PDA

View Full Version : Ordering a Kpro finally, have enough dough for one more big mod. Thoughts?

TheBestUkester
06-07-2012, 09:56 AM
Finally got around to ordering a K-Pro, convinced the wife that the Powercard just wasn't cutting it. I have budget for 1 more significant modification (ontop of the OEM parts I am ordering).

So here is my question: which would you get, which is best HP/$, and if you were to do all options, what order would you do them in. (basic engine I have: Injen Type-S intake on the way, 440cc injectors, Shorty headers, axleback, JRSC, grounding kit/voltage stabilizer on the way, solid motor mounts)

Option 1: Methanol injection + DIY test pipe. I live and daily drive in Phoenix AZ. Meth would really help keep everything cool in there, and as a bonus give me better burning and what not. So Cooler + HP seems like a good thing to me.

Option 2: Used Race Header / Used Catback. I already have a shorty header, and an axleback, so I think for HP/$ a test pipe or high flow cat would do for now? I think I would go 3" if I do for the swap in the future.

Option 3: Merc Racing inlet + DIY test pipe. Better flow for the Type-S Injen I just ordered.

Option 3: Cams. Not sure which brand, I like BC (especially if/when I swap to a k24a1), but Skunk2 has some good reviews online...

Let me know what you genius's think. I am really leaning to Meth... And yes i know the downsides and all that jazz, I have done a TON of reading up on it.

mitchlikesbikes
06-07-2012, 10:00 AM
my vote would be to keep it simple and go RH/exhaust.

Manny Kid 15
06-07-2012, 10:10 AM
I would also vote for the used race header and exhaust

MANNY KID 15

Euro-Yellow-Ep3
06-07-2012, 10:29 AM
Option 5 Vtec killer. Get A2 numbers out if a A3. Plus I have the cams lmk

mitchlikesbikes
06-07-2012, 10:32 AM
Plus I have the cams lmk

i see what you did there.

los
06-07-2012, 10:54 AM
lol man i wanted those cams !!my bad Euro-Yellow-Ep3 for laggin but i dont even have k pro so i gotta start there sorry for the off subject lol

TheBestUkester
06-07-2012, 11:48 AM
I don't mind the complexity of Meth at all guys. I am looking for Dollar to HP performance/benefits.

You guys think a RH and catback will provide more overall gains then Meth / test pipe?

The guy that is going to weld my test pipe could also weld in a valve to go from whatever system I have to straight pipes instantly. That might be an option too actually...

differentK
06-07-2012, 12:09 PM
i would take it in steps- your lacking in the flow department so i would start there. i would skip cams all together- look into a decent exhaust first... then a RH... then add a smaller pulley and meth. RH and exhaust should be your first steps though- dyno tune it then go from there. i would say once you plan on making more than 9psi- meth is a great addition... thats where im at as well.

TheBestUkester
06-07-2012, 12:31 PM
If I just go with a dump valve that would totally take care of back end flow without giving me the annoying catback drone 100% of the time yea? If I was to do that I would just rock the stock axleback until I flip the switch.

Can K-Pro handle that? I am assuming I would need two tunes, one for restricted and one for straight

differentK
06-07-2012, 04:13 PM
you could run an electric cut out- but i would only do that for the track. talk about obnoxiously loud. idk about 2 tunes though- you would have to talk to your tuner about it. id keep it simple- a decent RH/ Exh combo would perform nicely and sound good without the drone.

Euro-Yellow-Ep3
06-07-2012, 06:13 PM
i see what you did there.

lmao, i also have type s cams.

Powers
06-07-2012, 07:04 PM
I agree with the below. Basics first. It sounds like your jumping the gun. The way I look at it is do the basics and get ready for the big mods. So a cold air (which you have already) and a race header and catback would be where to start. I deffinetly notice a difference with mine even without kpro. With that JRSC going for more flow would help ya best.

superchargedk20
06-07-2012, 08:02 PM
If ur not running the 3.8 pulley then i wouldnt do the meth. I agree with what most said. Get a good rh with a nice exhaust. U need that high flow first. I only ran the meth when I went with the 3.8 pulley.

TheBestUkester
06-08-2012, 10:45 AM
Cool thanks guys.

I guess the way I was seeing it was: Already have shorty header, getting test pipe will improve flow (not as much as RH/Catback, but better then stock) so the $ to HP/benefits of a cooler engine when its 120* out would outway a catback/RH.

Does that make sense?

But if you all think RH/Catback would be a better choice then I will keep looking into that route.

Are the diameters of RH for the Type-S better for supercharged engines like ours? Are the diameters even different?

mitchlikesbikes
06-08-2012, 10:52 AM
getting meth before even a race header and exhaust seems ridiculous to me. even if it is hot outside, you're not going to be reaching any point where meth is going to be necessary to make more power. meth on the stock drinking straw sized exhaust won't do much.

TheBestUkester
06-08-2012, 10:55 AM
getting meth before even a race header and exhaust seems ridiculous to me. even if it is hot outside, you're not going to be reaching any point where meth is going to be necessary to make more power. meth on the stock drinking straw sized exhaust won't do much.

what I needed to know.

So i am leaning towards HKS, nice sound, doesn't sound all fart cannish. Litte hard to find used. I am in no rush.

The supercharger FAQ states that there are optimal Race Headers, but then doesn't list which ones. Any recommendations?

And I am thinking 3" even though its louder, just because it would be better for the K24 swap right?

superchargedk20
06-08-2012, 06:30 PM
3in exhaust isn't gona do anything for u until u start making over 250 whp. As for race header . There'd kiddracing dc sport buddy club .

ep3k20
06-08-2012, 06:42 PM
If ur not running the 3.8 pulley then i wouldnt do the meth. I agree with what most said. Get a good rh with a nice exhaust. U need that high flow first. I only ran the meth when I went with the 3.8 pulley.

i completely agree, i ran a 50/50 meth/ water set up when i was JRSC (3.8) and it tended to have more problems then it did benefits. I vote RH and a GOOD exhaust, it will help that bitch breath better

superchargedk20
06-08-2012, 09:30 PM
Why did u have problems? I ran just regular washer fluid and with 3.8 pulley and meth I made real good numbers.

TheBestUkester
06-08-2012, 10:03 PM
3in exhaust isn't gona do anything for u until u start making over 250 whp. As for race header . There'd kiddracing dc sport buddy club .

No i know the brands, and think I want a 4-2-1. But the FAQ specifically mentions optimal brands, but then doesn't list the best ones. It says the Injen Type-S intake is a bigger diameter (followed up by my own searching and researching) so I know thats the best. But there is no solid dyno sheets or facts or whatever I can find on race headers for supercharged ep3's.

And eventually I think I will be making a bit over 250hp? After the mods planned and a k24 swap? I just don't see the need to buy things twice? Unless I would need a whole new exhaust anyways... The things above I plan on doing eventually, just slowly over time ;)

superchargedk20
06-08-2012, 10:31 PM
Ohhhhh. This whole time I though u were talking about a k20a3... Yea I don't really recall much testing fo a header. There is one header that was highly recomended . I forget what it was called off the top of my head. But it has to be special ordered and cost over a grand. If u search hard enough you will find info on it here, but again for 1k I duno. I thought I went HAM when I ordered the buddy club one. It cost me 720 and that was a sale price lol. I would stay away from the dc sport one, I recall it wasn't great. I heard kiddracing is really good, but the buddy club was a real good header, just pricey

TheBestUkester
06-08-2012, 10:40 PM
I like the way the J's race 4-2-1 header looks. 2 piece and all. Really effing pricey.

I have a hard time finding for sure specs on any of them is the problem...

differentK
06-10-2012, 08:43 AM
the kiddracing RH is nice- i am using one now. it would also benefit you when you do the k24 swap since it should fit with your stock front sway as mine did. i cant really agree that you NEED a 3in with a k24... im using a custom 2.5in with mine- it breathes just fine and im just over 300whp. after you take care of the basic bolt-ons and are looking for more boost/ power- i think meth is the way to go. im in the process of adding a smaller pulley and meth to my setup as we speak.... aiming for 340-350whp at around 9-10psi

TheBestUkester
06-10-2012, 08:46 AM
the kiddracing RH is nice- i am using one now. it would also benefit you when you do the k24 swap since it should fit with your stock front sway as mine did. i cant really agree that you NEED a 3in with a k24... im using a custom 2.5in with mine- it breathes just fine and im just over 300whp. after you take care of the basic bolt-ons and are looking for more boost/ power- i think meth is the way to go. im in the process of adding a smaller pulley and meth to my setup as we speak.... aiming for 340-350whp at around 9-10psi

Bingo, just what I needed to know. I was working on the car yesterday, looks like the PO has some custom mid pipe as well as this axle back. didn't notice that before...

Not that it really matters, but still. Interesting he went through the trouble of having a custom mid pipe welded, but went with a shitty twin loop axle back.