PDA

View Full Version : Cat gone bad?

theMan_ny
06-12-2012, 11:03 PM
Okay so late last night I stepped on the gas at a red light and took off burning a little rubber and right after I hear a strange noise coming out the exhaust. No codes are being thrown other than a VTEC malfunction because of a dirty filter (I have the part but been lazy). I lifted the car today to see if its an exhaust leak and I got to the cat and it had a weird noise coming from it. Can't really describe it. My question is how do I know that it's bad? Also, since there are no codes can I still drive it like that? Anyone have a sound clip/ video of a bad cat? Sounds ricey ass eff but I don't have money to do anything to my car at the moment. Also checked to see if it was coming from the engine but all seems good under the hood. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

MugenReplica
06-13-2012, 06:25 AM
Does it currently look like this?

http://www.emptec.com/art/badcat.jpg

mitchlikesbikes
06-13-2012, 11:08 AM

that is the EXACT thing i pictured in my head when i read the thread title hahahahaha

Euro-Yellow-Ep3
06-13-2012, 11:32 AM

http://www.emptec.com/art/badcat.jpg

Lmao. Found the problem

theMan_ny
06-13-2012, 11:40 AM
I wanted the title to be funny, but wanted some help at the same time.

MugenReplica
06-13-2012, 11:51 AM
You'll be fine, sounds like the guts got knocked loose. You may need a replacement eventually, just keep your eyes peeled for a used catalytic in the Classifieds section, or temporarily buy a cheapy stainless ebay test pipe to clear up the sound.

MugenReplica
06-13-2012, 12:16 PM
P.S. - Worst case scenario, you'll have to buy an OEM replacment....

http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/funny-pictures-cat-is-in-car.jpg

theMan_ny
06-13-2012, 01:54 PM
LOL. Okay. The car came with a test pipe, but where the header and test pipe connect snapped/ weld came off. So Idk if ill go that route. Thanks for the input though. I guess that's why it sounds almost like pebbles are bouncing around. If I go to a muffler shop and have them do a straight pipe from the header would it be louder than a test pipe?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

RHCP0801
06-13-2012, 02:08 PM
most exhaust places wont do illegal work like that, especially in Cali so unless you know someone or bring it in with it off the car, it's probably not going to happen

theMan_ny
06-13-2012, 02:53 PM
I think I know of a place that will do it but would it be worth it? Or maybe I can buy a Megan test pipe for the time being. I just don't want the car to be loud. How I can reduce the noise? I don't have the OEM exhaust since it was changed but it was pretty quiet with the catalytic.

RotaryGreg
06-13-2012, 05:56 PM
I think I know of a place that will do it but would it be worth it? Or maybe I can buy a Megan test pipe for the time being. I just don't want the car to be loud. How I can reduce the noise? I don't have the OEM exhaust since it was changed but it was pretty quiet with the catalytic.

Im pretty sure I've seen a test pipe with a resonator in place of the cat, and it was cheapish too. probably the megan one. its likely going to be louder than stock though. When I had my rx8 straight piped it was a little louder than stock. Not horribly loud, but definitly had a bit more rumble than stock. If you have an aftermarket cat back, this effect will likely be magnified as well.

Also, if you dont sort it out soon, the pieces from the cat can get stuck in the muffler (if its a stock muffler) and then you are stuck with the rattle forever. ask me how I know. lol

theMan_ny
06-13-2012, 07:05 PM
I need to start looking then because I really don't want the car to be loud. Just not my cup of tea. The exhaust/muffler it has now is like an OE replacement I think. The brand is Xlerator?
So then it is bad driving like that. I guess I can drive slower than usual and keep the driving at a minimum until I can find something. Thanks for the help.

RHCP0801
06-13-2012, 08:14 PM
your car will certainly be louder if you do straight pipe

theMan_ny
06-14-2012, 10:25 AM
Not what I want. Lol Cops are assholes in my area. Can someone link me to something that will keep the noise level down?

RHCP0801
06-14-2012, 12:40 PM
stock exhaust lol

RotaryGreg
06-14-2012, 06:11 PM
lol, yeah, like rhcp said, stock. you know what that sounds like. volume is subjective, so peoples opinions may not help you in this case if you know you like it quiet and you know stock is quiet.

I like things quiet too so my exhaust is, and always will be, all stock. I learned my lesson with that stupid RX8. Mind you, throwing 6 foot flames out the tail pipes on track days was pretty badass. haha