PDA

View Full Version : Coilover locking ring keeps coming loose, need advice...

imthebro
06-08-2012, 06:17 PM
Fellow Ephatchers !

I have a 2004 Ep3 with coilovers that are giving me a few headaches,

Like these:
http://www.driftworks.com/shop/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/e/p/ep3civic1.jpg

The design of the coilovers are so that height is adjusted independantly from the springs via a threaded body design. The locking ring at the bottom then secures the two together.

The problem I have been experiencing is weird. The driver's side locking ring will work itself loose during track use, no matter how hard I tighthen it after (I.e. with a freakin' hammer). The thing gets loose again.:confused:

In light of this, I though I may have had worn LCA bushings and replaced both sides with Urethane ones. same thing happenned.

The alignment is set to -2.1 neg camber, toe is zeroed out and the car is not super lowered. I'm a dedicated track toy that does not see street use that often.

I'm wondering if there is anything else I should look at that could cause this behavior to occur...

I decided to go on a semi budget coilovers after hearing good reviews from fellow track guys running these... but I'm starting to think the design is just flawed for a car like an EP3 with a stupid suspension design that has the tie rods attached to the shock body. (see picture).

Next step is to return these to the vendor, obtain credit and get something else (likely KW V2s that are not so budget oriented anymore...) but I want to see if there is something I am missing.

any ideas ?

ep3k20
06-08-2012, 06:49 PM
I have experienced the same problem with hard turns during track time. My BEST solution is to run thread lock (red do not use blue) on the threads. i backed mine out out of adjustment and gave a handsome amount to the threads and than ran my spin nut back into position and have not had a single problem, and because its a temporary lock, i have successfully been able to re-adjust it with no lock up problems. Give it a go see if it works

imthebro
06-08-2012, 06:59 PM
Thanks

I had the front units replaced under warranty 1 month ago thinking it could have something to do with defective units. I had tried the thread lock (blue non permanent) on the previous front shocks and it did hold up. But I still don't like this. ...

Which coilovers are you running ?

ep3k20
06-08-2012, 07:16 PM
Buddy Club N+ Spec's ** correction you are right its the BLUE locker not the red i had it reversed) I know its sorta "ghetto" but under track conditions does it really matter? only one that will ever see it is you right?

imthebro
06-08-2012, 07:18 PM
It works :-)

I'm just trying to see if there could be something else causing this

ep3k20
06-08-2012, 07:30 PM
I believe it is from such hard turns that puts adverse pressure within the "system" that it necessarily cant handle. You have to look at it this way, yes they are "race spec" Coil-overs, however i am sure its a faaar cry from being that much of the latter. I think they design the Coil-overs for the occasional "track use" but don't expect these sort of result which is shit as fuck, but we can only do what we can do man

imthebro
06-08-2012, 08:04 PM
I agree. Much more geared towards the occasional track day.

In my case tight, technical tracks with tighter turns will amplify the issue where as big hp tracks ( I. e Mosport) with long sweepers will not cause this for the most part.

tinman5
06-09-2012, 03:44 PM
I had a similar problem on a set of Teins, turned out that the grooves on the lock ring were not properly machined. They were ever so slightly oversized combined with the weight and vibrations caused by driving, there was simply not enough positive tension to keep the ring locked.

I *think* if you were to switch the lock rings you would have the same issue on the other side as well.

callmegnarly
07-16-2012, 04:15 PM
I just wanted to ask, I've got Megan Racing coilovers on my 04. I have the same problem but I put locktite on it and that locking nut is secure, but it still turns thus raising my ride height and causing a binding/twang noise from the spring. Just wanted to know if anyone had any suggestion?

tinman5
07-16-2012, 04:30 PM
Thats odd. My car never went up, the lockrings would always go down. Maybe contact Megan customer service?

My thoughts and experiences may not in fact be similar to yours, so as with all my thoughts and experiences, consider them with a grain of salt.

callmegnarly
07-16-2012, 04:47 PM
Yeah it is really odd. This is actually my first set of coilovers, so I guess I really don't know what to expect when it comes to problems. I'm really glad though that I'm not the only one having this problem (even if mines a little bit different). I'm going to contact Megan Racing tonight and see if they know what to do or if they think the part is defective. Just want to thank you tinman5 for your quick response.

tinman5
07-16-2012, 05:57 PM
Well I apoligize that it is not much of a response, but that is the best I can give you.
That is unfortunately the inherent cost of going aftermarket. Dont for one second think you can just set it and forget it. Be conscious of your modifications and upgrades. No matter who makes it, at some point it failed someone. Be responsible about how you care for the car, not so much what you add. Inspect it. Never take for-granted that even the best pop out a defect.

The preceeding statement is just my opinion, so its probably offensive to someone reading it and therefore it is wrong. Take said opinion with some skepticism and as always, with a grain of salt.

callmegnarly
07-17-2012, 07:46 AM
I appreciate your response. I know that even though it may not be what I want to hear, it's the truth. I also would like to add that I also bought budget coilovers and I think I got what I paid for. Ill prolly just end up taking these things off, and saving up for a good shock and spring combo. I hate that I lost money on these, but hey live and learn.

black05ep
07-17-2012, 08:44 AM
Maybe try that teflon tape to lock bolts and stuff together? With tnat maybe youbcould build it up enough to not come loose and still adjust it?

callmegnarly
07-17-2012, 02:21 PM
Black05ep that's actually not a bad idea. I'm going to try it and then let you know how it turns out. Also to anyone who cares I email Megan Racing and they told me that my problem was that I hadn't tightened down the nut enough, and that my problem was just an adverse affect of McPherson struts. I believe that except I've tightened the crap out of those things and it continues to happen.

black05ep
07-17-2012, 03:19 PM
Black05ep that's actually not a bad idea. I'm going to try it and then let you know how it turns out. Also to anyone who cares I email Megan Racing and they told me that my problem was that I hadn't tightened down the nut enough, and that my problem was just an adverse affect of McPherson struts. I believe that except I've tightened the crap out of those things and it continues to happen.

Thanks. Let us know how that works.

callmegnarly
09-11-2012, 09:25 PM
Ok, for those that still have a problem. I took my car to a shop iRide customs in Arlington Tx in case anyone is familiar with the area. Because I has loctited the ring it wouldn't come loose no matter how hard the guy tried. I ended up having to order a new strut from Megan Racing who told him that with the rings it's hit or miss sometimes those rings come loose and sometimes they don't. Anyway he tack welded the ring to strut assembly after tightening it first. Since I'm not really going to adjust the ride height that much this will work for me. He also told me that if I needed the ride height adjusted he could just cut the welds. It's worked so far. Just a suggestion for anyone willing to listen.

rd02SiR
09-13-2012, 05:38 AM
I had this problem with my Megans, Only the driver side, and a buddy wth an em2 has the same problem.

I just used a BFH (big fuckin hammer). and fuckin gave her hell!! She's been good to me so far...but it was a real problem. I ddidn't know Megan was actually aware of this. I'm looking to get a better set up in a few years anyways..

callmegnarly
09-18-2012, 04:26 PM
I had this problem with my Megans, Only the driver side, and a buddy wth an em2 has the same problem.

I just used a BFH (big fuckin hammer). and fuckin gave her hell!! She's been good to me so far...but it was a real problem. I ddidn't know Megan was actually aware of this. I'm looking to get a better set up in a few years anyways..

Yeah I didn't know they were either until the owner of the shop I took it too called them. I've tried to hammer it but all I managed to do was fuck up the locking nut and ruin the spanner wrench.

rhdsirek4
09-18-2012, 06:45 PM
Time for some new/different suspension.