PDA

View Full Version : Mugen 25mm rear sway bar

Suk02Si
01-08-2003, 04:21 AM
http://www.randdmotorsports.com/ep3_bumper_small.jpg (http://www.randdmotorsports.com/mugencivicsi.html)
click pic

-New Mugen Suspension Parts for 2002 Civic Si
-25mm Rear Sway Bar
-52300-XK5-S0N0-B2
-$ 390.00

Suk02Si
01-08-2003, 04:28 AM
Just thinkin' of a few things...

-Civic/Integra Type R rear sway is 22mm and goes for $100

-Civic/Integra Type R front sway is 23mm, not sure on price, also same as RSX-S

-Mugen rear sway is 25mm and goes for $390

I want to go with the Mugen rear bar and Type R front bar, that should help with our understeer problem

If your going with the Type R rear bar(22mm) then get Energy Suspension part# 9.51586 sway bar bushings

todaCspec
01-08-2003, 07:15 AM
how about just going w/Progress front and rear sway bar? also comes w/rear lower tie-bar for reinforcement of the subframe. the whole Progress set up will be less than the Mugen rear sway bar.

02SilverSiHB
01-08-2003, 07:28 AM
Originally posted by todaCspec
how about just going w/Progress front and rear sway bar? also comes w/rear lower tie-bar for reinforcement of the subframe. the whole Progress set up will be less than the Mugen rear sway bar.
correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the front progress bar bigger than the rear one...I'd rather have a bigger rear sway than a bigger front sway

Jpax
01-08-2003, 07:40 AM
well the problem with a bigger sway bar in the rear the car will not use it or take advantage because it dosnt weight that much. the front bar is bigger because there more weight up front (motor,driver) in back there not much weight so no need to build it up. to soke up that mass of enegry building up..... thats why the bigger bar in front. :D Thats my story...;)

Cone Killer
01-08-2003, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by PaXiE
well the problem with a bigger sway bar in the rear the car will not use it or take advantage because it dosnt weight that much. the front bar is bigger because there more weight up front (motor,driver) in back there not much weight so no need to build it up. to soke up that mass of enegry building up..... thats why the bigger bar in front. :D Thats my story...;)

ok...nice story.

The reason why there is a large bar up in front to begin with is to create understeer, which is more predictable and some what safer than oversteer. If one was interested in better turn performance that person would at the minimum JUST replace the rear bar and make it bigger, thereby counteracting the front bar and setting the car in a oversteer situtation, which is more suited for autocross and the like. Some one argued with me about this and said why not replace the front too. I say, doin't do it. The decreased body roll is not worth recreating the understeer that the car came with and that you are trying to get rid of. Some people even take OFF the front sway bar, but I've never heard in my 3 years of autocross of some one putting a larger sway bar on the front of a front wheel drive car.

siep
01-08-2003, 10:24 AM
This one is nice.
http://solar.innercite.com/comptech/140115si.html

Cone Killer
01-08-2003, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by siep
This one is nice.
http://solar.innercite.com/comptech/140115si.html

progress is still less money for the same thing.

02SilverSiHB
01-08-2003, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by Cone Killer

progress is still less money for the same thing.
I agree on both your comments :D

K20NutBucket
01-08-2003, 11:51 AM
also be advised that the bigger the rear sway bar the more you decrease the space between it and the muffler. same as the muffler, get a cat-back increase piping. I have a progress sway bar and a comptech cat-back and when i turn on a bumpy surface it tends to rattle a lil bit. just a heads up. oh by the way i love the sway bar and definitly notice a difference.

siep
01-08-2003, 12:19 PM
I dunno, the Progress one compared to the Comptech one looks much weaker and cheaper. The comptech one uses billet aluminum brackets and tiebar. The Progress looks like stamped steel with thin end brackets. Just my 2 cents.

todaCspec
01-08-2003, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by K20NutBucket
also be advised that the bigger the rear sway bar the more you decrease the space between it and the muffler. same as the muffler, get a cat-back increase piping. I have a progress sway bar and a comptech cat-back and when i turn on a bumpy surface it tends to rattle a lil bit. just a heads up. oh by the way i love the sway bar and definitly notice a difference.

i'd keep a close eye on the piping, the sway bar will damage it sooner or later because it's making contact.

all i know is when i upgraded front and rear sway bar(ST) on my EH-9, i felt a big difference in handling.

Cone Killer
01-08-2003, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by siep
I dunno, the Progress one compared to the Comptech one looks much weaker and cheaper. The comptech one uses billet aluminum brackets and tiebar. The Progress looks like stamped steel with thin end brackets. Just my 2 cents.

Looks good enough for me...but do as you please.
http://www.trailingsilence.com/dave/ephatch/progress1.jpg

Cone Killer
01-08-2003, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by todaCspec
all i know is when i upgraded front and rear sway bar(ST) on my EH-9, i felt a big difference in handling.

Of course you would feel a difference. Now the car has less body roll. What you can't feel and measure by saying "I felt a big difference in handling" is oversteer or understeer, and that is what is in question, not does it make a difference or not.

Suk02Si
01-08-2003, 01:46 PM
instead of getting a Progress 22mm rear bar, you can get the Type R rear bar for about half the cost and same 22mm size

Cone Killer
01-08-2003, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by Suk02Si
instead of getting a Progress 22mm rear bar, you can get the Type R rear bar for about half the cost and same 22mm size

I would have gone that route, but I don't konw how to get one.

02SilverSiHB
01-08-2003, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by Suk02Si
does it come with some subframe reinforcements, like the progress one does...I've seen subframes go because of stiffer bars. But then again, if the subframe is the same on our si as it is on the type r, then it doesn't matter

Suk02Si
01-08-2003, 05:33 PM
this is frustrating, I can't seem to find the site that had the Type R rear sway in stock for $100, all I remember is that it was a JDM site, not Options, not JHP, not JDM J-Spec, not RandD, and not Fizz, I can't find it:(

I'll keep looking though

and no, it's only the rear bar for $100

chakra71
01-13-2003, 08:41 PM
found this thread on a search.. heheh just in time. My friend has an RSX-S and he's about to upgrade to a new rear sway bar and has offered to sell me his for $100. The posts i've read here suggest that that's a good thing to do (i'm a suspension newbie, but i'm learning).

What is the size of our stock sway bar? Is the rsx-s bar the same size as the CTR/ITR bar? Would the stock bushings off his car work with mine, or do you suggest upgrading while we're doing the work? And... my boss drives a 2002 civic ex and i might could convince her to buy my bar if it would improve her car some too, anyone know the size of the EX bar, same as ours?

Any input is greatly appreciated. :D

Suk02Si
01-13-2003, 09:43 PM
Type -S rear bar is 19 mm, ours is 13mm or so and the type r is 22mm, which is what I want. The bushings from the rsx will work fine, they're already sized for that bar. Ask him if you can have his front instead which is smaller than ours. Then you can get a progress rear which is 22mm and your car will handle much better

Suk02Si
01-13-2003, 09:43 PM
Type -S rear bar is 19 mm, ours is 13mm or so and the type r is 22mm, which is what I want. The bushings from the rsx will work fine, they're already sized for that bar. Ask him if you can have his front instead which is smaller than ours. Then you can get a progress rear which is 22mm and your car will handle much better

chakra71
01-13-2003, 09:54 PM
Thanks Suk02Si, I think that for now i'll go with the type-s bar in the rear and when/if he does the front i'll try to get that too. saving my penies for hondata right now, but i'm dying to take some of the body roll out. Cant afford tires/wheels yet which would help the most probably and i'm waiting to find some good shocks/struts before i do the springs so this looks like a good intro to suspension mods.

Cone Killer
01-14-2003, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by chakra71
Thanks Suk02Si, I think that for now i'll go with the type-s bar in the rear and when/if he does the front i'll try to get that too. saving my penies for hondata right now, but i'm dying to take some of the body roll out. Cant afford tires/wheels yet which would help the most probably and i'm waiting to find some good shocks/struts before i do the springs so this looks like a good intro to suspension mods.

Just so you know...the RSX-S bar is $70 shipped from http://www.acuraautomotiveparts.net/

chakra71
01-14-2003, 05:40 PM
thanks, just saved me a bit of cash

RacingCivicSi02
01-14-2003, 09:51 PM
Does comptech have a sway bar for our cars yet??

02SilverSiHB
01-14-2003, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by RacingCivicSi02
Does comptech have a sway bar for our cars yet??
yeah, it's a sway/tie bar package that it come with, expensive :(

RacingCivicSi02
01-14-2003, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by 02SilverSiHB

yeah, it's a sway/tie bar package that it come with, expensive :(
how much??

02SilverSiHB
01-14-2003, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by RacingCivicSi02

how much??
either 649 for the adjustable type or 399 for non adjustable. Comes in red and clear http://solar.innercite.com/comptech/media/140-115

http://solar.innercite.com/comptech/140115rsi.html

http://solar.innercite.com/comptech/140110si.html