PDA

View Full Version : limp mode ?

los
06-12-2012, 07:46 AM
i got a cel for running lean my guess is that its one of my 02 sensors i checked i u just dont remember what it was but i was looking some stuff up and i came across people talking about there eps going into limp mode after getting a cel for 02 sensors how would i know if my car is in limp mode ? it seems to be running fine i got a bad clutch so i guess im not sure if im running in limp mode or not since i drive my car at low rpms anyways, but yea what exactly does a car in limp mode do ?

SkareKrow
06-12-2012, 08:21 AM
i got a cel for running lean my guess is that its one of my 02 sensors i checked i u just dont remember what it was but i was looking some stuff up and i came across people talking about there eps going into limp mode after getting a cel for 02 sensors how would i know if my car is in limp mode ? it seems to be running fine i got a bad clutch so i guess im not sure if im running in limp mode or not since i drive my car at low rpms anyways, but yea what exactly does a car in limp mode do ?

Limp Mode is under 4k rpm. You cant go over that. Try reving higher and if knocks you down. Your in Limp Mode. :smile:

-SK

los
06-12-2012, 08:32 AM
i gotta check it out cuz i dont ever rev past 35 i keep it low cuz my clutch im driving my ep like a senior lol

sleepy ep3
06-12-2012, 10:32 AM
add moar fuel

los
06-12-2012, 10:36 AM
no k pro so i cant or i dont know how :(

ep3moschini
06-12-2012, 03:23 PM

1. If you have a CEL for running lean what is it because there are a number of lean codes. THAT would be the first step needed for me to help you, the rest of what I am about to write is just shenanagans and you might not follow.

2. EPS = Electronic Power Steering, you will no go lean from this. . . It is physically unpossible, That would be like me saying "hey chuck, My seatbelts wont work because I installed square wheels on my car"

3. If you think your car is actually in limp mode, a test can be preformed to rule it out. First open you bonnet and locate your fuse box, remove your ECU fuse (aka engine control unit aka RACE COMPUTA) SOoo remove the fuse for 300 seconds and then reinstall. You then can restart your auto and test it out.

4. I you have a defective clutch I reccomend you replace it before you look further, odds are (and Im willing to bet) your clutch is just slipping, if you dont go over 3,500rpms then you can tell if your car is in limp mode. so this is all just silly. . . REPLACE YOUR BLOWN CLUTCH

mitchlikesbikes
06-12-2012, 03:29 PM
i think by "eps" he meant the plural form of "ep3"

ep3moschini
06-12-2012, 06:01 PM
i think by "eps" he meant the plural form of "ep3"

That is a possibility, BUT I am just responding to what was said

los
06-12-2012, 09:42 PM
eps as in plural for ep3's lol clutch is bad and i know it its getting taken care of this friday and i also said efff it and pushed it to 5k rpm and it didnt do a thing so im not in limp mode but i still got that cell ill rescan it and put code up so i can be a bit more specific and be able to get some help

RedSiBaron
06-13-2012, 05:31 PM
make sure you give the number for the cel and not what the reader says, those are always wrong.

los
06-29-2012, 03:36 PM
cel code p0420 looked it up it a catalitic problem i belive so how do i fix ? o2 sensor, new cat ,or can the cat be cleaned or how do i go about trouble shooting this guys ?

los
06-29-2012, 09:59 PM
anyone ?!?!?!?!?!

los
06-30-2012, 01:54 PM
nothing ??

los
08-09-2012, 05:34 AM
need to fix this asap i gotta smog the ep need some help please heres the cel p0420

SC61Boosted
08-09-2012, 07:39 AM
Hey Los, I found a discussion on this forum that might give you some suggestions:

http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/mechanical-problems-technical-chat/274925-cel-p0420.html

I hope that its helpful!

los
08-09-2012, 08:46 AM
i checjed that link out thank SC61Boosted but that ones for running rich my code is saying the cat is bad the cars got 140k on it how long are cats sposed to last ?

SC61Boosted
08-09-2012, 10:03 AM
Well my exhaust is a straight pipe, no cat lol... so i did some research and found that some people are saying cat's can last 100K or less; others said that cat's should last 200K-300k or longer. What I kept finding is that the P0420 code is either a bad catalytic converter or a bad O2 Sensor (most likely the secondary O2 Sensor). Here’s a web site that tells you how to test your O2 sensors:

http://expertscolumn.com/content/how-test-oxygen-sensor

I do not have my Honda manual in front of me now but I will try to check it later and see what it says about the O2 sensors. Hopefully testing the O2 sensors will tell you if you need to replace the cat or one of the sensors…

lemonhead228
08-09-2012, 10:53 AM
My car got clog around 100k miles

los
08-09-2012, 11:51 AM
thanks guys and limon head by clog does that mean you were able to fix it or you just replaced it with a new one

poeticfinesse21
08-09-2012, 01:40 PM
need to fix this asap i gotta smog the ep need some help please heres the cel p0420

Here check out this thread, I helped this guy pass smog and he's in cali too

http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=3072752