PDA

View Full Version : Review: 6-Speed K20A3 on Boost *Story Time*

04EP3Hatch
06-15-2012, 08:39 PM
Well as a lot of you guys know, i blew my 5 speed trans out on the way to work, i thought i completely shredded second gear and i definately did:

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/182377_430232057007585_1415063227_n.jpg

So after trying to source another 5 speed i decided to do something i always have wanted to do, a 6 speed. Now a few people said not to that it wouldnt be beneficial on boost but i opted to try an 02-04 type-s trans with the 4.38FD, so i sourced one from Certified Racing, and i decided to go ahead and install Synchrotech 1st through 6th carbon lined synchro's, dropped off the parts at the shop and a few days later i picked it up, and like that we were off, my old 5 speed was out of the car in 45 minutes :mcool:, so in went the new 6 speed, now i know i was gonna have to swap the shifter cause of only the early year ep3's having the shifter, well out of all that ive seen i must be the first 04' lol my shifter required nothing at all to go into reverse. So i back out of the shop and go for my first ride and it grinded the HELL out of 3rd gear, so i drove it back with a huge frown, called the builder and he apologized greatly and said i am ordering the parts to replace what could be the issue. So now we did a land speed run and in 51 minutes had the trans out and the subframe back in the car trans-less with the front motor mount assisting the side mount holding it up and rolled out of the shop. Brought the trans down to the builder and sure enough the slider to 3rd gear was hanging up pretty bad, so it was replaced with oem brand new out of the bag at no cost to me. Finally get the new trans back in, fill it with castrol gtx 5w30 just for a day or two to flush out all the break in carbon lining that comes off and whatever parts solvent was left in there. So after a long wait i take it out and its butter smooth in every gear, first is a little stiff but i imagine once i change the break in fluid, to oem honda for a little while then maybe some redline MTL later down the road, it will be fine.
So now onto driving, WOW what a difference from the 5speed, i mean really, comes into boost easier, more fun to drive/scoot around, etc. Even my girlfriend noticed the big difference. Now full throttle, its a WHOLE world of difference, there is a new feriosity the car never had, the way it rips through the gears now is absolutely awesome, i havent shifted it hard yet cause i am a little scared to lol, but i have ran it 2nd through 5th and i gotta say it is a gigantic difference in the way it pulls. I was worried about the shorter gearing hurting the speeds in which i hit in each gear but it really isnt horrible, 2nd gear pulls to about 62, 3rd pulls to 83-85, 4th pulls to 112, and i havent tested 5th fully, where as stock 2nd would go to 66-67, 3rd would go to 97, and 4th to 128, and 5th i had to 165 and still had a few hundred rpms left lol. All in all i am VERY happy with the decision made, once the trans is fully broken in i am going to get a full acceleration clip flat foot shifting to compare to my old 5 speed's video. The ONLY downside to this swap is the lack of electric lockout, it makes trying to bang 5th gear a little challenging and scary lol

Here is my old 5 speed vid for a reference:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ita4VHmmRXg

And my new 6 speed vid, mind you im in need of a retune so this isnt full potential:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3dAe-Kjc7c&feature=youtu.be

preludeh22vtec
06-16-2012, 03:17 AM
From the video, it looks like it was fast before! I'll be awaiting the new video with the 6 speed.

USAF EP3
06-16-2012, 09:28 AM
Glad you ended up liking the trans swap! I have the Z3 trans in mine and it definitely puts more pep into the K20A3. With the 5 speed it feels lacking that Honda peppiness but with the 6 speed it definitely revitalizes the experience.

Need a video of you ripping it through the new trans! Don't be scared, I rip through mine everyday!!!

1GR8EP3
06-16-2012, 11:47 AM
Nice glad to hear things worked out for you... you will like the mpg's that come with that tranny as the rpms sit lower in sixth due to the final drive. I have the same tranny and cant complain. Cheers

04EP3Hatch
06-16-2012, 09:32 PM
video added!!

mitchlikesbikes
06-16-2012, 09:33 PM
that thing CRUISES. nice pull man

USAF EP3
06-17-2012, 07:30 PM
That's what I love about the 6 speed man, keeps you in that powerband UGH!! I WANNA DRIVE MY CAR RIGHT NOW!!

Euro-Yellow-Ep3
06-17-2012, 07:44 PM
Good thing u chose a decent builder who wasent a dick.

04EP3Hatch
06-18-2012, 09:24 PM
got sick and tired of these bullshit CEL's, just ordeded FIC650cc injectors, piping and couplers to make a fresh air intake pipe, and i just need to get with my buddy to remake my downpipe and install my greddy evo TT exhaust then installing a turbosmart ultra gate 38mm gate with a 10psi spring, then retune time, i know the boost may only be a half a lb more but im hoping with the fresh air pipe, larger exhaust, and most importantly the MUCH better injectors, i can make better power than 297

1GR8EP3
06-19-2012, 08:20 AM
becareful you dont want to push that a3 past its comfort zone... keep the 297 those are acutally really good numbers

AKEP
06-19-2012, 05:54 PM
that 5 spd def looks faster.

Euro-Yellow-Ep3
06-19-2012, 06:34 PM
IS there a way to wire the lockout? With kpro? Im looking for info but i cant seem to find it anywere.

sleepy ep3
06-19-2012, 08:03 PM
Hate to break it to you, but the 5 speed is actually better for boost. Six speed gears are too short. I love having a highway gear tho. Best combo is 5 speed with tsx 6th pressed on.

monjarassi
06-19-2012, 08:15 PM
i got to go with wat sleepy says too.

mitchlikesbikes
06-19-2012, 09:44 PM
i think a stock sick speed would be worse than the 5spd, but doesn't this have a longer FD?

USAF EP3
06-20-2012, 09:20 AM
If you want to get technical and go for the longest stock trans, the base RSX 5-speed would take it. 4.3 FD and the longest gears of all K20 trans, install a TSX 6th gear and you got a stock trans that will get you over 180 MPH. That is if you got the engine to go that fast.

mitchlikesbikes
06-20-2012, 09:36 AM
i'm not saying this six speed is longest, but it's just not quite as bad as it would be if it were stock.

04EP3Hatch
06-20-2012, 02:47 PM
this has the 4.3 final drive, and honestly yes the 5 speed vid looks much faster, it was also on a fresh tune that was maybe a week old and it was 30 degrees out, the 6 speed vid i took with a vtec system malfunction cel and on a 70 degree humid night. i think if i did the vid's the same day they'd be identical in acceleration, mind you guys i will have another vid when the car is retuned with the new parts, and remember im not upping the boost MAYBE more than a half a psi so the power increase would be 10whp at best

AKEP
06-24-2012, 11:50 PM
9.5 - 12psi on a tune is good for like 45hp tho. lol - the base rsx has LONG 1-2 gears tho, with sticky tires that should help net you some good 60ft and 0-60 times vs any other transmission. and the tsx/accord 6/5th would make a sick highway gear.

but you're right, the type-s vs ep3 trans shouldn't make a difference in acceleration, they've already proved that na 1/4 times were the same. my theory is with boost, you'll want to shift less in any race environment since you can swing the power.

you should put the ep3 gears on the 4.3 final. and add a tsx/accord 6th/5th.:mbiggrin:

ep32424
10-14-2012, 10:35 PM
with the 5speed tranny i think its faster.

amagtibay
12-02-2012, 04:16 PM
the 6 speed swap is a no go. You will have a tough time launching the car. My name is Archie, I used to have a 2002 silver boosted ep3 and did a 6 speed swap back in the day. You will go thru first gear quick and you will have a tough time because your going thru more gears instead of being in a longer gear. Your top speed will be a bit higher thou. Rocky and the guys from Showstoppers will vouch for me. I suggest also getting a bit larger injectors for you to run e85....

gtimportfanatic
12-11-2012, 12:11 AM
it's called launching in 2nd gear guy lol.. and E85 ain't too common around here for a daily driven vehicle, so pumpin it is the way

04EP3Hatch
12-11-2012, 08:55 AM
http://youtu.be/JDBnrf_nbyU

gtimportfanatic
12-14-2012, 11:04 PM
so im guessing you didnt blow ur head gasket... what was the issue?