PDA

View Full Version : Cooler thermostat cause CEL?

Reaper27
06-17-2012, 09:21 PM
I'm about to swap out my thermostat and fan switch for a mishimoto thermostat and buddy. Lib fan switch and was wondering if it will through a CEL for running colder? I didn't think so but read a few places that it was possible and wanted to see if anyone had this issue before? I want to swap it out soon if it doesn't cause issues cause its about to get really hot where I live and wanted it in there before summer hits full force.

Reaper27
06-20-2012, 06:10 PM
Bump for info

tinman5
06-20-2012, 07:54 PM
Here in central Texas its been averaging 100* plus for well over a month; I prefer to upgrade the radiator itself as opposed to running a lower temp thermostat. The thermostat dies not make the engine run cooler per say, rather the coolant extracts the heat from the engine and the radiator extracts heat from the coolant. The longer the t-stat is open, the less time the coolant rests in the radiator. Its nit picking details, I know, but to my simple mind that is how I choose to deal with crazy Texas heat. Thats just me though.

It is possible to throw a code with a lower temp t-stat but I do not believe it will cause driveability problems the same as, say, a faulty o2 sensor. I would guess for every 20 individuals that do the same modifications there will always be that ONE guy that has a given issue.

monjarassi
06-20-2012, 09:45 PM
Im turbo and this summer I deleted my thermostat n no cel here.

Reaper27
06-21-2012, 04:54 AM
Ok, I kinda see what your saying. I was just worried about the thermostat being open more and it throwing a coolant code for being too cool. I was going to basically replace the emote coolant system, rad, hoses, thermo, fan switch.

monjarassi
06-21-2012, 10:18 AM
Thermostat ain't electric u wont get a code for it.

Reaper27
06-21-2012, 12:24 PM
Its not caused by the thermostat itself it's caused by the temp sensor in the engine going off because the coolant temp didn't reach the proper temperature in the right amount of time based on the outside air temp