PDA

View Full Version : Ride is bouncy af...

Confessed
06-11-2012, 11:07 AM
Got my EP3 a few weeks back and the ride is extremely bouncy. Hit a bad bridge even after slowing down and anything in the hatch flies. It's miserable.

My question is what is needed to stiffen the ride up? Shocks? Different springs? Both?

Obviously I'm new to this.

cow
06-11-2012, 11:36 AM
I bet your struts are blown. Is the car lowered? It might be riding on its bump stops.

Confessed
06-11-2012, 11:40 AM
Previous owner said it was on lowering springs. I got a hell of a deal on this car but w/e suspension work has been done to it is horrible.

shanewdude
06-11-2012, 01:29 PM
There's a set of HFP suspension HERE. (http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?68723-BRAND-NEW-IN-BOX-HFP-SUSPENSION-JDM-parts-alpine-headunit-front-grill-etc) If you want a great daily driver suspension that is 3/4" lower than stock and a little more aggressive, then this one is great. It's not available anymore from Honda, so finding one brand-new-in-box is awesome. If I had the money, I'd be getting this one for my driving needs; daily driven but hard.

A lot of aftermarket suspensions have a crap ride, especially if they are just lowering springs on stock struts. I agree, yours might be blown. If you want it slammed, or lower than 3/4", then keep looking. Read everything in the suspension forum, and you will learn a lot about suspension for our cars.

Confessed
06-11-2012, 01:38 PM
There's a set of HFP suspension HERE. (http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?68723-BRAND-NEW-IN-BOX-HFP-SUSPENSION-JDM-parts-alpine-headunit-front-grill-etc) If you want a great daily driver suspension that is 3/4" lower than stock and a little more aggressive, then this one is great. It's not available anymore from Honda, so finding one brand-new-in-box is awesome. If I had the money, I'd be getting this one for my driving needs; daily driven but hard.

A lot of aftermarket suspensions have a crap ride, especially if they are just lowering springs on stock struts. I agree, yours might be blown. If you want it slammed, or lower than 3/4", then keep looking. Read everything in the suspension forum, and you will learn a lot about suspension for our cars.

I like everything you said and also drive my daily pretty hard. I want that kit but by the time I can come up with that money it'll be gone. I can do about $600 right now. I was thinking Tokico blues and some decent springs that don't lower more than 1.5", preferably 1". That will total about $600.

I do not corner very hard, I don't Auto-X, so I don't need anything amazing. My roads around here are ok, I've seen lots worse. I just want this damn bouncing to come to an end. It's like driving a minivan.

shanewdude
06-11-2012, 01:42 PM
I like everything you said and also drive my daily pretty hard. I want that kit but by the time I can come up with that money it'll be gone. I can do about $600 right now. I was thinking Tokico blues and some decent springs that don't lower more than 1.5", preferably 1". That will total about $600.

I hear yah. You never know about that suspension, though, it's been there for awhile! I've seen quite a few people on blues and springs. Since you live in the US, can't you sell body fluids? Seriously, if I could sell my swimmers and blood I totally would for car parts.

Confessed
06-11-2012, 02:12 PM
Looks like I'm leaning towards Tokico HP's and Tein H Tech's right now. Will be about $640 total. Thanks for your help.

mitchlikesbikes
06-11-2012, 02:19 PM
if you're gonna go struts/springs i've heard konis are much better than tokicos and cost about the same.

Confessed
06-11-2012, 02:21 PM
if you're gonna go struts/springs i've heard konis are much better than tokicos and cost about the same.

Looked at the Koni's and couldn't find all 4 for anything less than like $600. Tokico's are $450.

cow
06-11-2012, 02:22 PM
I hear yah. You never know about that suspension, though, it's been there for awhile! I've seen quite a few people on blues and springs. Since you live in the US, can't you sell body fluids? Seriously, if I could sell my swimmers and blood I totally would for car parts.

I made spending money during my first semester of college by selling plasma. I should have sold my jizz, though. I was right in the prime years, ready to pop off a nut seemingly every 45 seconds.

Euro-Yellow-Ep3
06-11-2012, 02:28 PM
Looks like I'm leaning towards Tokico HP's and Tein H Tech's right now. Will be about $640 total. Thanks for your help.

for that price just get d2's, ive had mine for about 2 years, put over 25k miles on them and have not had a single issue

Confessed
06-11-2012, 02:33 PM
for that price just get d2's, ive had mine for about 2 years, put over 25k miles on them and have not had a single issue

D2 what? Their springs lower more than I'd like and I don't see anything about their shocks.

Confessed
06-11-2012, 02:34 PM
I made spending money during my first semester of college by selling plasma. I should have sold my jizz, though. I was right in the prime years, ready to pop off a nut seemingly every 45 seconds.

I would donate as much as possible if I even knew where to go in order to get started.

EDIT: SORRY DOUBLE POST

Euro-Yellow-Ep3
06-11-2012, 02:37 PM
D2 what? Their springs lower more than I'd like and I don't see anything about their shocks.

oo Sorry, i meant D2 Full coil-overs, i paid $725 for them

ep3k20
06-11-2012, 06:15 PM

Ah shit I needed that laugh. Life is miserable here in Colorado right now thanks man

Sucka
06-11-2012, 07:06 PM
LOL!!! I love title of this thread! Keep it up!

RedSiBaron
06-11-2012, 07:10 PM

no both of those things are awful.

go koni yellows and progress racing springs, best bang for the buck and rides great, especially for daily driving.

if you think you will see track days, go with ground control sleeves over the progress springs.

Looked at the Koni's and couldn't find all 4 for anything less than like $600. Tokico's are $450.

konis are the best dampening you are going to get short of buying bilsteins, ohlins or penske, tokicos are junk, saving the 150 is not worth it. plus for what you would pay for tein springs, you would save the 150 with progress springs.

I bought my konis from king motorsports and at the time it was the best price i found.

Confessed
06-12-2012, 01:06 AM
plus for what you would pay for tein springs, you would save the 150 with progress springs.

I don't understand. Elaborate please.

Found out I'm gonna make a little more money soon so budget is going up to $750, maybe $800 if things go my way. So with this budget I'm definitely looking at the Koni's. Not sure if there are any coilover kits worth buying at this price. I can't find any at least.

Edit: Here are 6 pics, 1 of the rear(best I could get without taking a rear wheel off as well).

http://imgur.com/VZDzM,1ypJc,Gz6FS,PtxdD,0Tddr,XJr16

Edit2: Found DC5 Type R kit in good condition for a good price and snagged it.