PDA

View Full Version : Broken wheel studs...need help

mugencivic02
06-10-2012, 09:55 PM
Hey guys...so i break two wheel studs on my front left wheel. But can get to the studs. I cant get the hub holding them off. Ive tried searching but cant find anything. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Manny Kid 15
06-10-2012, 10:04 PM
Just buy new wheels studs... When I broke one I took them off and took them down to my local shop they use a machine and remove them and can also replace them with new ones but I think you should probably get some aftermarket ones like ARP or blackwerkz extended stud kit. I know you can probably do it yourself but if your like me and don't have the tools I would take it to someone that can do it fast especially if you DD your EP

If you feel comfortable doing it yourself
on most hondas, you hammer out the old stud, then put the new stud in. Then stack a few (like 5-10 depending on thickness) washers onto the stud, and tighten down the lug nut to pull the stud into place. Then you put the wheel on and torque the lugs down. I like to torque them to 100ft-lb, honda says 90ft-lb on most of their cars, but I like to keep things snug up there.

be sure to re-torque the nut after a few days of driving. the heating/cooling cycles will probably create some play in the stud after awhile.

MANNY KID 15

Her-Name's-Ally
06-11-2012, 07:23 AM
Studs are easy to replace if you have an impact gun. Like manny said hammer it. but on the lug and draw it in with the impact gun. Or a wheel stud at autozone is $2 but I recommend going to the dealer because the studs at autozone are a little shorter than the OEMs.

mugencivic02
06-11-2012, 09:23 AM
Thanks for the help fellas....Im just having trouble removing the hub thats on the studs. I think Im just going to have my car towed to a mechanic to remove it.

Her-Name's-Ally
06-11-2012, 09:58 AM
sure boss good luck and let me know how it turns out. Btw me and 3 of my other buddies with ep3s go cruise in your area if you would like to go cruise with us shoot me a PM

Euro-Yellow-Ep3
06-11-2012, 02:32 PM
that sucks, but if i were u id get ARP studs.

Her-Name's-Ally
06-11-2012, 03:07 PM
the problem I was having with the blackworks was they were a little too long. I had to remove the break gaurd to fit it in. Kind of annoying

bluedemonep3
06-11-2012, 04:55 PM
yea removing everything up to the hub is easy, the hub itself is a bitch to remove with all that rust build up. If you have time and tools you can do it yourself, but if you dont, just take it to a shop it shouldnt be more than like $20-$40

mugencivic02
06-12-2012, 12:41 PM
Thank you everyone for the help. I keep having trouble removing the hub. But after calling around I was told to remove the whole assembly and have a mechanic remove the hub. I would love the have the arp or blackworks, but money is pretty tight right now. But I will try removing it myself again one more time. Again thanks for everyone's input, its appreciated. I will keep you updated.

lemonhead228
06-12-2012, 12:53 PM
I just got a used set from ericDELUXE for 60 shipped. Waiting for it to come in. but arp is the way to go, their material is top notch.

mugencivic02
06-14-2012, 09:00 AM
UPDATE: So after calling around...it was going to be around 70-80 bucks to remove the hub. I found a dismatler that had the left front spindle for sale. Bought it for 100 and will replace the whole unit. Maybe a little more expensive, but a lot easier.

mugencivic02
06-19-2012, 10:13 AM
UPDATE: So I fought that damn thing but was finally able to replace it. But when I wanted to test drive the car. Damn thing wouldnt start!!! Damn its killing me. But its seems like im getting no ignition. Starter turns over and all electronics work. Not sure what it could be...any ideas. Im going to check it when I get home tonight.

Her-Name's-Ally
06-20-2012, 11:37 AM
similar thing happened to me. just turned out to be a dead battery. had to buy a new one. take your battery to auto zone and make sure its good, they will check for free. maybe try and jump it first.

mugencivic02
06-21-2012, 04:52 PM
similar thing happened to me. just turned out to be a dead battery. had to buy a new one. take your battery to auto zone and make sure its good, they will check for free. maybe try and jump it first.

Yea, thought the same thing and tried a jump. But no luck. Had a mechanic come by the house and check it out. Fuel is flowing, spark plugs are working fine. Just doesnt want to turn over. He tried using a OBDII reader but no codes came about. He thinks my ECU is dead. I almost wanted to slap him when he said that. So going to have someone else look at it. But thinking timing may be off.

tinman5
06-21-2012, 06:49 PM
It may be the starters solenoid that crapped out. Remove the starter and have it checked at whatever parts store nearest you that does such things. As always, double check fuses and connections before actually removing anything.

Her-Name's-Ally
06-22-2012, 12:35 PM
Yea, thought the same thing and tried a jump. But no luck. Had a mechanic come by the house and check it out. Fuel is flowing, spark plugs are working fine. Just doesnt want to turn over. He tried using a OBDII reader but no codes came about. He thinks my ECU is dead. I almost wanted to slap him when he said that. So going to have someone else look at it. But thinking timing may be off.

did you take the battery to auto zone. cause mine would not even jump. It seriously went bad in a matter of 3 hours. Turned it on fine when I got home went to run to the store and no dice. If it is not the battery maybe its the starter? Idk problem always ends at the battery for me.

mugencivic02
06-25-2012, 01:23 PM
Thanks for everyones input....its appreciated. I checked all fuses. Everything is good. But Im going to get both the battery and starter checked to make sure I have all my bases covered. Hope its one of the two. I need my car back.

Her-Name's-Ally
06-25-2012, 03:59 PM
good luck buddy let us know how it turns out

mugencivic02
07-03-2012, 11:40 PM
UPDATE: Motor is dead according to the guys at Demonwerkz. Getting pricing for a k20a2. Hope not too expensive, but have no choice at this point. Man when it rains.......

gamma6
07-03-2012, 11:48 PM
How did that all happen? I mean u went from broken studs to a dead motor? What happened in between?

Her-Name's-Ally
07-04-2012, 06:54 AM
How did that all happen? I mean u went from broken studs to a dead motor? What happened in between?

Good question. damn thats a bust. but I like where you are goin wit the swap. I wish mine would go out some times so I would be obligated to swap.

good luck man keep us posted

mugencivic02
07-05-2012, 01:02 PM
Well to let you all know what happened in between, I broke the studs at my sister in laws place. I had the car towed to my house to work on it. She lives in apts and you cant work on your car there. So from what I was told, the tow driver who initially hauled it tried to strap a donut on the wheel and run it up the lift. Well the last studs broke and the car dropped. So from what I can assume, the drop caused the timing chain to jump, and when I tried to start it everything internal just got wrecked. Hope it makes sense, cause Im still trying to wrap my head around it.

lemonhead228
07-10-2012, 09:23 PM
UPDATE: Motor is dead according to the guys at Demonwerkz. Getting pricing for a k20a2. Hope not too expensive, but have no choice at this point. Man when it rains.......

Demonwerkz are good ppl. The guy that owns the shop is a member on here. Flepstar. Hope everything turns out for you brah

Her-Name's-Ally
07-11-2012, 08:24 AM
Well to let you all know what happened in between, I broke the studs at my sister in laws place. I had the car towed to my house to work on it. She lives in apts and you cant work on your car there. So from what I was told, the tow driver who initially hauled it tried to strap a donut on the wheel and run it up the lift. Well the last studs broke and the car dropped. So from what I can assume, the drop caused the timing chain to jump, and when I tried to start it everything internal just got wrecked. Hope it makes sense, cause Im still trying to wrap my head around it.

Cant you sew the tow truck driver? thats his bad, kinda

mugencivic02
07-12-2012, 11:03 AM
Demonwerkz are good ppl. The guy that owns the shop is a member on here. Flepstar. Hope everything turns out for you brah

Yea, Bernard out there has been very cool with everything. Helping me out with my car and helping me out with payment options. Ill keep you guys updated. Thanks for the well wishes.

mugencivic02
07-12-2012, 11:04 AM
Cant you sew the tow truck driver? thats his bad, kinda
I have to see what legal options I do have. A waiver was signed by my wife before it was picked up.