PDA

View Full Version : Sylvania Silverstars question

team ERA 5
01-08-2003, 12:09 AM
i was watching SPEEDVISION when they put theses lights on a wrx GAWD DAMN I WAS LOVING IT could someone give meeh the light# and how much they cost???? i kno nothing about lights....and pics if any

1fastminivan
01-08-2003, 12:21 AM
They do have them for our cars. We use the H4 application. They are sold as 9003s I think.......that is the same thing. Pricing is around $40 or so for the pair. I could be wrong. My friend got them for his 99 civic and they are pretty good. I love them......but Ive had HID before and you just cant compare. My friend got his from autozone. Im gonna hold out for HID. Its worth the money IMO.

glw
01-08-2003, 10:08 AM
1fastminivan is right on! They are sold in the US as 9003 and mine were $19.99 USD each. The 9003 seem to be harder to find (here in SoCal?), their not even on Sylvania's web site. The stores seemed to have 9004, 9005, 9006's but not 9003's.

Anyways, I got mine at an Autozone store in Long Beach, CA. Good Luck!

2K2SilverSi
01-09-2003, 11:48 PM
Compared to stock... well there is no comparison. These bulbs light up the road millions of times better. Compared to my dads s2000 they dont light up the road for shit. but for around 40 for both the bulbs it cant be beat. Not only that but they dont look ricey like the blue "hyper white" bulbs that everyone and there mom has

I-4Si
01-13-2003, 11:58 AM
I just put the SilverStars in this weekend. Makes a big difference. I installed them around 1pm. I had to wait a few hours before I got a chance to see the difference. I picked them up at Autozone for about $43 including tax. They didn't have them in stock a couple of months ago. (9003's), but now they have a slot for them.

hamproof
01-13-2003, 12:01 PM
It is white now compared to a dirty yellow.

However, it doesn't illuminate anymore than the stock bulbs. Comparing to HIDs is like comparing a K-Mart special diamond ring to a Tiffany.

HIDs looks bluish/whitish w/ the 300% or so more light to back them up.

1fastminivan
01-13-2003, 01:27 PM
HIDs are the way to go............by the way.......if you pull out a 4100k bulb out of a lets say for example a BMW.......if you pull it out and turn it on.........you get the color white/yellow. The reason for the cool blue looking color is from the optics in the housings. Now they do make 5000k and up bulbs so they dont look white/yellow.......but you lose a little bit of light output compared to 4100k.............but stilll better then halogen.

the silverstars have a slight tint to them. They do light up nicely......and yes they are whiter then the stockies.

Turbo EP
01-22-2003, 11:52 AM
I picked up a pair a few weeks ago and for the price they are just as good as the PIAAs I had in my EG.. I got mine at Pep Boys and the cashier gave me a $10 rebate coupon when I was leaving. Nice deal.

EP33
02-01-2003, 11:41 AM
Price 19.99 EACH
Model# 9003 ST at Autozone. not including $10 mail in rebate good through 6/30/03 (get it from Sylvania website or maybe in-store).
-Light is white (not blue or yellow) compared to stock.
-(IMHO) Not brighter compared to stock.
The bulb is physically shorter & fatter than the stock bulb. It doesn't sit as far forward in the reflector like the factory bulb. Still can't compare the brightness to HID (of course) nor the price ($41 vs $500+install time).

My rating is a 7 (out of 10)

taikahn
02-01-2003, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by EP33
Price 19.99 EACH
Model# 9003 ST at Autozone. not including $10 mail in rebate good through 6/30/03 (get it from Sylvania website or maybe in-store).
-Light is white (not blue) compared to stock.
-Not brighter compared to stock.
The bulb is physically shorter than the stock bulb and doesn't sit as far forward in the reflector like the factory bulb. I am going to adjust the beam higher to compensate. Still can't compare the brightness to HID (of course) nor the price.

Pics up soon.

I have the same bulbs -- Id say they are way frickin lighter than stockies --- at least my stock bulbs.

EP33
02-01-2003, 01:10 PM
Only had one night with them so far. See pics below. I did pull next to a Benz that had HID and the color was the same. Of course the HID was brighter, but again the same color.

EP33
02-01-2003, 01:13 PM
1 More Pic

soniccar
02-01-2003, 07:11 PM
I put Silverstars in my 2000 Si and it seemed as if, when it rained, the bulbs didn't light worth anything. In fact, it seemed, even in the dry, there was more of a pronounced cut off and they would not light signs or the back of cars past the bumpers. Maybe my aiming was off (exactly the same on each side, though) but I doubt that since my gas station that does state inspections has a device to measure that. Maybe it's just the glare they put off, because I'm not too happy with my EP stock lights in the rain, either... everything reflective seems to just glare at you in the rain, and if the road markings are non-reflective, you don't see them. My 2000 EX is brighter than the sun, lights the back of cars, and every catepillar on the road. Has anyone else experienced this problem? I'm going to save my money for fog lights to light the road better. What do you guys and gals think of the accessory fogs?

most_hatedSi02
02-03-2003, 11:01 AM
I just bought mine yesterday. I paid 25.00 per bulb. I know OUCH. I bought a cheaper set of SuperWhites, well the damned bulb blew out after having them for 2 months...hopefully these will last a bit longer. I'm gonna check for the goddam rebate cause I felt robbed!

word...booty
02-04-2003, 07:57 AM
Is there any warranty on the Silverstars? Anybody had them burn out yet?

Si4U2NV
02-07-2003, 07:39 PM
yeah i just bought these today and installed em on my sisterz camry (also 9003) and they r nice... i agree wit hamproof COMPLETELY they r CLEANNNNNNN white..not dirty yellow...thatz the best way to describe it...nice clean crisp white light...

got em for 19.99 each plus tax..

:D

-Mike

JSIR
02-08-2003, 08:29 PM
I thought they came with a decent warranty, I haven't checked for a while but I thought it was 2 years or 1 year warranty. Either way it is much longer than the competition. I think these bulbs are designed to last longer than the other crap you find in the aftermarket. PIAA's were only warranted for 90 days last time I checked. I've run mine for 6 months and so far so good, but they should be better considering they cost more than most bulbs. Ive got an article in one of the sport compact mags where they compared the Silverstars to regular bulbs, the silverstars did have a better light pattern putting down bit more light on the road. The colour is real clean and sharp, I refer to it as a silver or chrome white look to them. nice.

dtexan
02-09-2003, 07:26 AM
I had a set in a 99 Accord they lasted about 1 year then they both went out within a month of each other. Not to bad compared to the NOKYA's that were in it before they lasted only 2 months and blew up.

TravisEP3
02-09-2003, 07:50 PM
A popular mod it seems. I picked mine up at PepBoys for 24.95x2 + tax. For around 50 bucks I think it is one of the better mods out there. The light coming out of these is a lot cleaner white as opposed to the stock somewhat yellowish. Havent had them long so I cant say anything about how long they last but I am very happy with them. High Beams are incredible.

JSIR
02-09-2003, 08:20 PM
when I bought mine there were some cheaper APC stuff next to them, but they were much higher wattage. You can get some brighter bulbs out there but they draw more power, most likely won't last very long and could possibly melt the stock housings. Things to be weary about. The Silverstars cost more money but they use the stock wattage and do provide a better light pattern and colour.

ep3guy
02-10-2003, 01:42 AM
Originally posted by dtexan
I had a set in a 99 Accord they lasted about 1 year then they both went out within a month of each other. Not to bad compared to the NOKYA's that were in it before they lasted only 2 months and blew up.

Did the silverstars blow up or did it burn out?

dtexan
02-10-2003, 06:00 AM
The silverstars just burned out

EP33
02-10-2003, 01:06 PM
Just wanted to add that I adjusted my headlight beam up slightly so that the beam starts a few feet in front of the bumper. When driving at night I can lean forward and see the light pattern begin. I have seen other cars with their beams adjusted this way and it's seems beficial. I haven't gotten flashed by anyone else yet so it must be all good.

ta2dSi
02-18-2003, 12:20 AM
I had them on my 01 Nissan Frontier, and I loved them... I used to be the ass with the bright lights behind cars in the fast lane that wouldn't get out of the way.

I have no idea on the warranty, but just before I traded it in, I had one burn out. I just went and bought a new one, since they are only 20 bones.

I'm not sure if I want to put in the silver stars, or if I want the HID's....

SIborland
02-21-2003, 07:43 AM
Hahaha! Got mine for $15 ea. Gotta love working at a Toyota dealership and getting their prices for everything. ;)

djsolution
02-25-2003, 12:52 AM
Just FYI for those of you who keep burning out headlamps... be sure not to touch the bulb with your fingers when you're installing it. Any oil from your fingerprint can heat up on the surface of the glass and cause it to burn out (usually within a week or so). I found this out the hard way back in high school, after a salesman at autozone took pity on me and gave me the same advice (I was in for my third replacement bulb in less than a week).

EP33
06-22-2003, 10:25 AM
:mad:

One of my Silverstars quit. I drove down a dirt road with plenty of washboard and I guess the lowbeam couldn't take it. Pulled them out and put the stock ones back in. If I can't get a replacement :rolleyes: then I'll have one silverstar for sale :D

Silverstar=NOT WORTH IT.

Makross
06-22-2003, 10:55 AM
i agree mine burned out both at the same time

most_hatedSi02
06-22-2003, 07:01 PM
I haven't even had these bulbs a year and one already blew out!
What kind of shit is ths!

hamproof
06-23-2003, 06:09 AM
Those of you with burnt bulbs, are you sure you did not touch the bulb when you install it?

I wore latex gloves when I installed mine. Had them on since Dec 02 or Jan 03. They still works.

However, I would like to emphasize again. They are just a novelty item. I prefer the whitish over the yellowish look and color. There's no way they produce any more light than OEM nor are they even remotely close to real HIDs.

EP33
06-23-2003, 08:23 AM
A friend of mine works at Intel, anyway I asked him if I could pull my EP into the clean room where P4s are assembled. He said cool, but why? I told him "I need to install my Silverstars".

Maybe I should have gone to AMD, that probably would've given me about 15 WHP if I installed the Silverstars there.

LASI02
06-25-2003, 04:31 PM
Silverstars are no comparison to HID's. It makes me wanna cry when I pull up next to someone who has HID's. But for people on a budget ,or like me that wanna buy other stuff first, silverstars aren't that bad.

EP33
06-25-2003, 09:20 PM
HIDs are the bombay. I would not buy Silverstars again though, or any aftermarket non HID bulb for that matter.

I hope the aftermarket HID kits don't burn out quick.