM
dude getting posts is mad lame =/

A paid subscription is $20 allowing you to sell parts on this website.
http://www.ephatch.com/forum/payments.php

On the off chance you're not trying to sell parts & are genuinely upset about your post count, that's just pathetic.

Jacksond
06-07-2012, 05:52 PM
Wow thanks for all of the help guys. I honestly would just as soon delete it of you believe an etd would suffice. Then down the line I could put in insert in and have both. I am asking because when I engage my clutch I can feel the engine vibrating/rattling but not like rattling noise wise. I was thinking the innovative 75 a if I can just buy one (money is really tight). But if I can get an etd used for cheap (if anyone has one to sell please let me know) would that do the job? Jus wanna be totally sure before lighting up the credit card.

jjthug88
06-08-2012, 02:07 PM
aside from all the bashing on me going on, my recommendation would be to replace the motor mount with a used oem mount from a partout since moneys tight, and the front mount is not your biggest problem. Its horrible to feel the engine rock when shifting gears, happened to me when i blew my passenger mount. Changing mounts shouldnt be a problem, just keep a jack under the car with a piece of wood between jack and engine to prevent damage and to keep the motor in position, although that prob wont be necessary for the front. then save up for aftermarket mounts if you plan on keeping the car!