PDA

View Full Version : Toda TCT

Reaper27
06-04-2012, 05:57 PM
Alright, well I'm about to redo my head and in the process need to change the chain and will upgrade the tensioner since i'm upgrading to stage two cams. I was going to get the hybrid racing tensioner but then today I saw that Toda has come out with a tensioner that is about $100 cheaper than the HR one. Toda is a fairly high end brand that is known for quality and if I can pick up the tensioner and the chain for the price of just the HR tensioner then I'd be down for that but if the HR is really THAT much better then I wait and get it but I was just wanting some feedback on this if anyone has experience with the Toda line or not. Thanks guys

Euro-Yellow-Ep3
06-04-2012, 06:34 PM
in my opinion no stick with the Toda, thats what in using for my build.

Also i have friends that have used both with no issues at all.

lbk02si
06-04-2012, 06:57 PM
I'm running the Toda heavy duty timing chain AND Balancer chain, i'd recommend you do the balancer as well. I went with the Hybrid Racing tensioner, but didn't really have a reason to go with it as opposed to the Today tensioner, except for the great recommendation from an import mag. i'm also running the 07 si upper chain guide bc its a little longer than the a3's and my z1's guide, and its super cheap and well worth the peace of mind.

Reaper27
06-04-2012, 07:09 PM
Ok, I haven't seen the Toda balance chain. If you don't mind how much does it go for? I think I'm going to go with the Toda tensioner just for cost benefit and it's a reliable brand.

lbk02si
06-05-2012, 11:01 AM
Ok, I haven't seen the Toda balance chain. If you don't mind how much does it go for? I think I'm going to go with the Toda tensioner just for cost benefit and it's a reliable brand.

not sure, its been awhile since my motor build was spec'd. just google it

MugenReplica
06-05-2012, 11:25 AM
Look around for some posts from "ShadowMd", he had the toda tensioner back in 2004-2007. His posts will give you some input, or just send him a PM on here.

Reaper27
06-05-2012, 11:46 AM
Cool, I'll try to hit him up. It looks pretty sturdy, the HR TCT looks a little more heavy duty but for what I'm going to be doing I don't think I need that and the Toda will save me some money.

Haha, I never thought I would hear the words 'Toda' and 'save money' in the same sentence.

shadowmd
06-05-2012, 11:50 AM
The toda was a huge waste of money. The difference between it and stock is a sleeve inside the tensioner. Don't waste your time
With it. It's twice as expensive as OE but no better.

MugenReplica
06-05-2012, 12:06 PM
The toda was a huge waste of money. The difference between it and stock is a sleeve inside the tensioner. Don't waste your time
With it. It's twice as expensive as OE but no better.

Thanks Sam!

shadowmd
06-05-2012, 12:19 PM
No prob man. My old setup (complete valve train and cams) killed 5 stock tct's and 2 toda tct's. Get the hybrid racing one. When my toda failed I was cruising on the highway at 70mph. The chain snapped and caused $$$$ in damage. Spend the little extra now and not more later

Reaper27
06-05-2012, 04:06 PM
Damn, that really sucks but I guess it is worth it in the long run

firmk20
06-05-2012, 04:22 PM
No prob man. My old setup (complete valve train and cams) killed 5 stock tct's and 2 toda tct's. Get the hybrid racing one. When my toda failed I was cruising on the highway at 70mph. The chain snapped and caused $$$$ in damage. Spend the little extra now and not more later

what cams were u running when it broke?

shadowmd
06-06-2012, 05:29 AM
Skunk2 stage 2's but stage 1's were just as bad as far killing tensioners goes

Jukka
06-06-2012, 06:29 AM
what about the skunk2 TCT? it looks pretty beefy and its cheaper than the hybrid racing one too.

roomclearer
06-06-2012, 08:35 AM
hey guys im hearing this about toda tct but im running bc stage 2 cams and duel springs etc and i have had no problem with the toda tensioner maybe its just the skunk cams i think. but otherwise i have the toda tct and ill push car to 7800 rpm n no problems so idk but i stay away from skunk2 cams thats for sure.

shadowmd
06-06-2012, 10:57 AM
Yeah this was a few years ago...no longer have the ep....and I was revving to 8800rpm, sometimes 9,000 lol

roomclearer
06-06-2012, 08:12 PM
Oh lol im only goin to 7800 . Hey question i got kpro tuned etc n other day i started car first start of day n cel was on n it was in limp mode. Drove down rode shut it off turned it back on n cel gone n drove normal again n hasnt done it sinse. Any idea why?

Reaper27
06-06-2012, 08:23 PM
Oh lol im only goin to 7800 . Hey question i got kpro tuned etc n other day i started car first start of day n cel was on n it was in limp mode. Drove down rode shut it off turned it back on n cel gone n drove normal again n hasnt done it sinse. Any idea why?

It was probably the crank voltage at start up. Kpro has a safety feature that if your car doesn't crank with at least 10V then it will go in limp mode and through an error code when you plug it in like daughter board voltage low or something like that. I have a system in my car and it throws it once in awhile if I've been jamming out a lot. I have to unplug the battery for about a minute tho for my to go off.

As far as the TCT I'm also interested in the quality of the Skunk2 TCT. Anyone have any experience with it? I've never heard anything really bad about the skunk2 cams till now, I'm going to run mine just because I have them and got a really good deal on them haha but I don't want anything to snap or blow up on me either

MugenReplica
06-07-2012, 07:04 AM
Honestly all the negative press aside, Skunk2 makes quality products. The last time they messed up was with there first batch of 3 lobe K-series cams. Other than that, they've put out some good stuff over the years. I've heard their customer service can be a little annoying, but other than that I'd give it a shot.

Reaper27
06-09-2012, 06:17 AM
Honestly all the negative press aside, Skunk2 makes quality products. The last time they messed up was with there first batch of 3 lobe K-series cams. Other than that, they've put out some good stuff over the years. I've heard their customer service can be a little annoying, but other than that I'd give it a shot.

I agree, plus heres a link where the owner of Hondata reviews the skunk2 tct and gives it a good review
http://cms.skunk2.com/id/513/Hondata-Owner-on-Skunk2-Timing-Chain-Tensioner/ for $157 I think I'll try it especially since I'm going to be using skunk2 cams as well. I have another question but it has to do with the valvetrain and is a little off topic. I was going get a Brian crower set of springs, seats, retainers, etc and was told that super tech makes really good products and is a little cheaper. Is this true and also what type of valvetrain should I get? (not including valves, not replacing those).