PDA

View Full Version : Whistling noise at startup

Reaper27
06-12-2012, 03:59 AM
Like the title says, for the past little bit there's been a whistling noise when I start my car and it lasts for a little bit then goes away after driving for a bit. Anyone else have or have had this problem? It's annoying and I really want to fix it

ep3k20
06-12-2012, 06:00 AM
Is it a continuous thing? Does it get louder in higher revs? If so sounds like the belt or tensioner may be at fault

bootymeatson
06-12-2012, 06:39 AM
mine does the same thing...its on and off, it happens some days and not others...itll happen right when i start up the car and itll last until i drive for like 30 secs. also while sitting still if i push in the clutch the noise stops.

Reaper27
06-12-2012, 07:28 AM
Yea, that sounds about like mine except after I drive for about 10 min or so it stops completely

ep3k20
06-12-2012, 07:42 AM
Yea, that sounds about like mine except after I drive for about 10 min or so it stops completely

Oh that kinda noise huh sounds like throwout bearing or malfunction in the clutch. Is your clutch getting sloppy?

ImportCustomx
06-12-2012, 08:25 AM
Do you have an aftermarket intake?

And maybe its your AC Bearing/AC Clutch

Go take a peek...is there tons of brown shit everywhere? Maybe consider dropping in a new bearing. etc.

those are sometimes potential "whistles" whizzing or metal tiny touching noises

bchaney
06-12-2012, 10:34 AM
Vacuum leak? I had a car that whistled thru the intake mani gasket.

Reaper27
06-12-2012, 11:15 AM
It's not a vacuum hose for the intake, I have an AEM CAI and I've checked that. If it is the AC bearing or clutch how would I check that?

bchaney
06-14-2012, 06:47 AM
I'm not just talking about the intake hose... there are other points on the engine that draw a vacuum and if a gasket is leaking it can make a whistling noise until it warms up enough to seal the leak. This was the case on the intake manifold gasket of a car I had.

To check your accessory bearings (like the A/C compressor) use a stethoscope or a broomstick. Hold one end of the broomstick against the component you want to check (with the engine running) and the other end against your ear. If the whistling gets louder or if you hear anything abnormal (grinding, etc.) then you've found your problem.